Uncut Gems | Discussion Thread

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I think part of the reason some people aren't liking this movie is because the advertising makes people expect to see a tightly-paced thriller, as opposed to a more contemplative character study (more of A24's deceptive bullshyt. They never learn).

The movie's very good on the whole. I thought Sandler, Garnett, and Menzel were all great, and the film did a fantastic job of translating the feel of being in a hectic New York business district onto the screen. Special shout out to Garnett, who showed enough despite basically playing himself to make me want to see him do more films (Julia Fox was doing the same thing, but with none of the subtlety Garnett brought to the role. Garnett was a specific version of himself, Fox just literally played herself. I kind of don't understand why everyone wants to make her the next big actress find off of this performance). And I'll say that, despite some contrivances, the final act of the movie was great and plenty tense.

The problem, however, is that the Safdie Brothers took what should have been a 105 minute movie at the most, stretched it to 135 minutes, and crammed a bunch of unnecessary subplot into it. If you break everything down to base components, then what you get out of the film is that it's largely a remake of Bad Lieutenant that combines the religious and gambling themes into one overriding compulsion for Howard. That's actually a really interesting movie by itself, but the message gets crowded by the family and mistress subplot, which aren't really consequential plotlines at all. You could cut 90-95% of Fox and Menzel's scenes and lose none of what makes this movie good. We don't NEED to know anything about Howard's family life, and Julia really only needs to be there to get Garnett's money to the Mohegan Sun in the final act (the Mohegan Sun doesn't do sports betting, but that's another, much less important issue).

But even when you focus on the central conflict (Howard/Arno and co./Garnett and everyone else in the primary orbit of the opal), there are some thematic issues that the Safdie Brothers really don't work out to their full potential, the biggest one being the relationship between Howard's Judaism and his avarice. The movie begins with a grievously injured Ethiopian mine worker being taken to his bosses, while other miners find the opal, then fast forwards to Howard receiving said opal (bought for $100,000) and trying to screw everyone into giving him $500,000-$1,000,000 for it. There's racial, religious, economic, AND political charge to this: the white Jew is profiting off of the suffering of Black Jews, in a more prosperous nation while the latter receive nothing for their labor and pain. What this means is that Garnett asking Howard how much he paid for the opal after their transaction, and later asking Howard how right it is that he profits while the workers get nothing should be an incredibly charged moment in the film, the point where many of its themes come to a head and propels us into the final act. And it's probably the best scene in the film because of Sandler and Daniel Lopatin's score, but it's still lacking because the Safdies basically buried those themes under the weight of Howard's love life for 70% of the film (also, it was the one moment where you could say that casting Garnett was a bad decision. The original player they had in mind for the film, Amar'e Stoudemire, would have made those themes come together so much more strongly, as it becomes an issue of not just race and wealth, but also shared Jewish identity. It's no longer a question of "how could Howard do this to them?," but "how could Howard do this to OUR people, his own people?" Even Joel Embiid would have been better thematically, being Cameroonian and having more of a connection to African wealth than Garnett).

None of those critiques are meant to imply that I didn't like the film: it's very, very good. But it's also a good candidate for worst Safdie Brothers film (the only other candidate probably being The Importance of Being Robbed, their very first film) and I just can't understand why certain critics are acting as if this is some amazing masterpiece. Good Time was better than this.
I disagree people complain too damn much.

U needed to see Julia in the lingerie you need to see her playing with herself to get ready for Adam. Him bursting into the room yelling “I’m about to cum” was one of the funniest scenes and seeing her like that lingerie out booty cheeks out was the sexiest scene in the movie. U needed to see that she got his name tatted on her ass. U need to see it was real she liked dude for the degenerate he was. Howard’s kid was a great addition he killed it and the scene of him having to take a shyt in a neighbors house was also hilarious.

Amar’e couldn’t have been the guy for the film because if you know basketball that’s the year he punched the fire extinguisher and the Knicks lost in round one in 5 games he did nothing. KG on the other hand had a throwback series averaging 20/11 against Philadelphia in a 7 game series. As far as the plot of the movie goes it was about KG being motivated by this Opal and proving he’s not washed. Stoudemire being Jewish would add nothing who cares? I don’t think Stoudemire was even claiming Jew yet or was at least in the beginning stages of his Hebrew Israelite shyt. Embiid wasn’t in the league in 2012 so they would have to push the movie ahead some years throwing off the entire timeline they had in mind and he also doesn’t have the the playoff dominance, this was based off a real basketball series. They needed to show that the basketball player was motivated by Howard, and the Boston-Philly series was perfect given Garnett’s play and the fact that series went to the wire, it was a betting mans dream.

The movie is fine at it’s run time people attention span is just trash and people like to point out plot holes that don’t exist.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Having The Weeknd in it was also great because it showed the links between the jewelry game, entertainment industry, and underworld.

It was also one of the most comedic scenes in the movie and was able to encapsulate that time of early 2010’s when Weeknd was first coming up and the NYC nightlife.

Weeknd was very much doing those type of clubs and was running around with French Montana in NYC in those early 2010’s days.

Last edited: