“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Peele has said before that GET OUT was a "social horror" where the underlying theme of racial tensions is what drives the film. He's said that he wants to do a whole series of these, and this is most likely the second. I've only seen the movie once and I've been stewing about it for an hour, and this is just my opinion, but I think the underlying theme is poverty.

The copies live underground, near or in the sewers.

Red mentions that they eat cold, raw rabbit, they don't have good quality of life, and everyone on the surface takes what they have for granted. (Red would know, she once had these things).

The copies are the impoverished, the lowest class.

Then we have Adelaide's family. They have what appears to be a vacation home, but they also don't have top of the line stuff. They remark that their friends have better boats, cars, etc. They have enough. They are the middle class.

The friends are the upper class. They have the nicest home, newest technology, etc. BUT they all hate each other. They drink all day. They barely talk to one another. They're comfortable. That's why they die without a fight.

The middle class fights because they're forced to. They're being challenged.

The lowest class fights because they HAVE to. Something's gotta give. It's not just one family. It's an entire population that needs to help each other out from one end of the nation to the other.

The cherry on top is Adelaide. She rose up from the lower class (through devious means) and fights tooth and nail to protect her rung on the totem pole, but she also sympathizes with the copied kids who die. She takes pity on them. She sees herself in them, they're just trying to do what she succeeded in.

The line "We're Americans" also expounds on this idea. America is a beacon of capitalism but it also emphasizes their humanity.

Saw this on reddit

This is by far the best explanation of the movie I've seen. And if this is what he's going for, than major congrats. Still has some logic issues, but I enjoyed the movie. But not more than GET OUT.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Didn’t rush to see it this weekend since the overall buzz wasn’t that great. I’ll watch it sometime next weekend most likely..

I mean what were you expecting Captain America numbers? I'm not attacking you but my theater was pretty damn full at 5:15 on a sunday.

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Through their sheer weirdness — their scuttling movements, their violence, their primal language, their creepy smiles, and their apparent lack of purpose beyond “killing everyone and holding hands a lot” — we come to think of the Tethered as Others early on. They are monstrous, and their physical resemblance to those above ground only establishes an uncanny valley that makes them that much creepier.

That assumption — that the Doppelgangers are different, shadow figures — helps cement the audience’s belief early on that Adelaide must have successfully escaped from the carnival maze. After all, compared to Red, she’s so fully human, so powerfully emotive, so loving and caring — right?

So the revelation that she was born in the Underground is jarring to us for multiple reasons. Not only does it make us think differently about Adelaide herself, but it forces us to reconsider our views on the rest of the Tethered. They’re clearly every bit as human as we are — capable of living fully self-actualized and happy lives above ground.

And this is where Peele’s metaphorical work really pays off. Because once we start thinking about the Underground as an allegorical space that represents dehumanized and marginalized bodies, then suddenly “we” are forced to contend with the troubling idea that perhaps the only things separating “us” from various “thems” — society’s countless marginalized communities — are chance and privilege.

I think that's what I liked most about this movie.

That and the "5 on it" horror remix :wow:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm kind of with you. The film DIDN'T NEED AND EXPLANATION TYPE ENDING. Son see's Mom do some vile shyt. *Thinks to self...hmm my mom wouldn't do that* and you could have saved a good 10 minutes. What would have been more interesting is if the "other's" made demands or something to that effect.

But his mom would do that and did do that lol. The clone is the mother of the children lol