Tyler Perry Makes History Again

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I just wanna see more diversity from him. I've said it before. TP has ALL the black power in Hollywood these days. If there's a black script, Hollywood says, "let's give it to Tyler" They know he's not gonna do much with it, it's gonna be safe, not cause any stirs, no Oscar/Academy noms to debate, be somewhat cheap and make the profit back.

But I'm tired of these hard-luck/hard-time nikka flicks.

Make something black folks can aspire to. Make "The Cosby Show" of movies. Before the Cosby show, all we had were hard luck/hard time shows like Good Times, Sanford(even tho this is one of my fav shows ever) etc.

Make a positive black movie without a bunch of typical drama. Make a comedy that doesnt involve weed smoking, stealing, or something else. Make an action movie with a rea twist at the end.

I wish I could be more positive but I can't. I like seeing a black dude make money, but most of his work is a mockery and doing more harm than good. Those shows that come on TBS are just not funny, and they shoot like 3 episodes a day. Nothing can be good when you spread ur writing so thin like that.

It aint just me either....this movie got awful reiews on Rotten Tomatoes....16%
Temptation - Rotten Tomatoes

And as you'd imagine, from their reviews, the movie is typical...you know what's gonna happen from scene to scene, you know the "plot" as soon as it pops, up, there's always a hit you over the head obvious 'lesson'

But I guess black folks are just happy to see a movie with black faces.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Here's a good, honest review.

I really wanted this to be a good movie. That is not the case.

This is a horrible movie for a few reasons:

(1.) The actors are frumpy. Even when they are trying to be sexy. Having a six pack that is shown while jogging or coming out of the shower does not suffice. TP just chose frumpy and boring actors. Period. Yes, this matters when you have a movie called "Temptation" and the commercials try to look sexy and tempting. Yes, this matters when we try to support an all Black cast and TP does not give us much to work with. Good actors but drab appearances and drab performances. Can Black actors not have it all?

(2.) I am tired of the "little country folks make it to the biiiiiiiig city and the debul (devil) comes to snatch 'em!!!" routine. This story has been told in every way by Hollywood. Enough already. It is dumb. It is exaggerated. It is unnecessarily dramatic.

(3.) The movie was preachy. I did not pay for a sermon. I paid for a movie about lust and extramarital affairs. The momma was a ridiculous exaggeration. For one, she would not be in my house telling me what to do--even if she disagreed with my lifestyle. For two, she would not be holding an uninvited prayer circle in my house. That was just silly and removed all sexiness potential from this movie.

(4.) What Tyler Perry considers to be the climax of a movie, I consider to be extremely boring and predictable. I will not go into detail but I did not pay to see yet another movie about (fill in the blank) and (fill in the blank). Tyler Perry had yet another lesson to give Black folks and he used this movie for it.

I tried not to give up on TP. He almost lost me with the latest Madea movies, his horrible rendition of Alex Cross, and he has officially lost me with Temptation. I feel hoodwinked, bamboozled, and led astray. This movie will appeal to loyal, die hard Tyler Perry fans. TP is intentionally reaching a particular racial, gender, and age demographic. Generally speaking, this is the demographic that will stick with Tyler Perry and believe in his unnecessarily dramatic and ridiculous stories. Tyler Perry is appealing to a demographic who HE BELIEVES has such low expectations and low standards that they will swoon over a Black man's six pack abs coming out of the shower and ignore the fact that the storyline is stupid. HE BELIEVES they will swoon over a Black man jogging and ignore the fact that his legs are way too skinny in his leggings. LOL. Surely, Black people can multitask much more than TP believes we can. Surely, Black people have higher expectations for actors, story lines, and movie plots than TP believes.

Those who are sticking with TP...GOOD LUCK!

The rest of us are waiting for "Black movies" to mean something more than Tyler Perry

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just wanna see more diversity from him. I've said it before. TP has ALL the black power in Hollywood these days. If there's a black script, Hollywood says, "let's give it to Tyler" They know he's not gonna do much with it, it's gonna be safe, not cause any stirs, no Oscar/Academy noms to debate, be somewhat cheap and make the profit back.

Make something black folks can aspire to. Make "The Cosby Show" of movies. Before the Cosby show, all we had were hard luck/hard time shows like Good Times, Sanford(even tho this is one of my fav shows ever) etc.

Make a positive black movie without a bunch of typical drama. Make a comedy that doesnt involve weed smoking, stealing, or something else. Make an action movie with a rea twist at the end.

I wish I could be more positive but I can't. I like seeing a black dude make money, but most of his work is a mockery and doing more harm than good. Those shows that come on TBS are just not funny, and they shoot like 3 episodes a day. Nothing can be good when you spread ur writing so thin like that.

I'm not following. The majority of TP movies involve black people who are getting it on a major level. Yeah, it's poor people in them as well, but for every person struggling financially, it's another thats getting it. People looking out for each other and such.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

And as you'd imagine, from their reviews, the movie is typical...you know what's gonna happen from scene to scene, you know the "plot" as soon as it pops, up, there's always a hit you over the head obvious 'lesson'

But I guess black folks are just happy to see a movie with black faces.

This is PRECISELY what I'm saying.

Ya'll acting like we didn't have this classic right here:

MV5BMTg1NTk3NTkzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTk4MjAzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

Black people. With money.

Doing.

The.

Damn.

Thing.

But no...we're just going to accept this shyt because "TP makes 20MM! WOW!"

fukk outta here. :smugdraper:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I give this man props for realizing the market potential of single, bitter, entitled women.

