Ubisoft Believes Next Gen Is the Last for Consoles as Microsoft Looks Beyond Platforms

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
If a console generation is still considered 8-10 years by the industry, we have another 5 years to go on the PS4/XB1. Next gen will start being worked on in 2020, and dropped by 2023. By 2030 internet should be robust enough globally to move from console gaming to an on demand streaming type of thing.

The real question is, will people have the money available to migrate over? Income inequality is real and will only be exacerbated in the coming years. Gaming will eventually take the L that every other medium of entertainment has. $15-20 subscriptions for all.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
If a console generation is still considered 8-10 years by the industry, we have another 5 years to go on the PS4/XB1. Next gen will start being worked on in 2020, and dropped by 2023. By 2030 internet should be robust enough globally to move from console gaming to an on demand streaming type of thing.

The real question is, will people have the money available to migrate over? Income inequality is real and will only be exacerbated in the coming years. Gaming will eventually take the L that every other medium of entertainment has. $15-20 subscriptions for all.
What do you mean by still considered 8-10 years? :dwillhuh:

Breh console generations have never been considered that long.

The average length of a generation is about 6 years. Here's a breakdown of how long each console was on market before the next one launched

PS1 6 years
PS2 6 years
PS3 7 years

Xbox 5 years
Xbox 360 8 years

NES 6 years
SNES 6 years
N64 5 years
GameCube 5 years
Wii 6 years
Wii U 5 years

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Man I came back from the dead literally and Sony still whipping their asses....:mjlol:

HAVEN'T MSOFT FIGURED IT OUT YET?!?! :mindblown: The reason they are STILL loosing is because they are not Reinvesting in single player games.
2. they trying to offset everything on PC but what what's the point of the owning and xbox one AND having a PC...

Sony is lineing themselves up for world domination and not even breaking a sweat...:mindblown: MSFT STILL hasn't figured it out...

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Music went streaming
TV went streaming
Why can’t games? It seems logical. Why are brehs so anti this? :jbhmm:
Because the way we consume games is and always has been different from how we consume video and music content. (I discussed this in my thread about sub based content). Video content in any format has always been delivered with advertising. That advertising is the vehicle that allows for streaming today. Music has also always been delivered FIRST with advertisement. Before the content hit the public, you could only hear it on a platform that used advertisement as the means to deliver the content to the consumer. That same vehicle to deliver music content is what makes music streaming possible today. Gaming has always been an unadulterated straight through experience that the consumer consumed on their own terms. Streaming games isn’t just about shifting the delivery method of the content, it completely changes the unique consumer experience music and video content doesn’t offer. The world is going to be subscription based and I’m sure companies would rather it be streaming based as well, but for now I don’t think the game market is anywhere near ready for streaming only platforms for gaming. Subscription based just is what it is. It’s sort of like how some video streaming services have the “view offline” option. That same small crowd that cares about that, i would say makes up the majority of the gaming market. One of the biggest mistake a company can make is assume that all markets are the same, or that all consumers behave the same.

Last edited:

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
not any time soon, but it's coming. there's a lot to consider. sony showed their hand on this early as hell with the psp go and retail had a fit. also going direct to consumers with content like that takes away choices, it's corporate as shyt. there was only 1 way to get games on that thing. it's going to take engineering it around retail and engineering the public to want it...and that's not happening for a loooooong time

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Lol fukkers are stupid as hell. Microsoft will fall further behind. There's no need to assimilate the markets this way. People have options and still choose to be console gamers. Anyways, I don't see this happening.

They out they damn mind. There's a million reasons why this won't happen. And we not gone even talk about the worlds internet services being sub par for this.

A paradigm shift would be nice but there's always going to be hardware required to run the shyt on so I'm not sure.

They're talking under the assumption that internet providers will ease up on their stranglehold on the market right?

Streaming is garbage, and I have the fastest internet available in my area.
:mjlol:

And people still cant even calibrate their TVs on their own, I dont see $1000 custom built gaming PCs taking the place of consoles anytime soon.
:mjlol:

I think you guys are wrong. this is the future like it or not. Here are the reasons why:

• Companies won't want to invest in the hardware costs. Hardware that is continually being made obselete btw
  • 5G networks will make the speeds and latency very minimal. 5G provides the infrastructure to make this happen.
  • Edge compute moves processing requirements away from the end machine and into the edge of the cloud. I work in this industry and on this technology every day. A lot of companies are looking at applications for this technology and gaming is one of the top ones.

So yeah brehs, this shyt is happening whether yall like it or not.

The key question is who is going to pay for the infrastructure of 5G+edge compute. The telecoms will invest in it, but they're gonna want to charge the OTT services who take advantage of it. This is why net neutrality is such a big deal.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
have fun handing down digital collections to next gens. everything being all digital effectively mean we don't own anything. As soon as you stop being your subs you cut off.

Bruh you gotta wake up if you don't see that ownership is already being a thing of the past. The car industry is taking a hit right now due to the success of Uber. Young folks don't even see the point of owning a car.

The notion of handing down stuff is overrated too. Minimalism. :blessed:

moniemane

Pro
Supporter
Daps
the switch is steaming games ba
dly right now its some time before we get to that point but its coming

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
What do you mean by still considered 8-10 years? :dwillhuh:

Breh console generations have never been considered that long.

The average length of a generation is about 6 years. Here's a breakdown of how long each console was on market before the next one launched

PS1 6 years
PS2 6 years
PS3 7 years

Xbox 5 years
Xbox 360 8 years

NES 6 years
SNES 6 years
N64 5 years
GameCube 5 years
Wii 6 years
Wii U 5 years

I was also including the time it takes to develop a system and the 1-2 years after a new system debuts where games are being released for both systems as well. Going by the wiki page, the OG Playstation was in theoretical development in 1986, and Sony/Nintendo had a working deal for a joint system in 1991. PS came out in 94 and was the system until 2000, but everyone didn't instantly jump to PS2 the day it came out. That's roughly 8-10 years of the OG Playstation being *the* system for Sony, and I thought that was the standard.

Basically I'm accepting the fudged numbers that the console makers would give us, because it does take a while to develop dev kits and whatnot for a new platform, and everyone doesn't abandon a console the day the newest one comes out. On the consumer end, I would agree with your numbers. Consumers slow down buying games on old gen within the year of the new gen coming out, but it's still not a full migration. Think about the people who have kids in a household who owned a PS3 and told their kids they aren't getting the PS4 for Christmas in 2013 because "its too expensive and your playstation already works".