Tyler Perry Makes History Again

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Because someone wants something doesnt mean that product isnt TERRIBLE. Adam Sandler movies continue to make money and he hasnt put out a decent one in a long time. More people watched shytty reality shows than The Wire, does that mean those reality shows were better than The Wire?

I'm not a fan of most of TP movies but the whole bashing him constantly theme on this board just got old as fukk. Same nikkas coming in every TP thread saying shyt like "I'd die before I gave him a dollar of my money" "He's worst for our community then crack cocaine" and blah blah blah. Dude has a lane and if you don't like it, then move on and don't support him. The people he caters too sure do love it so he does it for them. My mother and aunts likes most of dudes movies and think they are funny. You won't find me going on rants to them on why I don't like TP and how he is a disgrace. And by the way, my mother and aunts are all happily married to thier first husbands, so I guess TP hasn't brain washed them yet.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
:what:

Mario Chalmers has physical limitations that doesn't allow him to be as good as CP3 and Rondo.Ain't shyt physically or monetarily holding Perry back from making better movies.He chooses to continue pumping out C level movies because he knows his fan base will eat it up.He doesn't want to take an artistic risk.That's what I have a problem with.

Why should he switch his style up if his fan base loves it? That like when a rapper tries to broaden their audience and starts making pop bullshyt and they fall off. If TP and his fans are all happy with the product, why are nikkas like you constantly bytching about it? Some nikkas on here stan Wu Tang but I happen to not like them nikkas music. However you won't find me in every Wu Tang thread spewing bullshyt to try to make other people not like them either.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Why should he switch his style up if his fan base loves it? That like when a rapper tries to broaden their audience and starts making pop bullshyt and they fall off. If TP and his fans are all happy with the product, why are nikkas like you constantly bytching about it? Some nikkas on here stan Wu Tang but I happen to not like them nikkas music. However you won't find me in every Wu Tang thread spewing bullshyt to try to make other people not like them either.
Rap music and the Movie industry are two different monsters.

Tyler Perry is (wrongly)looked at as the best we have to offer when it comes to cinema.While it may be true that he may be potentially opening doors for others it'll be for the same audience he currently caters to.You think movie studios are going to greenlight black sci-fi/horror movies because of TP's success?? Nope.It'll be for the same type of preachy movies aimed at 40 year old black women(Think Like a Man).That's not progress.Other black directors with less clout have evolved,why can't TP? The same nikka that directed Friday,directed The Italian Job.The same nikka that directed Bait directed Olympus has fallen.Why can't TP evolve?Why must he force feed us trash that will lead to other trash shyt being produced?That's why I critique him.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Like I said in another post about TP. His movies are so bad it inspired me to want to make movies too. I always wanted to make movies since I was teen but was intimidated by the film making process. I use to watch really good movies and question if I could write something as intriguing and interesting as say Shawshank Redemption and be successful. Then I saw "Meet the Browns" and thought is was total shyt yet it still made money. That's when I realized most film ideas I have is better than every TP movie I've seen. I started a video production company last year and been making money putting together 3d virtual tours for real estate companies while soliciting millionaire real estate agents to help me invest in a few movie ideas. And me doing this is all because I saw a few TP films and knew I could better than he could from a critic stand point. If I do blow up off of films I can say TP was more influential to me than Scorsese, Spike Lee, Tarantino just cuz he made successful trash. SO I guess the point I'm trying to make is I saw TP movies thought they were garbage and used it to uplift me. So instead of people whining about the damage his movies are doing to the black community use his success as an opportunity to get yours. I've talked with people at Lionsgates who have expressed interest in what I'm doing just based off a few youtube videos I've shown can't say I would even got their attention without the success of TP films.

muzikfrk75

Daps
Reppin
Hold up.

Madea AND Larry The Cable Guy...in the same movie?

The amount of c00nery that will be unleashed :ohlawd:

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Rap music and the Movie industry are two different monsters.

Tyler Perry is (wrongly)looked at as the best we have to offer when it comes to cinema.While it may be true that he may be potentially opening doors for others it'll be for the same audience he currently caters to.You think movie studios are going to greenlight black sci-fi/horror movies because of TP's success?? Nope.It'll be for the same type of preachy movies aimed at 40 year old black women(Think Like a Man).That's not progress.Other black directors with less clout have evolved,why can't TP? The same nikka that directed Friday,directed The Italian Job.The same nikka that directed Bait directed Olympus has fallen.Why can't TP evolve?Why must he force feed us trash that will lead to other trash shyt being produced?That's why I critique him.

