Twitter debate over who was the bigger star: Snoop Doggy Dogg or 2pac?

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
Maybe JayZ but he don’t got an era like those guys but he is kinda Tom Cruise famous today. But he ain’t rapping for the fame so cross him off
Thank you. Camel jockeys always have revisionist history when it comes to Jay-Z. Dude was seen as Biggie’s side kick. When the latter died, Jay-Z’s volume 1 flopped! Sunshine?? He was getting clowned something serious. :mjlol:

It’s only because Def Jam had a revival post Biggie/2Pac’s death that Jay was able to ride the coattails of others. Proof? Can I Get A? Ja Rule was the most memorable person on that track. The beat was hot. Timbaland, Swizz Beatz made that album.

The Hardknock Life tour had heavyweights… Jay was NOT the main draw. He co-headlined with a red hot DMX. Meth, Redman, Beanie and Ja Rule as well.

How is anyone going to mention Jay amongst the legends when he needed the Annie sample to blow up and Beyonce to crossover? Take Beyonce out of the equation and Jay-Z would still be considered an ex-drug dealing hustler. He wouldn’t have had all the doors that opened for him.

Edit: to take it further, even Kanye had a moment where he was ubiquitous. I wouldn’t say bigger than 50 but he definitely rivalled him for towards the end of 50’s tenure so that wasn’t a fair fight in 07 with their album sales battle.

All those people I mentioned in the previous post changed HipHop culture completely in one way or another. Jay-Z NEVER did that. There was never period where people were like “I want that Jay-Z sound” because he never created one. All the other legends has their own distinct sound and style. Who has ever been accused of sounding like Jay-Z? I rest my case.

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Like Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson…

no because quincy and michael could reach those highs without each other.

snoop collapsed without dre. turned to commercial songs, cartoon dogs and fo-shizzle gimmicks for salvation.

they both made history together. Literally changed the whole culture with their respective genres.

Doggystyle was gangster rap’s Thriller.

not sure about that but both are dre :yeshrug:

Hov

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
‘93 Snoop was bigger than ‘96 Pac

Pac was black community famous. He was known and somewhat of a household name outside of rap, but not to the level of ‘93 Snoop

Snoop was bigger than rap itself in ‘93. Your parents would say “stop listening to that Snoop Doggy Dogg shyt” instead of “rap” even though you were listening to a totally diff artist

The President of the USA and politicians used to talk about Snoop, 20 years before politicians talked about and pandered to rappers, and this was way before social media, when politicians were old white men born in the 30s and 40s.

It was only for 1-2 years but he was the biggest rap artist the world had and has ever seen. (Era wise)
The only comparable artist I can see is ‘03 50, post-death Pac (no hate he was huge when he was alive as well but not like when he died) and now Drake, but now Drake is a clear 4th i can even fathom someone trying to debate that.

Maybe JayZ but he don’t got an era like those guys but he is kinda Tom Cruise famous today. But he ain’t rapping for the fame so cross him off
My answer I feel is not even debatable if if the question is “who’s prime was the biggest”

Some people here seem to be answering “who is the bigger/more famous artist” - in that case, I would say 2pac by far

But at both their peaks - Snoop had the biggest peak as a solo artist of ALL TIME hands down period

Only 50 comes close

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
‘93 Snoop was bigger than ‘96 Pac

Pac was black community famous. He was known and somewhat of a household name outside of rap, but not to the level of ‘93 Snoop

Snoop was bigger than rap itself in ‘93. Your parents would say “stop listening to that Snoop Doggy Dogg shyt” instead of “rap” even though you were listening to a totally diff artist

The President of the USA and politicians used to talk about Snoop, 20 years before politicians talked about and pandered to rappers, and this was way before social media, when politicians were old white men born in the 30s and 40s.

It was only for 1-2 years but he was the biggest rap artist the world had and has ever seen. (Era wise)
The only comparable artist I can see is ‘03 50, post-death Pac (no hate he was huge when he was alive as well but not like when he died) and now Drake, but now Drake is a clear 4th i can even fathom someone trying to debate that.

93 Snoop was massive and yet didnt have a song as big as California Love

Hov

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
93 Snoop was massive and yet didnt have a song as big as California Love
I think you do a disservice trying to quantify Snoop (who again was bigger than rap itself for a moment) by record sales and billboard charts

I mean, the Barbie movie sold more than The Matrix or Star Wars but which movies are more culturally impactful in history?

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
no idea how the sales were spread out.

t.png

Stop bruh

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
PAC is a phenomenon globally, he’s got murals of him in deep Latin America and parts of Africa, it’s not comparable, Sniop was the biggest rap star Pac turned into one of the biggest celebrity stars period, and his old work still outpeforms snoop till this very day
Posthumously. We are talking about the 92 to 96. Why is that flying over y’all heads?