Uber and Lyft got these Taxi Drivers Bodying themselves

morris

Superstar
Daps
I really don't see how they have an adapted in all this time. They used to rule Midtown to downtown.

Refused to go uptown.

Charged like a bytch for airports until the flat rate was and implemented.

I hope the gouging Lincoln car cabbies feel the squeeze too. They abused the fact they used to be the only play in town where cabbies would not go.

Vilify

Superstar
Daps
During my last trip to New York back in 2016 I noticed cabs were cheaper than Uber. Compared to Atlanta Uber is slow and expensive in New York. I don't want to see either industry collapse. Let them both compete and the consumer wins.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I hate cabs with a passion but this isn't the way to go. I don't know why people see this shyt happening and don't think their industry will ever be affected. If your shyt can't be automated companies will just find a way to have someone do it cheaper. This is really the time to be pushing back against the shyt but it's just "too convenient." Once they overwhelm the blue collar/low level white collar fields the blue print will be set for the higher paying fields. Soon companies are going to be high level executives/managers and a revolving army of low paid independent freelancers.
I agree that the gig economy screws people over even more, but it's still a better solution than the goofy medallion system. The end of that was inevitable as it never made sense... they have non medallion cabs already and it's not like things could never change.

baker928

Pro
Daps
Prices, perhaps, ignoring of minorities......let's be real, your average Uber user isn't thinking about "One less cab passing up a black guy :jawalrus:" as some poor schlub makes about $2 off that trip hauling them around. I've never used Uber so I wonder what the rate comparisons look like compared to what I'm used to via a cab. Cab dispatching was also an issue as no one had to come get you. There are so many Ubers out there someone will come get you. I definitely see the benefits but there's no winner here except the consumer (for now) and the company. Taxi driver's are in debt and Uber has been reduced to one hustle of many. If Uber usurped taxi dominance and saw to it that it was a sustainable career option for it's drivers I would be behind it. Instead it has begun pushing this low wage gig culture and I just don't see that as good for society in the long run.

It should always be about the consumer, the main reason cabbies are losing is cause they charge more. Uber is cheaper and for services that are essentially the same, people are going to go with the cheaper option.

Psychosis

NYC
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think ppl missing the main point. Cabbie bought the medallion for 700k, he planned to sell it to the next person for profit, they even went up to a millie at one time.. Instead the value plummeted drastically.

Same thing happens to nyc hot dog vendors.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
IMO, NYC, and maybe a couple other cities, is the one city where they should better regulate ridesharing - at least in the more trafficked areas. Cabs are easy to come by and cheap, not like other places where you might have to call a cab ahead of time and pay an arm and a leg. No need to wait for uber/Lyft in 90% of manhattan, 50% of Brooklyn and queens.

That said, them (and philly and Boston) cab drivers liked to be :mjpls: about picking up black passengers, bet they'd stop for a black person now :sas1:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I feel your argument and have said as much when it comes to automation and so on, but I don't think this logic can be applied here. If cab companies had kept their prices reasonable/competitive and didn't have a history of purposely ignoring minorities, rideshare services likely wouldn't have the foothold they do now.

Uber/Lyft didn't come along and undercut totally reasonable cab companies out of nowhere;, they were instituted and came through with competitive pricing and liberal policies that provided a service with (reasonable) prices.Simple as that....
Reasonably priced is relative, cabs in ny, bos, philly, Chicago weren't expensive, they have a big industry. Of course in Cali and other states where most people own cars they cost more, but when you have fewer cabs and a much smaller ridership, why/how would their fares makes sense being the same as a place like NYC where they had 85-90% utilization rates?