UAB Blazers shut their football program down:wow:

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
is the neighborhood around Legion Field that bad though Bham folks?

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Wait doesn't UAB stand for University OF ALABAMA at Birmingham?
Why's it a surprise that the University of Alabama controls what happens there? Don't they own it?

Yes. Which is pretty sad, because I think UAB could be GATech ish football wise.

is the neighborhood around Legion Field that bad though Bham folks?

Bruh the ONLY thing good in that area is Birmingham Southern College.

There is a small pocket of decent houses over there when you first get off the interstate leading to it, but legion field is largely surrounded by lower income housing.

And the stadium itself is in bad shape. UAB would've really thrived with a stadium toward the southside of town (the hipster/club distrisct).

The campus is too nice too only have a minor league base ball team stadium a few blocks away but no football stadium.

Every year they have new construction, taking away parking, and adding new extravagant buildings. Not even including the stuff they are adding to the hospital connected to it.

-DMP-

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Why's it a surprise that the University of Alabama controls what happens there? Don't they own it?

Yep.

UA (University of Alabama), UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham), and UAH (University of Alabama at Huntsville) which is a DII school while the previous 2 are DI schools.

The BOT of UA runs all 3 schools....why would you compete with yourself for football recruits?:manny:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Outside the Lines done anything yet on this?
They're in bed with 'Bama and the SEC.. they won't throw any shade at that school. This story should be the lead off story on Sportscenter but I didn't even see a report on it 20 minutes in, then I switched the channel to something else

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
A person or body of people who don't care about people.

Something being cut or completely shut to "benefit" something else.

You don't see it?
I mean there's so many dualities between this and 'what's going on' in the United States.
Any educated discussion of race will have several common threads because of the sad place race relations are in the US

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep.

UA (University of Alabama), UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham), and UAH (University of Alabama at Huntsville) which is a DII school while the previous 2 are DI schools.

The BOT of UA runs all 3 schools....why would you compete with yourself for football recruits?:manny:
So they should split off then. In the northern states, the colleges work together.

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the med school regressed since the new pres got here. parking is a legitimate problem here. they tried to close honor programs (history department might go next) and a lot of teachers think certain undergrad programs will have to move to UA since UAB is a "branch" of UA (classes i took 2 years ago dont count cause they overhauled the physical education program this past summer) . its not about money or UAB,the biggest employer in the state, struggling financially. UA board kept them from hiring jimbo fisher in 06 and building a new stadium. (nobody wants to spectate in broken down legion field + its in the middle of where white people are scared to go. ) the UA board is like the repub party. say no to everything.i dont think UA ever wanted uab to be shyt athletically cause they tried that with the bball team too. if montgomery and mobile can have d1 football schools so can birmingham if u ask me :yeshrug: they let go the rifling team and bowling at the same time too for additional collateral damage :pachaha:

:mjcry: "Man you can't kill the bowling team, we were getting spares and strikes--- no gutterballs--- no matter the distance between the pins."

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Birmingham has been left behind by Atlanta and Charlotte, seems like this would continue. UAT wants no parts of a sucessful black program, they want to run the negros into the ground crimson tide style

I wouldn't say Bham has been left behind by Charlotte tho, especially in terms of Black people. Bham has a good number of progressive Blacks and Bham is a true chocolate city. Black folks at every level in business and government in Bham.
Black folks in Charlotte are a NON FACTOR. There is no hustle or motivation among us in Charlotte. They truly are marginalized in CLT and pretty much just waiting for massa to give them a hand out.