UAB Blazers shut their football program down:wow:

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wouldn't say Bham has been left behind by Charlotte tho, especially in terms of Black people. Bham has a good number of progressive Blacks and Bham is a true chocolate city. Black folks at every level in business and government in Bham.
Black folks in Charlotte are a NON FACTOR. There is no hustle or motivation among us in Charlotte. They truly are marginalized in CLT and pretty much just waiting for massa to give them a hand out.
bham decided not to build the airport years ago, ATL built Hartsfield Jackson and look at them now, a global city that had the olympics. Maybe not in terms of black people but Charlotte has a large amount of big corporations and two pro sports teams. Bham got passed up and paid for it, only now it's trying to make a comeback.

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
bham decided not to build the airport years ago, ATL built Hartsfield Jackson and look at them now, a global city that had the olympics. Maybe not in terms of black people but Charlotte has a large amount of big corporations and two pro sports teams. Bham got passed up and paid for it, only now it's trying to make a comeback.

Meh...Charlotte has corporations because it's a cookie cutter 9-5 town. Outside of the big banks there really isn't a whole lot going for us Black folks the business sector and even then the ceiling for us is still middle management. Like you'd be hard pressed to find a Black person making money who doesn't work for a Wells Fargo, BOA or Red Ventures. And don't take the pro teams to heart. Charlotte is in NC and NC works together at a state level better than Alabam and the Panthers especially are really a South Carolina\North Carolina team more than a Charlotte team. Hornets are Charlotte but they have already left town once and it seems to me that Charlotte puts everything they can into trying to have things that make it look like a big city even if they can't really afford it. The city opens up tourist attraction after tourist attraction and they end having to subsidize it down the road because they dont make any money. The airport sucks and their transit system is a joke and it doesn't make any money either. As someone who is from Atlanta, spent a lot of time in Alabama in Bham, The Gump and Huntsville and who now lives in Charlotte I would say the Black folks in Bham are actually a lot more similar to Black folks in ATL. I was actually surprised at how the Black community in Bham was when I first started going out there. I fukk with Bham, yeah the politics at the state level are backwards but the Black folks in Bham are down for theirs and I have always respected that about them.

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yep.

UA (University of Alabama), UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham), and UAH (University of Alabama at Huntsville) which is a DII school while the previous 2 are DI schools.

The BOT of UA runs all 3 schools....why would you compete with yourself for football recruits?:manny:
So should Cal be shut down for the sake of UCLA? :rudy: the U of C board would never do that.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Just a shame. I had to talk to a couple cats from the area that went to high schools in my current coverage area and now play, well, played, for UAB. Brehs, saying they were :to:and:pacspit:is putting it lightly.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Meh...Charlotte has corporations because it's a cookie cutter 9-5 town. Outside of the big banks there really isn't a whole lot going for us Black folks the business sector and even then the ceiling for us is still middle management. Like you'd be hard pressed to find a Black person making money who doesn't work for a Wells Fargo, BOA or Red Ventures. And don't take the pro teams to heart. Charlotte is in NC and NC works together at a state level better than Alabam and the Panthers especially are really a South Carolina\North Carolina team more than a Charlotte team. Hornets are Charlotte but they have already left town once and it seems to me that Charlotte puts everything they can into trying to have things that make it look like a big city even if they can't really afford it. The city opens up tourist attraction after tourist attraction and they end having to subsidize it down the road because they dont make any money. The airport sucks and their transit system is a joke and it doesn't make any money either. As someone who is from Atlanta, spent a lot of time in Alabama in Bham, The Gump and Huntsville and who now lives in Charlotte I would say the Black folks in Bham are actually a lot more similar to Black folks in ATL. I was actually surprised at how the Black community in Bham was when I first started going out there. I fukk with Bham, yeah the politics at the state level are backwards but the Black folks in Bham are down for theirs and I have always respected that about them.
True but this is the reputation blow for a city trying to get back on it's feet so to speak. Bham probably has a great black community but you have to admit the city is for behind what it should considering all the growth ion the south. Even Louisville hasn't had these issues and it's in the same position. In fact Bham should look at Louisville as an example, for starters split the university from the state level.

Check this out, it's Nashville, but same dynamic
http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/1862/adams-helped-nashville-become-an-it-city

Perhaps I overstate it because I became a Nashvillian as a result of Adams’ move, but I don’t know how different Nashville would be today from Louisville or Birmingham without Adams and the NFL.

The city is booming. There are a lot of reasons. Adams is probably the biggest.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Extended video

sidenote: Upon further viewings of this and the other one....

I noticed a quite a few dudes trying not to laugh (when the No Matter the Distance dude talked)
Which is :mjlol::mjcry: at the same time.

But they gave that old fool the biz at the end.

Last edited:

Chrishaune

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
It's sad because now that the football program will cease to exist, the other sports can no longer exist in the Conference USA. Without football you can't be a part of the conference. That seems to be what Alabama was trying to do all along. Killing football in turn kills basketball, which is much more of a competitor directly against the U of Alabama. This helps them only have to fight against Auburn for the top recruits in Alabama. It's all about keeping the focus on Tuscaloosa for those people. They tried to kill UAH hockey years ago, and it's not what it was anymore.

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Report: Bowl-Eligible UAB Won't Receive A Bid

This is small beans in the grand scheme of things, but it still hurts. When UAB announced it would shutter its football team at the end of the season, the 6-6 Blazers still had hopes that the season—the program—could go out with one more game. Time to give up on hope, according to this ESPN report.

It's largely a problem of math. Conference USA rules send five teams to affiliated bowls, and there are exactly five teams with better records than UAB. So they'd need an at-large bid, but there will be anywhere from 79 to 81 bowl-eligible teams seeking 76 berths. Someone's going to be left out, and according to Brett McMurphy's source, it's the Blazers and their baggage.

"No one will touch them with what's going on with the program since other options exist," the source said.

Well, that's cold. But the bowl system seems to have a thing about excluding the teams to whom a bid would mean the most.

It's just more insult to injury for the Blazers. This week has seen tears and anger, but it seems UAB won't see any more football.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Report: Bowl-Eligible UAB Won't Receive A Bid

This is small beans in the grand scheme of things, but it still hurts. When UAB announced it would shutter its football team at the end of the season, the 6-6 Blazers still had hopes that the season—the program—could go out with one more game. Time to give up on hope, according to this ESPN report.

It's largely a problem of math. Conference USA rules send five teams to affiliated bowls, and there are exactly five teams with better records than UAB. So they'd need an at-large bid, but there will be anywhere from 79 to 81 bowl-eligible teams seeking 76 berths. Someone's going to be left out, and according to Brett McMurphy's source, it's the Blazers and their baggage.

"No one will touch them with what's going on with the program since other options exist," the source said.

Well, that's cold. But the bowl system seems to have a thing about excluding the teams to whom a bid would mean the most.

It's just more insult to injury for the Blazers. This week has seen tears and anger, but it seems UAB won't see any more football.

:wow: