UAB Blazers shut their football program down:wow:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Y'all think this is over recruits and uab becoming a power like some people are saying? Or is it fear from the BoT of bhAm becoming more powerful than Tuscaloosa (which I thought It was already). What's the fear from the BoT? That's what I want to know.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Could it just be that the UA BOT controlling UAB football is just a conflict of interest. The better and more attractive UAB becomes it hurts UA.

Yes, There is no such thing as a UAB fan. You either alabama or Auburn.

No one is going to go to UAB game over watching UA/AU on TV
That's it. If kids from suburban Birmingham have a good football program at home, they stay home and they don't go to Tuscaloosa.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/12/birmingham_needs_uab_not_ua_tr.html
Birmingham needs UAB, not UA trustees' plantation mentality: opinion
Several years ago, I was driving with some friends to Chicago when we ran low on gas. We pulled off the interstate to find a filling station in Gary, Indiana, a place so desolate and dead that one of my travelling companions called it suburban Moscow after the apocalypse.

Indeed, the public buildings there bared some traces of Stalinist design, or maybe that's just what Art Deco looks like when it decays. It was a poisoned place where nothing seemed to grow but for weedy lots and sprigs of grass pushing through the cracks in the sidewalks. I don't consider myself easily intimidated by rough neighborhoods in post-industrial cities, but that place seemed broken and hopeless in a way that gave me chills.

What the hell had happened there?

Then I looked out the car window. There, a large ghostly industrial building loomed. Written on its side in enormous block letters was the answer to my question.

It read, "U.S. Steel."

This hell hole wasn't just another nasty notch in America's rust belt - it was an alternate universe that we had somehow slipped into. Gary had been another outpost of the steel barons, exploited and then left to rot. In holiday movie terms, this was our Pottersville - what Birmingham could have become had things happened a little bit differently. I wanted to rush home and run through the Magic City's streets like a madly joyous George Bailey.

Merry Christmas, Vulcan!

Merry Christmas, Alabama Theatre!

Merry Christmas, mildly satanic Five Point South fountain devil statue!

Just as we pulled back onto the interstate and moments before we put that nightmare town behind us, one of our crew blurted it out loud: "This is what Birmingham would have been without UAB."

A backbone with no spine

When the steel industry in Birmingham withered, the city's economy clung to two things - the banks and UAB. Then, all but one of the city's major banks were swallowed by bigger competitors out of state or overseas. And there was also that unpleasantness at HealthSouth. The city went from having four Fortune 500 companies down to one.

But through it all, there was old reliable UAB. Depending on how you count the jobs, UAB is the largest employer in the state. Along with the good paying jobs it brings, UAB acts as a point of entry for many highly skilled professionals and a training ground for local students looking to improve their stakes in life.

From now on, let's just call him "Cub." (The Birmingham News/Joe Songer)
It is the economic backbone of Birmingham.

Only there are two things wrong with that last sentence. First, it implies that UAB is somehow interconnected with Birmingham, and second, by calling it a backbone, readers might infer that the leadership there has something resembling a spine.

Not that UAB has been without strong administrators. Just two university presidents ago, it had Ann Reynolds, who sued the University of Alabama Board of Trustees for sexism after she was forced to resign in 2002. The UA system settled her lawsuit for $475,000 and a confidentiality agreement to shut her up.

The board replaced her with Carol Garrison. In Birmingham, Garrison was a visible and active leader in the community. But she, too, strayed a little too far from her masters in Tuscaloosa. In 2012, she was marched to the same guillotine, but when the blade fell on her neck, the basket was padded with a better severance package.

The board replaced her with Ray Watts who, as far as anyone can tell, is currently leading the university from an undisclosed bunker beneath one of the school's myriad red brick buildings. Where Garrison was a public figure in Birmingham, I'd challenge any member of the Rotary Club to pick Watts out of a lineup. Even students protesting in the streets and calling him "coward" haven't baited an answer from him. Watts has gone into hiding.

More than football

The message from Tuscaloosa has been clear: We own this plantation. Don't believe for a second that UAB has autonomy. It's called the University of Alabama at Birmingham for a reason. It's an appendage, and the UA trustees call the shots.

That relationship with Tuscaloosa hasn't been clearer than in recent weeks, when it became apparent that the board was finally set to kill UAB's football program.

But let there be no misunderstanding. This is about more than football.

This is about grudges held by powerful people, one in particular. Let's just call him "Cub."

This is about whether the state's largest city will have a meaningful, healthy relationship with the state's largest employer. Already, Mayor William Bell has written a letter to Watts asking why much smaller schools in smaller cities can manage to keep their football programs alive, but not UAB. The fact that the mayor had to make that letter public tells you all you need to know about how receptive the UA system has been to his input or input from other city political and business leaders.

Birmingham has seen that attitude before. Just scratch out the letters UAB and replace them with USS.

Birmingham needs UAB, but it doesn't need another absentee landlord.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Peter Vecsey That tweet about the BOT blocking Jimbo Fisher from coaching at UAB. I wonder if that has anything to do with Jameis choice to play at FSU since he is from Birmingham?

:ehh:

I think the main reason is that Jimbo was not going to give him any grief about playing Baseball as well as Football, and 2nd, the FSU recruiter was an Alabama native and was a former black QB at Auburn. They got pretty close and he was the main catalyst for him going to FSU

Last edited:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the med school regressed since the new pres got here. parking is a legitimate problem here. they tried to close honor programs (history department might go next) and a lot of teachers think certain undergrad programs will have to move to UA since UAB is a "branch" of UA (classes i took 2 years ago dont count cause they overhauled the physical education program this past summer) . its not about money or UAB,the biggest employer in the state, struggling financially. UA board kept them from hiring jimbo fisher in 06 and building a new stadium. (nobody wants to spectate in broken down legion field + its in the middle of where white people are scared to go. ) the UA board is like the repub party. say no to everything.i dont think UA ever wanted uab to be shyt athletically cause they tried that with the bball team too. if montgomery and mobile can have d1 football schools so can birmingham if u ask me :yeshrug: they let go the rifling team and bowling at the same time too for additional collateral damage :pachaha:

:ohhh:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
I went to UAB and graduated from there. It was always understood that UAB football wasn't shyt and would never be shyt, as long as it was apart of UA.

True, ALOT of kids go to UAB are auburn or UA fans, but (partly) that's because there was no legit reason to root for UAB because you knew it would never lead to anything. No one is going to the west side in shytty as legion field to watch a shytty team.

Bham and Alabama as a whole is just about as non progressive (also corrupt) as you can get and doesn't really like change. Hence NO Lottery and NO entertainment district/dome. Even though those things have been debated since I've been born.

Part of the reason I was quick to move to GA when a job offer came :ahh:

-DMP-

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
*updates avatar*

NO MATTER THE DISTANCE!

NO MATTER THE DISTANCE!!! :damn:

you must be a soulless cyborg if you don't have any empathy for my UAB breh :to:

I understand the details and impact to the community of losing their football team..But for a grown man to look in a smug racist cacs face sobbing like a woman talking about "what am I gonna tell my son?!?" is so demoralizing to me..

I don't have patience for this type of behavior in 2014...There is a war going on outside..(not the one in Iraq either)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol:

Black men we have to do better and have broader dreams...

These negroes are a borderline embarassment to me..

:laff:

YOOO!!!!!

Let that man live.......I'm hoping he just got caught up in the moment.....:lolbron:

But when he was crying about what was he going to tell his son, I had the :childplease: face going....

I'm like bruh, you tell that lil negro that them folks shut it down and keep it moving........

But I'm genuinely pissed myself, so I guess since he's a player on the squad he has some right to be distraught......He just OD'd on the melodrama a lil

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
:laff:

YOOO!!!!!

Let that man live.......I'm hoping he just got caught up in the moment.....:lolbron:

But when he was crying about what was he going to tell his son, I had the :childplease: face going....

I'm like bruh, you tell that lil negro that them folks shut it down and keep it moving........

But I'm genuinely pissed myself, so I guess since he's a player on the squad he has some right to be distraught......He just OD'd on the melodrama a lil
Check your PM breh its kinda important

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Wait doesn't UAB stand for University OF ALABAMA at Birmingham?
Why's it a surprise that the University of Alabama controls what happens there? Don't they own it?