Tyla pleads the 5th about coloured Vs Black on the breakfast club. Her PR person jumps in.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
First of all you're a fukking idiot.

In South africa there are people who are 100% black and they identify as black. Mixed people over there are categorized as Coloured by everyone. Including black Africans. Colored is a RACICIAL CATEGORY in South Africa.
You angry at me or are you going to point out if anything i said was incorrect?
negged
All i did was explain how it works over here.
but if i were to address how they do it, my opinion is they aint slick. you don't create a new race just by mixing two different ones.
You are just a member of more than one race. You would be black and white. Trying to distinguish your mixed blood as something distinctly its own group is only done by people trying to deny their african ancestry. Nobody who is half asian and half white is calling themselves coloured.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
Different places have different histories, customs,and morales she could’ve used that moment to enlighten instead of doing that

As a famous person you going to have to repeat yourself a few times anyway. The Breakfast Club a major platform if not you wouldn’t be there

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
You angry at me or are you going to point out if anything i said was incorrect?
negged
All i did was explain how it works over here.
but if i were to address how they do it, my opinion is they aint slick. you don't create a new race just by mixing two different ones.
You are just a member of more than one race. You would be black and white. Trying to distinguish your mixed blood as something else is only done by people trying to deny their african ancestry. Nobody who is half asian and half white is calling themselves coloured.
This here just proves my point. You're a fukking idiot. :manny:

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Why are people so pressed about this? Not every country defines “black” the same, not sure why the internet is up in arms over her calling herself “colored” if that’s a racial designation in her country. Get off her dikk…one min they want everyone to be black the next they excommunicating mixed blacks, they can’t make up their mind either way so who cares what she is?
Right.

She is literally from South Africa.

I gotta say, a lot of us expose how ignorant we are when it comes to other cultures when this topic hits. It’s a bad look.

Beyond that I’m like obsessed with this girl. She’s so damn pretty. She’s like a doll. Let her make her music and be cute. She actually has some bops!

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
This here just proves my point. You're a fukking idiot. :manny:
I figured you wouldn't have a way to validate your point. Just mad :umad:
simply saying you don't understand how they do it, is a deflection tactic not an explanation for anything, and is also making the assumption we don't already know and simply disagree. Which is actually the case.

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
That's not a proper response to answer their question and only adds more questions to ask. Her team should have prepared a statement she could either read or memorize.
I read an article she already answered the question before

Dame Dash smiley from this interview came from the same type shyt, he ain’t wanna talk bout Jay Z

I agree TBC woulda been a good platform to carry a nuanced convo about her background but Charlemagne is an assclown and they lookin for clicks

I rock wit how they handled it especially cuz she already addressed it

But it’s not always easy to navigate fame in a different context than the one you grew up in. Like last year when you posted a video on TikTok with the text “I am a Coloured South African” and it created a whole discussion—some would say controversy—online. In the States, the term “Colored” harkens back to the Jim Crow era, evoking viscerally painful reactions from the Black American community and dredging up very real tensions around the lasting impact of colorism in our country. But in South Africa, the term “Coloured” is commonly used to describe the vast multiracial community established legally during apartheid but that has existed since long before that—an ancestral mix of Black African, Indian, Asian, and white with their own language and customs. You ignited a nuanced dialogue about a group that the rest of the world has largely overlooked. What does it feel like to be able to carry that flag for your people?

I’m happy there’s a conversation happening and that people are learning that Africa is more than just Black and white. Obviously, it gets messy and no one likes that, but I’m just happy people know we exist and have our own culture.

When people are like, “You’re denying your Blackness,” it’s not that at all. I never said I am not Black. It’s just that I grew up as a South African knowing myself as Coloured. And now that I’m exposed to more things, it has made me other things too. I’m also mixed-race. I’m also Black. I know people like finding a definition for things, but it’s “and,” not “or.” As young people, we have a platform where we can speak about things like this, things that are new and controversial and scary. It’s a perfect time for this conversation to happen.

She said what it was b she ain’t tryna be the face of this shyt, angel Reese and Caitlin Clark highkey dealing wit the same shyt rn, they just tryna hoop (make music) but people bored and angry at the crib ready to argue

JayGatsby

R.I.P CHINX
Daps
The same "media tactics" most blacks complain about when it comes to trying to sabotage an artist or entertainer for clicks to create controversy is on display here

She's 22 ffs

But it's pretty typical ... he only does it to certain people

ajnapoleon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's the vibe I'm getting around this

If it wasn't a big deal her neck wouldn't have whipped 180 degrees

She should've just said I'm black but classified as colored in South Africa
You know people will still jump on here no matter how she said it

You understand that right?