It's the Eat, Pray, Love phenomena.

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here's a good, honest review.

That's hardly an honest review. What movie, tv show isn't predictable or retred?

Because you wouldn' allow or say you wouldn't allow something to happen, makes you the authority on what is or isn't realistic?

It's hating nothing more.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
This is PRECISELY what I'm saying.

Ya'll acting like we didn't have this classic right here:

MV5BMTg1NTk3NTkzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTk4MjAzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

Black people. With money.

Doing.

The.

Damn.

Thing.

But no...we're just going to accept this shyt because "TP makes 20MM! WOW!"

fukk outta here. :smugdraper:

There is a difference in someone saying I don't care for Tyler Perry's movies and someone saying fukk Tyler Perry, he is a disgrace and should be shot. Ok, you don't like his flicks, I don't like M Night's movies but I don't go ham on dude with the hate

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I'm not following. The majority of TP movies involve black people who are getting it on a major level. Yeah, it's poor people in them as well, but for every person struggling financially, it's another thats getting it. People looking out for each other and such.

Sorry bruh, not tryna hate, or sound conceited....but to me much of TP's audience is a low-brow audience who has no appreciation or recognization of & for great acting performances. There's a time and place for low-brow, overly predictable, mindless movies(shoot em up action films, slapstick comedies etc)......but it seems like most of his are to me

I remember when my mom wanted to go some one of those MAdea movies, so I went with her. And I went into it with an open mind, but midway thru I was :snoop: at some of the acting. Keisha Knight Pulliam pllaying a struggling addict was :facepalm: The crying came off campy, cheesy. Just made me roll my eyes. And I wanted to it to be good...but it just wasn't. Now the Madea scenes were funny. I'll admit that, no hate.

But what's sad is, I'm sure she could pull it off with better direction and a better script.

Black people who like great performances from Sidney Potier, Morgan Freeman, Denzel, Forest Whitaker, etc are NOT Tyler Perry's audience. Not saying they can't enjoy both, but there's not much crossover there

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:snoop:

i guess im the only one in this thread that really pays attention to tyler perry...

this movie is based on one of his plays.

The Marriage Counselor

movie_The_Marriage_Counselor_DVD.jpg

the plot comes from the play...the nikka writes his own scripts and produces his own movies...these are his own creations..

if you dont like them fine. dont then.

for people who purport to not liking something...you sure have a lot to say about it.

there are people that like his stuff...critics be damned...none of his work has ever been positively reviewed...yet he puts out 2 movies a yr like clock work...and people support it....:skip:

and yet nikkas still naysay and act salty :skip:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Y'all dont have to agree with me.....or the number of other critics of TP. I personally like seeing successful black people, I like his story of homeless rags to riches. It's inspirational.

But him basically being the ONLY black option at this point for Hollywood is not good.

Soon every black movie will begin to copy the TP format. Same old predictable plots, semi-good acting, simple common sense 'lesson' that's overly pushed in the movie. TD Jakes has done a couple movies now that follow the TP format.

See how that works?

All I'm saying is, branch out, show some range. Give the next generation of hopeful black filmakers/actors something to aspire to. Otherwise, they might as well give up and settle into the same mold.

People like F Gary Gray make great movies consistently that aren't always typical black movies.

F Gary Gray did "Friday"...that's a classic hood nikka film......F Gary Gray also did "Italian Job" a great film that's in a completely different realm

See how that works?

:manny:

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Y'all dont have to agree with me.....or the number of other critics of TP. I personally like seeing successful black people, I like his story of homeless rags to riches. It's inspirational.

But him basically being the ONLY black option at this point for Hollywood is not good.

Soon every black movie will begin to copy the TP format. Same old predictable plots, semi-good acting, simple common sense 'lesson' that's overly pushed in the movie. TD Jakes has done a couple movies now that follow the TP format.

See how that works?

All I'm saying is, branch out, show some range. Give the next generation of hopeful black filmakers/actors something to aspire to. Otherwise, they might as well give up and settle into the same mold.

People like F Gary Gray make great movies consistently that aren't always typical black movies.

F Gary Gray did "Friday"...that's a classic hood nikka film......F Gary Gray also did "Italian Job" a great film that's in a completely different realm

See how that works?

There are other black directors out their but they just don't hire an all black cast like TP does nor make as much money. As someone else noted to earlier Fuqua has a movie coming out that looks really good. TP is the go to in Hollywood for his demographic. Maybe we should be asking wy more black directors don't make movies with all black cast instead of being upset at TP for not liking what he does with an all black cast.

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Cant hate on bruh for getting that money, however im not a fan of his movies

Daps
Reppin
NULL

See how that works?

See how that works?

this is bs...he been making movies for about 10 yrs now...where are the copy cats?

now if you were talking about his plays...then i would agree...but his movies? youre wrong

Daps
Reppin
NULL
exactly...

nikkas dont support anything...im talking about black men...brag about downloading...bootlegging shyt...havent bought a cd in years ass nikkas....then wanna complain when there arent movies made for them....you nikkas dont support anything with your $$$....

so ofcourse nobody is thinking about you when they make movies...you dont go

Well...I don't think that's necessarily true...We do go see summer blockbusters like the Avengers, The Dark Knight, Ironman, etc....

But I definitely feel where you coming from....Black men who like film rent more than actually going to the theater....The demographic is there, but no one never capitalizes on it