Uncut Gems | Discussion Thread

YaThreadTrashB!

Superstar
Daps
I gotta be honest I was disappointed with this film. It dragged at multiple times...lots of scenes that felt completely unnecessary and didn’t build the plot or develop the characters much. The end was what I was waiting for I felt it could have been wrapped up with 45 mins less run time.

Sandler was good at making a dikkhead character Believable. The music was loud and overbearing, felt like it was montage after montage.

not something I’d particularly choose to watch again.

cinematography was FANTASTIC, beautiful scenes. Excellent frantic framing that sets up that crowded Manhattan vibe.

the editing is the true flaw of the film. I thought it could have been edited much cleaner and with more clarity and direction. Multiple times I’d be watching a scene and I’d be completely disengaged bc if the way it was edited and the scenes were too long for no apparent reason.

7.5/10. Solid movie, I just expected better and thought that an hour 45 mins should have been a hard cap. I didn’t need all that try hard artsy scenes and long takes that disengage the viewer from a solid plot.

the degenerate gambler scenes were solid and well portrayed but it got to the point where I was like “ok are we really about to watch this nikka watch and entire Celtics game?”
You mean you didn't like the scene where it went from the opal to his rectum

:mjlol:

QU Hectic

Superstar
Daps
@ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTULA, as you are one of the true film buffs here, just wanted your opinion on something. Who do you think the Safdie Brothers should work with next ? They make unforgettable characters, who should be next. I'm thinking an African American lead, one that no one could imagine doing such a role. Maybe Murphy ?:yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Good movie. Not over the moon about it because its a world thats so far removed from me, but it's a hell of a portrait of a degenerate gambler in that world and constantly chasing that high. One W is never enough. The Safdie's are great at capturing these moments in the lives of scumbags and getting you to go along for the ride but not be emotionally sucked into it. They never fully empathize or put you on the side of the scumbag, just want you to observe. And maybe that's why it doesn't hit me as great.

Love the ending and all of the performances and yes, Sandler is dope as hell but he's always dope when you give him the right material that asks him to do more than his usual. It's not the best male performance of the year for me though but still dope nonetheless.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
@ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTULA, as you are one of the true film buffs here, just wanted your opinion on something. Who do you think the Safdie Brothers should work with next ? They make unforgettable characters, who should be next. I'm thinking an African American lead, one that no one could imagine doing such a role. Maybe Murphy ?:yeshrug:
Looking at their IMDb they don't have anything in the pipeline/announced. I really wonder what they do next.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I thought the "journey" introductory shots were a little dated too, and on the nose, but I didn't really mind them. That's just the Sadfie brothers showing off a little. Michael Mann did a similar one in Blackhat 5 years ago, and it was bad then too. You can certainly find flaws in some of the scenes, that drag and deflate the movie a little bit, I thought elements of the Fox/Sandler relationship were perhaps realistic, but needed more of an edge, I would have preferred to see her turn, or a more darker layer to the relationship. It was certainly unhealthy and dysfunctional, but they seemed to be saying they really cared about each other, which maybe I just didn't buy or like. The closet scene is an example, I was sure she was bringing another guy home, but the scene just went nowhere to me. Like the tracking shots, it didn't bother me.

The weakest moments were in 1 Oak, I felt there was some opportunities to show the edgier side of that life, but the movie kind of just went for a light take.

Listening to the SDTK now, and it's really dope.

-Loved the characters wardrobe, flashy and gaudy, Ferragamo loafers, but worn with these baggy jeans/pants, and no real sense of style, and the glasses, plus matching belt, that was "all the rage" in 2012

-The movie worked best during the scenes at the daughter's play, it was funny, and tense, and showed how out of control his life was spiraling

-The use of the old IPhone alerts to show the frenetic nature of that life, and the constant calls and texts, the omnipresent buzz

-I know guys like Howard Rattner, and I am so thankful to be someone who is calm, and honest, composed, disciplined, not just propped up by enablers and credit. There are guys who just live and work like that, it's all schemes and favors, and scams all the time, everything is a constant fight or a constant 10 phone call ordeal, I thought they captured that brilliantly. And the added twist that you never know if Ratner is just bluffing, or conning someone.

