Twitter debate over who was the bigger star: Snoop Doggy Dogg or 2pac?

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
You can't fit 2023 elements into the past. I love these debates.
I was around in real time and had the privilege of listening to rap music so young, due to my brothers, uncles, and older friends.
Kids/teens in 1993 wasn't sitting around all willy nilly listening to this kind of music. If you didn't have brothers, and also, if you weren't in either the lower black class, or lower middle-class sector, you in real time wasn't listening to this shyt.

MTV, BET, The Box and the radio stations, were your heavy outlets.

Snoop held the spot from 92 (G-Thang,) as a matter of fact, that Winter of 92, that's when the single dropped, all the way from 92 up until the last single off Doggy Dog World which was 1994. He was the bigger star, due to the mega singles he was on.

Keep in mind, shyt wasn't being dropped like shyt is being dropped today. Snoop had the whole world trying to grow Afros.

2pac wasn't as big as Snoop on the music side in 92-94 in this time frame Pac dropped Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z which had the single "keep your head up" and "I get around" and "holla if you hear me" These singles were not bigger than "Gin and Juice" and Snoop's other's single.

Snoop's debut album was the most anticipated album to come out EVER at the time. 2pac single were good, no shade on those singles, but the fans anticipation for Snoop's debut album was insane.

Here's the twist, 2pac also starred in 3 "black" movies, which kept his persona in the "youth" space. 3 really good movies, with Above The Rim being the one to push him forward. His work on that soundtrack, now had folks wanting to hear more music from him. His antics in the news and his interviews were getting folks attention. He was getting attention as this untouchable person per say (in real time) some folks looked at him as a joke.

So now he's getting the attention from everyone, older black folks, white folks, the youth (from the movies) the ladies, Poetic Justice. He's still not on Snoop's level. Not in that 92–94-time frame. Nobody was seein Snoop

Snoop's done with his album in 94 (no more singles/videos), now he's back in the lab, it usually took a rapper a year and a half to drop another album, he's out of sight per say, pen. The antics from Pac picks up. He's shot 5 times in November 94.

But the shine/throne shifts off of Snoop and goes to Biggie, Biggie kills the 4th quarter of 94. This what folks don't talk about. This is how 2pac came in the space. 2pac is shot 5 times in November 94

95 comes around, NOW Pac is in your face, from the news outlets, interviews. His trial is going on in 95, MTV reporting on it because 2pac is in the news, he just got shot 5 times and he made it out alive and in court (folks thought this was some fake shyt in real time) but as you can imagine, it's a wild time frame from Nov 94 - Feb 95 I wish I can find it, but 2pac was on a talk show with a bullet proof vest on talking shyt about the folks who shot him. I can't remember when this was, but I remember hearing about this interview and folk were saying he was going off. I don't know if it was Ricky Lake, Arsenio, I jus remember hearing about it and that he had on a white bullet proof vest. (I was sleep in bed, had a bed time lol) It was a late night talk show I wanna say.

Now you have 2pac and rumors being talked about, Pac gets sentenced in Feb 95, 2pac drops "Dear Mama" shyt takes the fukk off. Bad Boy still running shyt, they just had too much ammo at that time, so Biggie and them are running shyt. Pac had some good singles, but he's in prison now, he still had the number 1 album, that single was so pressure. It played throughout that summer 95. One of the songs from MATW was in one of the biggest movies of that summer "Bad Boys" So Many Tears comes out that summer of 95, not quite a chart rocker, but it's a solid single, I appreciate it much more as I got older and understood the lyics.
Pac is chilling, you don't hear from him, other than the rumors, they were saying he got raped in jail with a mop handle, I remember that rumor,

So I guess, the Vibe magazine drops with Puffy and Biggie and shyt goes up. Word gets back to PAc and he's sending word back home asking about who set him up.
The Source Award is where the shift happens in August, Suge makes his statement, everybody is looking at Bad Boy funny now.
Rumors are now starting to hit the average fan about Pac's robbery (Snoop drops New York New York) At that time, Bad Boy running shyt, Snoop is not on top but he's still a big dog.
Also in 95, Snoop has nothing really on the air waves but the diss song to NYC with the Dogg Pound which came out in September, Bone Thugs is taken that secondary spot and Bad Boy is running shyt.

December 95 comes and 2pac drops, California Love and now 2pac is on the level or even pass that level where Snoop and Biggie were when they were on top.
The height of Snoop Dog and Biggie combine doesn't come close to Pac's shyt when he got out in 95 and California Love Dropped

I can say this, and folks may disagree, but Pac gave Snoop a fresh air with 2 of America's Most Wanted. I'm not saying folks weren't checking for Snoop but 2pac at the time took up so much stardom, it felt as Snoop wasn't even on DR. You can say Snoop was dealing with the murder trial, true indeed, but 2pac was a different cat when he surpassed everybody.

