Uber and Lyft got these Taxi Drivers Bodying themselves

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Oh well, idgaf. Cab companies are racist, overcharging institutions that needed to die a long time ago.

I was born and raised in LA, fukk it, not just LA but within 1-3 miles of LAX. Before Uber, getting home from the airport (outside of a ride from a friend/parent) would cost me upwards of $45 and often more than that (early 20s me paid a good $65 to get from LAX to Inglewood back in 2012 or so). Why tf should a 2 mile trip cost anyone that much money???

And I remember being in Vegas with friends at like 18 or 19 and having to walk from basically McCarren to DTLV (a 90min - 2hr walk mind you) because even between the 4 of us, we still couldn't afford (or tolerate) the exorbitant cab fare we were quoted for the 7 mile trip. Meanwhile I was in Vegas a few months ago and with Uber, getting from the top end of The Strip to DT cost maybe $8.

Cab companies and drivers had their run of price gouging, ignoring black and brown potential customers and fixing rates because they were the only game in town for SEVERAL decades. I';m really not sorry or sad about the fact that Uber is taking them down.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
I hate cabs with a passion but this isn't the way to go. I don't know why people see this shyt happening and don't think their industry will ever be affected. If your shyt can't be automated companies will just find a way to have someone do it cheaper. This is really the time to be pushing back against the shyt but it's just "too convenient." Once they overwhelm the blue collar/low level white collar fields the blue print will be set for the higher paying fields. Soon companies are going to be high level executives/managers and a revolving army of low paid independent freelancers.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why can't cab drivers hop on the uber or lyft wave?? Unless they don't own a car, I can see why..
They already bought into the Medallion. Uber and other rideshare apps fell off in terms of payout after roping folks in with attractive payrates.
If you already went balls-deep to get into the cab game, switching to Uber would be financial suicide worse than switching industries altogether.

Its all fun and games till folks realize ride-share is killing another "career" in exchange for gig-level wages.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I hate cabs with a passion but this isn't the way to go. I don't know why people see this shyt happening and don't think their industry will ever be affected. If your shyt can't be automated companies will just find a way to have someone do it cheaper. This is really the time to be pushing back against the shyt but it's just "too convenient." Once they overwhelm the blue collar/low level white collar fields the blue print will be set for the higher paying fields. Soon companies are going to be high level executives/managers and a revolving army of low paid independent freelancers.
Facts, man. I just got in the IT game myself and I see right off the bat a ton of things that could be changed to eliminate my job immediately. Folks laugh and talk shyt, but whatever we doing for a career now, we could be hustling trying to do 2-3 freelance jobs a week in 5 years when the right application or robot
gets invented. I don't wanna say the sky is falling, but fukk, its getting real out here. No matter your job, someone is testing something to do better than you. If not better, they will pay you LESS in order to make sure it doesn't fukk up. Or worse, your job going to India.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Facts, man. I just got in the IT game myself and I see right off the bat a ton of things that could be changed to eliminate my job immediately. Folks laugh and talk shyt, but whatever we doing for a career now, we could be hustling trying to do 2-3 freelance jobs a week in 5 years when the right application or robot
gets invented. I don't wanna say the sky is falling, but fukk, its getting real out here. No matter your job, someone is testing something to do better than you. If not better, they will pay you LESS in order to make sure it doesn't fukk up. Or worse, your job going to India.

There's shyt these companies are developing that would have people fearing for their futures. But as long as it's the "help" getting hit first......

In 30 years the US is going to be a dystopian anime with three classes; the elite, the police/military, and everyone else on the bottom.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
There's shyt these companies are developing that would have people fearing for their futures. But as long as it's the "help" getting hit first......

In 30 years the US is going to be a dystopian anime with three classes; the elite, the police/military, and everyone else on the bottom.

that's what it's been the majority of human history

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
$700,000 for the right to operate one cab

:picard:

A loan for $700k how? :mindblown: To drive a cab?
Here from China??

What am I missing here?
From the article

'especially if drivers could get their hands on a coveted medallion (essentially a permit to operate their own cabs, rather than leasing cars from others)'

Operate their own cabs, I'm assuming, is in plural because besides driving your own cab, you would be allowed to hire other people to drive cabs and run it as a business and move up from cab driver to boss?

I'm assuming this is what it means.. or else I REALLY can't see it being 700 large