I legit had the idea that the Opal was all a con, and it was worthless, and he intentionally gave it to KG because he needed that line of credit, but he was really just out of control and impulsive.

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I thought the "journey" introductory shots were a little dated too, and on the nose, but I didn't really mind them. Michael Mann did a similar one in Blackhat 5 years ago, and it was bad then too. You can certainly find flaws in some of the scenes, that drag and deflate the movie a little bit, I thought elements of the Fox/Sandler relationship were perhaps realistic, but needed more of an edge, I would have preferred to see her turn, or a more darker layer to the relationship. It was certainly unhealthy and dysfunctional, but they seemed to be saying they really cared about each other, which maybe I just didn't buy or like. The closet scene is an example, I was sure she was bringing another guy home, but the scene just went nowhere to me. Like the tracking shots, it didn't bother me.

The weakest moments were in 1 Oak, I felt there was some opportunities to show the edgier side of that life, but the movie kind of just went for a light take.

Listening to the SDTK now, and it's really dope.
The point of the closet scene was to show she really did like Howard and wasn't faking it.

QU Hectic

Superstar
Daps
Looking at their IMDb they don't have anything in the pipeline/announced. I really wonder what they do next.

Apologies that I didn't tag you as well cause your a thorough movie buff as well. But who would you like to see as the lead in their next project. We had Rob Patterson and Sandler give great, memorable performances, who should get next ? As stated I want an AA lead (Yes , AA on EA or any other). I want to see Murphy in a Safdie Bros. film

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Apologies that I didn't tag you as well cause your a thorough movie buff as well. But who would you like to see as the lead in their next project. We had Rob Patterson and Sandler give great, memorable performances, who should get next ? As stated I want an AA lead (Yes , AA on EA or any other). I want to see Murphy in a Safdie Bros. film
Hmmm. . . not sure. Eddie Murphy is a native NYer and their movies are very NYC so it works on that level. But a movie about what? I can't call it. My preference would be a subject not specific to Black people since the Safdie Bros. aren't.
Would love to see Andre Holland get shine with a hot director/directing team but again I'm at a loss on what subject/theme for white directors having a Black lead.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Alot stuff through me off guard. First of all, the way he dressed. Ferragamo belt, shoes,Cartier glasses. That stuff we wear in Detroit. 2ndly, the pawg through me totally off. I cant remember in recent memory, a pawg looking like that as a a major character. If someone can, please let me know. Third nigih, niguh, niguh all the time. And last, that big nose delivery guy didnt look real. Like what was that.

Very good movie and that was the right ending. Sandler doesnt deserve an Oscar but if you compare him from all those twrrible movies he does. But no,.Oscar for this. This was a cleaner film then "Good Time". It felt like when a rapper gors commercial. But overall enjoyable.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Alot stuff through me off guard. First of all, the way he dressed. Ferragamo belt, shoes,Cartier glasses. That stuff we wear in Detroit. 2ndly, the pawg through me totally off. I cant remember in recent memory, a pawg looking like that as a a major character. If someone can, please let me know. Third nigih, niguh, niguh all the time. And last, that big nose delivery guy didnt look real. Like what was that.

Very good movie and that was the right ending. Sandler doesnt deserve an Oscar but if you compare him from all those twrrible movies he does. But no,.Oscar for this. This was a cleaner film then "Good Time". It felt like when a rapper gors commercial. But overall enjoyable.
:mjlit:

'Uncut Gems' Breakout Julia Fox Worked as a High School Dominatrix

https://pagesix.com/2019/12/25/uncut-gems-star-julia-fox-worked-as-a-dominatrix-in-high-school/

'Uncut Gems' star Julia Fox reveals she worked as a dominatrix in high school