One thing you got to remember is TP finances his own films. He is an independent film maker this guy can literally do any type of film he wants cuz he doesn't have to answer to any of the Hollywood brass. He is his own boss. The reason TP stays in his lane is obvious, this guy does not give a fukk about anything but making money. Speaking for me personally, if I was writing, directing and sometimes staring in movies that were critically panned it would have me think about hiring writers, directors and better talent
to make better movies but he doesn't do that why??? Cuz he doesn't care about making better movies this guy has a lane that makes him money and he's gonna stay in it until his money stops coming in, then he will switch formulas to keep the money coming in.
It's like Coca cola. Are you gonna switch up the formula and risk making NEW COKE and losing money and fans or just keep making coca cola classic? If you are real filmmaker then you pull a Mel Gibson ala Passion of the Christ which was fully funded by Gibson and very very risky at the time. If it failed Mel would've lost half of his fortune but it didn't fail and made Mel 100s of millions of dollars off it. TP WOULD NEVER EVER take a risk like that cuz the guy is only a filmmaker in the technical sense artistically he ain't shyt. Even a movie like Temptations would have been better if he had hired writers to punch up his original script but he didn't cuz he doesn't care about that.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Black people always seem to have hate for successful blacks for some reason. You don't like his shyt don't see it or do like one poster said and make your own movies that are better. Its that simple but nope as usual nikkas always coming in hating on another black mans success. I don't give a fukk if he pumps out crud it is what it is and if I like I'll go see it otherwise I wont. Don't have time to hate on him or anybody elses shyt esp if they black cause his weak films I don't like ain't taking no money out my pockets are causing harm to me and my mines. I think cats need to dig deep in themselves to find out whats really behind all this hatred like dude selling crack, pimping out yalls moms, or some other crazy shyt. If you don't like his films cool cause I don't like most of them either but its a difference from not liking shyt and straight up hating.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I'm not a fan of most of TP movies but the whole bashing him constantly theme on this board just got old as fukk. Same nikkas coming in every TP thread saying shyt like "I'd die before I gave him a dollar of my money" "He's worst for our community then crack cocaine" and blah blah blah. Dude has a lane and if you don't like it, then move on and don't support him. The people he caters too sure do love it so he does it for them. My mother and aunts likes most of dudes movies and think they are funny. You won't find me going on rants to them on why I don't like TP and how he is a disgrace. And by the way, my mother and aunts are all happily married to thier first husbands, so I guess TP hasn't brain washed them yet.

Calm down. I didnt say anything about him being a disgrace or that he is brainwashing anyone.

I said his movies are garbage and i stand behind that. People are free to like whatever they want, even if its bad.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Black people always seem to have hate for successful blacks for some reason. You don't like his shyt don't see it or do like one poster said and make your own movies that are better. Its that simple but nope as usual nikkas always coming in hating on another black mans success. I don't give a fukk if he pumps out crud it is what it is and if I like I'll go see it otherwise I wont. Don't have time to hate on him or anybody elses shyt esp if they black cause his weak films I don't like ain't taking no money out my pockets are causing harm to me and my mines. I think cats need to dig deep in themselves to find out whats really behind all this hatred like dude selling crack, pimping out yalls moms, or some other crazy shyt. If you don't like his films cool cause I don't like most of them either but its a difference from not liking shyt and straight up hating.
Exactly, the same cats who support rappers talking about murder and selling dope will come in here and act like TP is gods curse to the black community. Got me wondering if it's because he is super rich or something. And I myself have liked only like 2 or 3 TP movies and the rest I didn't care for but the pure hatred is real from some of these cats on here.
Calm down. I didnt say anything about him being a disgrace or that he is brainwashing anyone.

I said his movies are garbage ans i stand behind that. People are free to like whatever they want, even if its bad.
Very true but as I said before, disliking something and hating something are to different things.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
"It's also Perry's ninth movie ever to open over $20 million; the only two other directors who have that many $20 million debuts are Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis."

Tyler Perry...BLACK EXCELLENCE :blessed::salute:

Its an evolution. Build the brand and when you are the only black director with the clout of a Steven Spielberg he'll be able to make any type of movie he wants and ppl of all colors and creed will flock.

Its ironic to call someone that is rich off black stereotyping "black excellence"

Every hustle is not a good one, just because he is successful doesn't call for celebration. One black man is rich but his legacy is c00ning not excellence.

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN
Its ironic to call someone that is rich off black stereotyping "black excellence"

Every hustle is not a good one, just because he is successful doesn't call for celebration. One black man is rich but his legacy is c00ning not excellence.

I guess you missed the part where i said i fully embrace the ends justifying the means in this type of situation. I don't give a damn if he is c00ning, the difference is that in 2013 nikkas getting PAID to c00n if thats what it is. Now i understand you wanna stand on pride and principle but i've thought long and hard on this and i always wonder why black folks continue to play by more righteous rules than the rest of the world.

Anyway at the end of the day his legacy is still being written so if you choose to turn your back on TP forever for his current c00ning ways despite what greater good he may reap for blacks in the future then thats your prerogative. If you tend to think he'll never amount to shyt, that too sir is your prerogative. On these things we'll have to agree to disagree because i'm gonna stay positive and supportive of the successful brother because if he's c00ning what does that tell you about our own ppl who still go in droves to see his works?!?! Miss me with the c00n talk because its so far off my radar, i couldn't care less. You say all hustles aren't good hustles but thats a morality call and i don't subscribe to much morality code in my life.

His hustle is a legit one and his financial success is real so i'm gonna celebrate that as Black Excellence all day ereyday.

Real

Daps
Reppin
Under Your Skin
Everyone wasting their ti...u know what? Nevermind.

tumblr_lpkvr7K8tz1qbjpmeo1_250.gif

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Tyler Perry bashes the shyt out of Black Women, but they are his main cash cow. But when CNN, MSNBC, or some other news outlet says something about them, they consider themselves under "attack" lol

KnowledgeDropper

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan
1) I respect Perry for producing films for an underservrd market and consistently making films that they want to see. Contrary to a lot of people I don't see his movies as poison for the black community - there is a lot worse out there. Also I respect him as a businessman in general - dude knows how to hustle

2) That said, the quality of his art simply isn't there. Look back to the early to mid 1990s and you can find a lot higher quality black film and television. Is it as bad as the (predominately white) critic base says it is? Probably not, but the shyt isn't that good either. He has attempted to branch out occasionally (like that "Family That Preys" shyt) but he always gets back into his lane.