Twitter debate over who was the bigger star: Snoop Doggy Dogg or 2pac?

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
no. he was a side-man to dre which meant dre was bigger.

snoop was a big selling side-kick rapper in dre's new entourage but he was not a recognisable star outside of hip hop.

snoop was like robin to dre's batman.

if there was no dre, the would be no snoop. everyone knew that and that diminished snoop's individual star power.

even when the snoop's biography film comes out, you know the lead protagonist will be the one playing dre :mjlol:

sideman in your own biography :picard:

no breh. i am just saying that star power includes appeal across entertainment.

and in the states the top singers and rappers are routinely given their chance to shoot their shot in hollywood.

looking at this part of west coast rap alone: tone loc, dre, snoop, cube, eminem, pac etc were all given a chance.

pac was heading for stardom. cube showed he could act.

the argument in this thread is who was the biggest "star" which is why pac's acting in being brought into it.

I hear you, again this isn't 2023. 1992-1993 Snoop was like 18 years old, who was checking for Snoop to be in a leading role in 1993?

Snoop wasn't out like that, he was still rough around the edges in 1993.
Buddy barely did interviews in 1992-1993

I get what you are saying but I don't believe anyone in Hollywood was writing a leading role for Snoop in 92-93

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
no breh. i am just saying that star power includes appeal across entertainment.

and in the states the top singers and rappers are routinely given their chance to shoot their shot in hollywood.

looking at this part of west coast rap alone: tone loc, dre, snoop, cube, eminem, pac etc were all given a chance.

pac was heading for stardom. cube showed he could act.

the argument in this thread is who was the biggest "star" which is why pac's acting in being brought into it.

Pac singles weren't bigger than Snoop's singles.
Snoop's album was the most anticipated album of ALL Time at the Time.
Folks were camped out around the world two days before it came out.
Pac never had that anticipation in 93-94.

The movies that Pac movies and his appearance on TV shows in real time kept him in the space with the youth/teens
A Different World, etc.

2pac music was very militant, controversial, made you think, those type of songs don't truly appeal to the youth/teens to be the talk about or rapped about at recess or at the lunch table.
I get around caught on, Keep your head was cool.
But day after day, the weekends, the parties, you heard, Gin and Juice, What's my Name, DoggyWorld, Ain't No Fun etc.

As I said, Snoop had everybody trying to grow a Afro in 94

2pac when he got to his height, late 95-96 had folks rockin nose rings and get tats. This was not the case in 93-94

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Snoop and it’s not even close. Pac fans are some of the most delusional people on earth tbh.
Pac was the 1st rapper to have three albums go number 1 on billboard three times in a row with Me Against the World, All Eyez on Me and Makaveli.

California Love and How do u Want it were bigger than any Snoop single that came out in the 90s. (Both songs went number 1 on the billboard hot 100.)
Snoop didn't get his first number 1 single until 2004 with Drop it likes its Hot.

Pac sold 7 million records between 1994-1996 with MATW and AEOM.

It was Pac.

BEN23

All Star
Daps
SNOOP WAS BIGGER....SNOOP MIGHT BE THE BIGGEST DEBUT OTHER THEN 50....PAC WAS HOT FOR A YEAR THEN DIED

Hov

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
‘93 Snoop was bigger than ‘96 Pac

Pac was black community famous. He was known and somewhat of a household name outside of rap, but not to the level of ‘93 Snoop

Snoop was bigger than rap itself in ‘93. Your parents would say “stop listening to that Snoop Doggy Dogg shyt” instead of “rap” even though you were listening to a totally diff artist

The President of the USA and politicians used to talk about Snoop, 20 years before politicians talked about and pandered to rappers, and this was way before social media, when politicians were old white men born in the 30s and 40s.

It was only for 1-2 years but he was the biggest rap artist the world had and has ever seen. (Era wise)
The only comparable artist I can see is ‘03 50, post-death Pac (no hate he was huge when he was alive as well but not like when he died) and now Drake, but now Drake is a clear 4th i can even fathom someone trying to debate that.

Maybe JayZ but he don’t got an era like those guys but he is kinda Tom Cruise famous today. But he ain’t rapping for the fame so cross him off

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Snoop is the first hip hop/rap superstar even though LL and Run DMC were extremely popular for their time.

But Pac was more popular than many pop artists in late 95 and all of 96. He came to Death Row and turned Snoop into a sidekick unintentionally — BUT it was good for business. Shame on Suge for not protecting his golden goose and then letting his original one run away.

TQbrit

Banned
Daps
Hmmm, I'd say Tupac is more of a legend status. Snoop is a bigger household name tho

KBtheKey

Top Tier
Daps
Reppin
#Swhtx
I was a newborn when it actually mattered. Now is still not a fair comparison kuz i think pac classics get mentioned more, but I think that's because he died. I wasn't that old back then (or alive) to have experienced pre-1999 rap hits, but after hearing both them nikkas classics I gotta say Snoop was the bigger star.

Im not too familiar with the back then culture so that's the best opinion I can give. I know everybody respects pac, but snoop seemed to be like a living legend even all those years ago