Unemployed Black College Graduate pretends to be white and gets a ton of job offers

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Yall are late on this...University of Chicago did a study on this.

I will say this though. The problem is that black people see videos like the one in the OP and either give up, or start talking all that black revolution shyt.
Both are wrong.
If you see large numbers of white boys in your city doing nothing every day but being a leech on society, its natural for you to assume white people in general are like that.
its stupid, and shows how little people actually think, but that seems to be human nature (to not think).
If we had larger numbers of black folks taking care of business they would have no choice but to respect the hustle....I.E. Asians. They still talk bad about them, but they are known to be smart and work hard...so they fukk w/ them on that level.

Study:
Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas

The authors find that applicants with white-sounding names are 50 percent more likely to get called for an initial interview than applicants with African-American-sounding names. Applicants with white names need to send about 10 resumes to get one callback, whereas applicants with African-American names need to send about 15 resumes to achieve the same result.

In addition, race greatly affects how much applicants benefit from having more experience and credentials. White job applicants with higher-quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower-quality resumes. Having a higher-quality resume has a much smaller impact on African-American applicants, who experienced only 9 percent more callbacks for the same improvement in their credentials. This disparity suggests that in the current state of the labor market, African-Americans may not have strong individual incentives to build better resumes.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
This

Ownership is more important than anything and building some of our own networks to support black business growth and black employment.

Yea but in the mean time, how do we get jobs. Our bills won't just stop coming for 10 to 20 years while we revamp the entire power structure in America.

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm at least glad to see that nobody was surprised by her findings.

Black WOMAN though.

I need to see how a black man would have faired.
Black men wouldn't have done much better. There is a well-known study showing that white men with criminal records are more likely to receive callbacks after applying for a job than black men with clean records, even when their resumes and previous experience are identical. I'll link it if I can find it.

Wait in America you have to check off your race on job applications?

Sent from royalty using Tapatalk breh
It depends on how you're applying. If you're filling out an application on a company's website then most of the time they will have an "optional" section where they ask you to identify your race. A lot of jobs simply ask for you to email a resume and cover letter to their organization directly, so for those situations they wouldn't know your race unless you revealed it on your resume.

radio rahiem

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mount Vernon, NY via Trinidad & Tobago
I'm at least glad to see that nobody was surprised by her findings.

Black men wouldn't have done much better. There is a well-known study showing that white men with criminal records are more likely to receive callbacks after applying for a job than black men with clean records, even when their resumes and previous experience are identical. I'll link it if I can find it.

It depends on how you're applying. If you're filling out an application on a company's website then most of the time they will have an "optional" section where they ask you to identify your race. A lot of jobs simply ask for you to email a resume and cover letter to their organization directly, so for those situations they wouldn't know your race unless you revealed it on your resume.
here you go
Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Daps
Reppin
Australia
We ain't shyt from a global perspective.

If you truly believe that then that is how you will be treated. You're just reinforcing the idea for all these a$$holes to judge you, because you just made it sound like it was okay.

Have some trust and confidence, man, you will be surprised how far it can take you.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This just confirms my biggest fears

:pacspit: at the private sector

What is your biggest fear exactly?

Being discriminated against? You're black so the shyt happens. But it shouldn't be "fukk the private sector" but more so fukk whatever company for not hiring you because you're black or your name sounds black. There is NOTHING wrong with working in Corporate America, imo and working there doesn't make you an Uncle Tom or ass kisser. It makes you a person with bills and perhaps a family that you need to support.

BLAZO da GAWD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW ERA
Has anyone ever considered living out of the country? It's quite obvious the race relations in this country are piss poor. I've told my moms I don't plan to reside in the US in 5 years from now or so. I know some level of racism exists in most countries but the intensities and overtness seems to differ drastically in comparison to the US.

Even reading the YouTube comments is so disheartening. How anyone can defend what happened to Yolanda is beyond me.

I'll be meeting with a career adviser at my school on Tuesday. This thread opened my eyes a bit and will help me prepare for the worst when I'll be applying this summer.

gangreen

Top Notch
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn #byrdgang
What is your biggest fear exactly?

Being discriminated against? You're black so the shyt happens. But it shouldn't be "fukk the private sector" but more so fukk whatever company for not hiring you because you're black or your name sounds black. There is NOTHING wrong with working in Corporate America, imo and working there doesn't make you an Uncle Tom or ass kisser. It makes you a person with bills and perhaps a family that you need to support.

Biggest Fear that I am qualified and still not get an opportunity to interview based on something as arbitrary as race. This was just evidence of it.

:whoa: This wasn't a personal attack breh, I am happy you found a place in corporate America.

but the private sector is full of these discriminatory practices, more so than the public sector.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Has anyone ever considered living out of the country? It's quite obvious the race relations in this country are piss poor. I've told my moms I don't plan to reside in the US in 5 years from now or so. I know some level of racism exists in most countries but the intensities and overtness seems to differ drastically in comparison to the US.

Even reading the YouTube comments is so disheartening. How anyone can defend what happened to Yolanda is beyond me.

I'll be meeting with a career adviser at my school on Tuesday. This thread opened my eyes a bit and will help me prepare for the worst when I'll be applying this summer.

Good thing about US is discrimination in the open is not allowed.
Not the case everywhere else

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Biggest Fear that I am qualified and still not get an opportunity to interview based on something as arbitrary as race. This was just evidence of it.

:whoa: This wasn't a personal attack breh, I am happy you found a place in corporate America.

but the private sector is full of these discriminatory practices, more so than the public sector.

I didn't feel you were attacking me, I was just confused as to why you would be scared. You're black and I personally feel it comes with the territory but it shouldn't scare you, I think it should motivate you hustle even harder. Be the cream of the crop and when you land an opportunity (because you will), be appreciative and make the best of it by building a strong financial foundation for yourself. Being appreciative doesn't mean saying "Thank you white 'suh for giving me dis opportunity" but moreso being fully aware that your resume could have been tossed before you made it this far.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps

You will find a job breh but the thing is you will have to put in 10 times more applications than I white candidate will. I made a thread about this before and how my white friends would get easy jobs making great money just because the hiring manager "liked" them. I know white dudes with business degrees and no experience, making 80k plus straight out of college.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Funny story, my two year old son is one of two black kids at his montisorri school amongst a sea of Korean kids and a few whites. He has two best friends in his class who are white who he constantly talks about when he gets home. One of their mother's were trying to set up a play for my son and her son through my wife via email. So when the kids put on some Winter play at the school for the parents to watch the kids perform, I guess that's where that kid's white mom didn't realize my son whose named "Bryce" was a black kid....because when she saw my wife she seemed soooo disappointed and distant. Little to say there was no scheduled play date...but the silver lining is that my son's name will at least fool these clown ass bigots enough to get him in the door. :heh: