The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
finally seen it, and it didn't disappoint. Sandler was great

:krs: :mjlol: @ the weeknd and Howard getting into it w/ him

but :russ: @ the John Amos one, really didn't think he'd answer the door.

I don't even watch basketball and i was :lupe: every single shot

hada feeling something would happen after he won, but damn :francis: howard just couldn't catch a break

Able Archer 83

Two Minutes to Midnight
Daps
Reppin
Reminded me of Bad Lieutenant and my favorite movie, To Live and Die In LA.

im trying to think if there any same crime dramas with boxing involved..maybe snake eyes..but not on this level..the pacing in this is good, reminds me of earlier scorsese films.

There's an old boxing movie called The Set Up which is similarly fast-paced (it takes place in a single night) and kind of hits the same notes. YMMV, though.

CapitalOne

Do You Believe...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Dek0Gc7.png

WPEVlMf.png

HKJ7agS.png

UCPTy5u.png

8eBr7V5.png

H1lxHia.png

WVtWfT8.png

BAMZWa2.png

tEOHVxp.png

rO7U2XC.png

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Just got home, I thought this was masterwork in style, tension, following one man's frenzied, and increasingly desperate days, as he loses as quickly as we win, and we never know for sure who is being hustled, and who is not, because everyone is on, all the time. The exhausted Arno, and his relentless, and unsatisfied enforcers, the socialite Julia Fox, playing herself, the slippery Demany, all the characters in his orbit were great, and Sandler lands probably the best performance of his "serious" movie career.

Not without flaws, I thought, as one review said, the writing was a little stale, and I get the 2012 time frame, but it didn't feel quite as sharp, writing wise, as I thought it could, with the of the moment references. The costume design, the music, were all excellent, really selling the street level hustle of New York, as well as the bleary post Weeknd club scene, and Passover's and luxury high rises. The Weeknd cameo felt more like the Sadfie brothers showing love, rather than a needed part of the movie, and his scenes felt way too on the nose and self aggrandizing. And I love the Weeknd.

The ending was perfect, but the audience seemed to dislike it, I thought. The other part of the ending I liked less, but not sure what I would have done differently.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just finished watching this. I never wanted someone dead that supposedly is the protagonist in my LIFE. Props to Sadler, because he pulled off having me despising this muthafukka which I presume was the point. By midway, I was rooting for SOMEONE to off this pig already. This dude had zero morals and is an obsessed bullshytter. It made me not even LIKE the movie despite everyone in it were good.... but it is hard to feel for someone who you just dislike. I mean really an absolute pig that doesn't deserve any glory and deserve all the repercussions that happen in this film.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
I gotta be honest I was disappointed with this film. It dragged at multiple times...lots of scenes that felt completely unnecessary and didn’t build the plot or develop the characters much. The end was what I was waiting for I felt it could have been wrapped up with 45 mins less run time.

Sandler was good at making a dikkhead character Believable. The music was loud and overbearing, felt like it was montage after montage.

not something I’d particularly choose to watch again.

cinematography was FANTASTIC, beautiful scenes. Excellent frantic framing that sets up that crowded Manhattan vibe.

the editing is the true flaw of the film. I thought it could have been edited much cleaner and with more clarity and direction. Multiple times I’d be watching a scene and I’d be completely disengaged bc if the way it was edited and the scenes were too long for no apparent reason.

7.5/10. Solid movie, I just expected better and thought that an hour 45 mins should have been a hard cap. I didn’t need all that try hard artsy scenes and long takes that disengage the viewer from a solid plot.

the degenerate gambler scenes were solid and well portrayed but it got to the point where I was like “ok are we really about to watch this nikka watch and entire Celtics game?”