☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I thought the "journey" introductory shots were a little dated too, and on the nose, but I didn't really mind them. That's just the Sadfie brothers showing off a little. Michael Mann did a similar one in Blackhat 5 years ago, and it was bad then too. You can certainly find flaws in some of the scenes, that drag and deflate the movie a little bit, I thought elements of the Fox/Sandler relationship were perhaps realistic, but needed more of an edge, I would have preferred to see her turn, or a more darker layer to the relationship. It was certainly unhealthy and dysfunctional, but they seemed to be saying they really cared about each other, which maybe I just didn't buy or like. The closet scene is an example, I was sure she was bringing another guy home, but the scene just went nowhere to me. Like the tracking shots, it didn't bother me.

The weakest moments were in 1 Oak, I felt there was some opportunities to show the edgier side of that life, but the movie kind of just went for a light take.

Listening to the SDTK now, and it's really dope.

-Loved the characters wardrobe, flashy and gaudy, Ferragamo loafers, but worn with these baggy jeans/pants, and no real sense of style, and the glasses, plus matching belt, that was "all the rage" in 2012

-The movie worked best during the scenes at the daughter's play, it was funny, and tense, and showed how out of control his life was spiraling

-The use of the old IPhone alerts to show the frenetic nature of that life, and the constant calls and texts, the omnipresent buzz

-I know guys like Howard Rattner, and I am so thankful to be someone who is calm, and honest, composed, disciplined, not just propped up by enablers and credit. There are guys who just live and work like that, it's all schemes and favors, and scams all the time, everything is a constant fight or a constant 10 phone call ordeal, I thought they captured that brilliantly. And the added twist that you never know if Ratner is just bluffing, or conning someone.

I legit had the idea that the Opal was all a con, and it was worthless, and he intentionally gave it to KG because he needed that line of credit, but he was really just out of control and impulsive.
I appreciated how utterly chaotic the dialogue was...it made you feel the urgency

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Can we talk about how Kevin Garnett bodied this? :wow:
giphy.webp

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
Dope movie.
Very Scorese-ish in tone, pacing, and suspense. Not surprised to see him as EP.
Yall gonna make me go back and watch these dudes other movie.
These dude could have something
Everyone was good but Sandler should be nominated.
Lakeith was good but I felt his character could have been developed a little more.
And of course, the side piece.
At first I thought yall was hyping up another plain ass Wonder Bread white bytch like usual.
Well, she a cac, but she can get it.
I'm glad they didnt get J-Law because she kinda already played this role before.
But I digress, she got a hot body, minus the obviously fake ass.

And BTW, KG already bust that out:

Meet Julia Fox, the Diamond in the Rough From 'Uncut Gems'

MALLETT: What was Kevin Garnett like?

FOX: We had a few scenes together in the diamond shop and then we actually spent a lot of time together off set. We became friends. We spent every moment when we weren’t working chilling. He’s hilarious in real life.

giphy.gif

If she dont let her head get blown up, and learn to keep her mouth shut, she could have a future.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This might be me favorite of the year behind Marriage Story. First half of this movie was super immersive and you felt like a fly on the wall observing how a degenerate BSer lives then the second half when the tension racks up and you wonder how he’s gonna get out of the situation he put himself in I was :merchant: the whole time.

Ending was shocking but justified. There’s only so much bullshyt you can put yourself through before it all catches up to you.

Sandler was great but all the performances were on point. And yeah, between this and Good Time I think the Safdie brothers are establishing themselves as the best modern NYC filmmakers. It’s cool that Scorsese EP’d this as it’s a bit of a passing of the torch.

also

That John Amos scene is the most random but funniest cameo I’ve seen in awhile

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also this movie made me feel old af. I can’t believe I’d be watching a movie set in 2012 and have me feeling an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. Linsanity discussions, those old iPhones, The Weeknd buzzing off those 3 mixtapes, replaying Some Type of Way constantly, I’ve never seen a film capture an era that was less than 10 years ago but the Safdie’s did it