R.Kelly wanted to do a Best of Both Worlds Album. Quincy Jones wanted to put that together.

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
@NO-BadAzz write paragraphs brehs :picard:

it was "dre AND snoop" or "snoop AND dre" never just "snoop".

you say snoop was the biggest ... so what did he get from hollywood? nothing.

why? because he was not a big star. he was like a member of earth wind and fire. like an ohio player. like a member of early cameo.

ensemble effort and everyone knew it.

pac was getting movies.

big female janet was getting movies.

biggest female madonna getting movies.

mj getting movies.

snoop somehow ignored.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
When Doggystyle dropped, it was similar buzz to Get rich or die trying dropping.

that buzz was due to the gansta rap / g-funk style on "deep cover" and "the chronic"

it was dre that drove those sales as seen when snoop did his own thing without dre and bombed.

then later producers neptunes, timbaland, dre etc saved snoop again.

no dre == no snoop.

no snoop and dre would still have done fine.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
You can't fit 2023 elements into the past. I love these debates.
I was around in real time and had the privilege of listening to rap music so young, due to my brothers, uncles, and older friends.
Kids/teens in 1993 wasn't sitting around all willy nilly listening to this kind of music. If you didn't have brothers, and also, if you weren't in either the lower black class, or lower middle-class sector, you in real time wasn't listening to this shyt.

MTV, BET, The Box and the radio stations, were your heavy outlets.

Snoop held the spot from 92 (G-Thang,) as a matter of fact, that Winter of 92, that's when the single dropped, all the way from 92 up until the last single off Doggy Dog World which was 1994. He was the bigger star, due to the mega singles he was on.

Keep in mind, shyt wasn't being dropped like shyt is being dropped today. Snoop had the whole world trying to grow Afros.

2pac wasn't as big as Snoop on the music side in 92-94 in this time frame Pac dropped Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z which had the single "keep your head up" and "I get around" and "holla if you hear me" These singles were not bigger than "Gin and Juice" and Snoop's other's single.

Snoop's debut album was the most anticipated album to come out EVER at the time. 2pac single were good, no shade on those singles, but the fans anticipation for Snoop's debut album was insane.

Here's the twist, 2pac also starred in 3 "black" movies, which kept his persona in the "youth" space. 3 really good movies, with Above The Rim being the one to push him forward. His work on that soundtrack, now had folks wanting to hear more music from him. His antics in the news and his interviews were getting folks attention. He was getting attention as this untouchable person per say (in real time) some folks looked at him as a joke.

So now he's getting the attention from everyone, older black folks, white folks, the youth (from the movies) the ladies, Poetic Justice. He's still not on Snoop's level. Not in that 92–94-time frame. Nobody was seein Snoop

Snoop's done with his album in 94 (no more singles/videos), now he's back in the lab, it usually took a rapper a year and a half to drop another album, he's out of sight per say, pen. The antics from Pac picks up. He's shot 5 times in November 94.

But the shine/throne shifts off of Snoop and goes to Biggie, Biggie kills the 4th quarter of 94. This what folks don't talk about. This is how 2pac came in the space. 2pac is shot 5 times in November 94

95 comes around, NOW Pac is in your face, from the news outlets, interviews. His trial is going on in 95, MTV reporting on it because 2pac is in the news, he just got shot 5 times and he made it out alive and in court (folks thought this was some fake shyt in real time) but as you can imagine, it's a wild time frame from Nov 94 - Feb 95 I wish I can find it, but 2pac was on a talk show with a bullet proof vest on talking shyt about the folks who shot him. I can't remember when this was, but I remember hearing about this interview and folk were saying he was going off. I don't know if it was Ricky Lake, Arsenio, I jus remember hearing about it and that he had on a white bullet proof vest. (I was sleep in bed, had a bed time lol) It was a late night talk show I wanna say.

