Uncut Gems | Discussion Thread

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I’m tryna figure out why he didn’t pay him back the numerous times he could’ve.

even tho arno got the goons on him, howard probably was still thinking since they fam that he still had that connection to put it off and that Arno wouldn't completely go off on him

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
even tho arno got the goons on him, howard probably was still thinking since they fam that he still had that connection to put it off and that Arno wouldn't completely go off on him

yeah that makes sense... especially considering the end. But damn this dude Howard was insufferable. Even mollywhopping this dude multiple times didnt get him to change

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
can someone explain how much he owed Arno? I’m tryna figure out why he didn’t pay him back the numerous times he could’ve. Especially when Garnett gave him the $165k and they were on the way. I get dude was addicted but he was getting snuffed, running out of his kids play, etc. He was clearly scared.

Howard was annoying af the whole movie so I wasn’t mad at the end.

I believe he owed him $100K.

I watched this earlier today, and it just didn't work for me. I guessed the ending when they froze the first bet he hit on.

I get that the point was to show that his gambling problem was incredibly serious, but some of the decisions he was making were absolutely astounding. If you owe money to a bookie, in most cases, it's I'll advised to place a bet in the same city, or in the same circle to pay them off. But what's crazy is that if he just gave a reason WHY he wanted to invest in Garnett so heavily, the bet probably could've stayed under wraps. But, I get it, it's a movie.

This is one of those movies where the audience is supposed to realize that there's only one outcome, while the protagonist is delusional or unaware, but it felt like they had eliminated all other options by the halfway point.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I thought this was overrated.

A few weeks ago I saw Good Time, and then this.

The Safdie brothers seem like very good art school directors but there is no character arc in the two movies I've seen. The plot seems somewhat aimless.

I guess they go for grit and city feel and ramp up the boiling of emotions in their movies but I don't see .... I think it is better to say it feels like they have room for growth.

If I had to rate Uncut Gems I'd say it is a 6.
This and Good Time felt like a souped up, wannabe Kids (1995), but with adults. Like, they try to capture that feel, not that story line obviously

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I believe he owed him $100K.

I watched this earlier today, and it just didn't work for me. I guessed the ending when they froze the first bet he hit on.

I get that the point was to show that his gambling problem was incredibly serious, but some of the decisions he was making were absolutely astounding. If you owe money to a bookie, in most cases, it's I'll advised to place a bet in the same city, or in the same circle to pay them off. But what's crazy is that if he just gave a reason WHY he wanted to invest in Garnett so heavily, the bet probably could've stayed under wraps. But, I get it, it's a movie.

This is one of those movies where the audience is supposed to realize that there's only one outcome, while the protagonist is delusional or unaware, but it felt like they had eliminated all other options by the halfway point.
The movie ain't deep it's just a character study to me.

Howard reminds me of a good friend of mine. He has a gambling addiction, no credibility and never learns. He always falls off the wagon and does things that just don't make sense. But he's a sympathetic person so you can't help but want to not see him suffer. But at the same time you don't lend him money, don't do him favors or rely on his word. He's totally unreliable and I always joke that he's grandfathered in. He's currently in county.

This guy just took shyt too far because he was in a desperate situation. He still owes other people and the movie shows how he's just living on borrowed time. Nothing goes right until its too late.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
First time rewatching since theater experience, I honestly like it a lot better on rewatch because I have a better sense for who the characters are.
I guess I won’t bother watching the rest of it. Sandler is doing his best Pacino impression
He played the character as it was written perfectly. He's a degenerate gambling addict who can't stop :manny:

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
*high thoughts*

I’m so confused at this movie. Why does KG want this opal so bad? Why is Adam Sandler just wildin out so much? Been biting nikkas, getting snuffed, trying to snuff the Weeknd. Whole shyt got me like :dwillhuh:
why does this young chick like him?

soundtrack is weird too
the score should've been nominated for an oscar. great musical score.