Now you have 2pac and rumors being talked about, Pac gets sentenced in Feb 95, 2pac drops "Dear Mama" shyt takes the fukk off. Bad Boy still running shyt, they just had too much ammo at that time, so Biggie and them are running shyt. Pac had some good singles, but he's in prison now, he still had the number 1 album, that single was so pressure. It played throughout that summer 95. One of the songs from MATW was in one of the biggest movies of that summer "Bad Boys" So Many Tears comes out that summer of 95, not quite a chart rocker, but it's a solid single, I appreciate it much more as I got older and understood the lyics.
Pac is chilling, you don't hear from him, other than the rumors, they were saying he got raped in jail with a mop handle, I remember that rumor,

So I guess, the Vibe magazine drops with Puffy and Biggie and shyt goes up. Word gets back to PAc and he's sending word back home asking about who set him up.
The Source Award is where the shift happens in August, Suge makes his statement, everybody is looking at Bad Boy funny now.
Rumors are now starting to hit the average fan about Pac's robbery (Snoop drops New York New York) At that time, Bad Boy running shyt, Snoop is not on top but he's still a big dog.
Also in 95, Snoop has nothing really on the air waves but the diss song to NYC with the Dogg Pound which came out in September, Bone Thugs is taken that secondary spot and Bad Boy is running shyt.

December 95 comes and 2pac drops, California Love and now 2pac is on the level or even pass that level where Snoop and Biggie were when they were on top.
The height of Snoop Dog and Biggie combine doesn't come close to Pac's shyt when he got out in 95 and California Love Dropped

I can say this, and folks may disagree, but Pac gave Snoop a fresh air with 2 of America's Most Wanted. I'm not saying folks weren't checking for Snoop but 2pac at the time took up so much stardom, it felt as Snoop wasn't even on DR. You can say Snoop was dealing with the murder trial, true indeed, but 2pac was a different cat when he surpassed everybody.

R.Kelly wanted to do a Best of Both Worlds Album. Quincy Jones wanted to put that together.
Excellent post! Snoop didn’t really disappear in 94 though. Murder was the case came out and the doggystyle singles was still in heavy rotation. Lady of Rage dropped Afro puffs featuring snoop. Regulate dropped that year also (213 snoop connection)

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
no. he was a side-man to dre which meant dre was bigger.

snoop was a big selling side-kick rapper in dre's new entourage but he was not a recognisable star outside of hip hop.

snoop was like robin to dre's batman.

if there was no dre, the would be no snoop. everyone knew that and that diminished snoop's individual star power.

even when the snoop's biography film comes out, you know the lead protagonist will be the one playing dre :mjlol:

sideman in your own biography :picard:
I disagree. Musically if you want to consider him a side kick, that's fine, but he was definitely more famous than Dre.

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I disagree. That trial sent Snoop's fame to outer space. He became a household name because of that. Then there was a huge campaign to buy all his cd's and crush them that got him more fame. Musically if you want to consider him a side kick, that's fine, but he was definitely more famous than Dre.

"more famous" without top-billing :mjlol:

s-l1600.jpg

even at recent superbowl

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
@NO-BadAzz write paragraphs brehs :picard:

it was "dre AND snoop" or "snoop AND dre" never just "snoop".

you say snoop was the biggest ... so what did he get from hollywood? nothing.

why? because he was not a big star. he was like a member of earth wind and fire. like an ohio player. like a member of early cameo.

ensemble effort and everyone knew it.

pac was getting movies.

big female janet was getting movies.

biggest female madonna getting movies.

mj getting movies.

snoop somehow ignored.

Not sure if you are trolling, but Snoop is a rapper. Not an actor

What was he suppose to get from Hollywood?
A leading role?

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
"more famous" without top-billing :mjlol:

s-l1600.jpg

even at recent superbowl

..nobody looked at Dre and Snoop as equals star power wise . Dre attached himself like he did with Eminem but everyone looked at Snoop as the main nikka despite the pairing the same way nikkas knew Em was that guy when Dre tagged along with him.

You’re in this thread looking nuts bro

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
..nobody looked at Dre and Snoop as equals star power wise . Dre attached himself like he did with Eminem but everyone looked at Snoop as the main nikka despite the pairing the same way nikkas knew Em was that guy when Dre tagged along with him.

nikka prolly in his 20's

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Not sure if you are trolling, but Snoop is a rapper. Not an actor

What was he suppose to get from Hollywood?
A leading role?

no breh. i am just saying that star power includes appeal across entertainment.

and in the states the top singers and rappers are routinely given their chance to shoot their shot in hollywood.

looking at this part of west coast rap alone: tone loc, dre, snoop, cube, eminem, pac etc were all given a chance.

pac was heading for stardom. cube showed he could act.

the argument in this thread is who was the biggest "star" which is why pac's acting in being brought into it.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV

:mjlol: even snoop rapped on his nolimit joints that people thought he couldn't do it without dre. (no quotes).

and in the end he didn't do it without dre.

was snoop "nuts" too?