'Twisters' (dir. by Lee Isaac Chung) | Starring Daisy Edgar-Jones, Glen Powell | Official Trailer (7/19)

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
fukking reviews are irritating..was thinking about seeing tgis on Monday but No Helen Hunt..odd reviews. Would be a waste of time.
Saw this last night.
Was really disappointed - a really bad script and the action scenes were disappointing. The sets of the towns were also shot in a way that it was so obvious it was on a set.
I liked Glen Powell and Anthony Ramos.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
Saw this a few days ago at an advance screening and it was okay. It wasn’t better then the original but it was still a fun watch.

Felt lowkey like “Fast & The Furious” just with tornados. The way they would just casually just drive into a tornado like nothing had me like :beli:

Like folks said before, it would have been nice if Helen Hunt had a role in this. IMO it should have been revealed that the main character is the daughter of Bill and Jo.

Would have made sense that she is a storm chaser because she is continuing their legacy. And since Bill Paxton died in real life they could have made it a storyline that the character Bill died chasing tornados and that scarred Jo so the daughter is continuing his legacy. Or some shyt like that…

Who knows if this movie does really well they will do another movie and bring her into it.

Other then that..this movie was cool :ehh:

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
It was aight. The weird sense of self preservation had me tossing and turning in my seat. like how u wanna rescue people but keep getting people potentially killed at the same time? It wasn't adding up.. like these people ain't first responders. you had the random Englishman bracing for death in every scene.

& they did my boy Ramos dirty acting like he was going for her at any point. Talking bout she tired but then going to look at bulls with Tornada Tom.. she was cute but plain as hell. he had better work with the chick from Transformers but that's another story.

As usual Glen Powell carries another average film. He gotta get on his Adam Driver and start doing prestige work. At the end of the day you basically gotta leave your brain at the door on this one. I don't think I saw the original so I'm about to peep later.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
it was aight. Nothing wrong with the cinematography, but I don't feel like i got my IMAX experience from this movie. In fact, there were points where the music took over scenes and was a little distracting.

One of the good things was they actually had some likeable characters. Glen Powell's character was very charismatic and likeable.

One thing i didn't like was they treated tornados kinda like the dinosaurs in those Starlord Jurassic Park movies. Like they were not dangerous and you could just be out there with them and damn near petting the tornados.

This is definitely a turn your brain off type of movie.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The original was 1996 right? I remember watching it around that time.

Would have been 11 years old or so. I was way more into violent action movies and thrillers, then anything to do with natural disasters or basically anything that wasn't violent. It was slow and not great to me as a kid, but it's been 25 plus years now. Interesting, is that back then, they were sold as vaguely serious minded movies. and this seems pure "thrills" and Fast and Furious style action. It wasn't marketed to kids, but most of the PG-13 rated drama thrillers were watched by kids.

Being forced to see Apollo 13 in theaters was one of the worst movie experiences of my life. But Twister was a pretty big movie for whatever reason. There was a lot of these kinds of fairly absurd, but reasonably plausible movies around 1996-1998, I am sure there is some cultural timely reasons for this.

Twister, Volcano, Daylight, Deep Impact, Dante's Peak, and Armageddon. Hard Rain. The Perfect Storm. Anaconda. Maybe. As a kid we took it all pretty seriously.

they all very similar titles too lol -quasi official terms, very direct and serious minded.

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
A zillion times better than the first one. I'm all for 90s remakes when they cut out all the dumb mandated shyt from the big budget 90s movies.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
A zillion times better than the first one. I'm all for 90s remakes when they cut out all the dumb mandated shyt from the big budget 90s movies. I like that they subverted the bag chasers vs passion chasers shyt from the OG, and in general that angle makes WAY more sense in today's social media/influencer era where every career under the sun is subject to fame whores

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The original was 1996 right? I remember watching it around that time.

Would have been 11 years old or so. I was way more into violent action movies and thrillers, then anything to do with natural disasters or basically anything that wasn't violent. It was slow and not great to me as a kid, but it's been 25 plus years now. Interesting, is that back then, they were sold as vaguely serious minded movies. and this seems pure "thrills" and Fast and Furious style action. It wasn't marketed to kids, but most of the PG-13 rated drama thrillers were watched by kids.

Being forced to see Apollo 13 in theaters was one of the worst movie experiences of my life. But Twister was a pretty big movie for whatever reason. There was a lot of these kinds of fairly absurd, but reasonably plausible movies around 1996-1998, I am sure there is some cultural timely reasons for this.

Twister, Volcano, Daylight, Deep Impact, Dante's Peak, and Armageddon. The Perfect Storm. Anaconda. Maybe. As a kid we took it all pretty seriously.

they all very similar titles too lol -quasi official terms, very direct and serious minded.
Independence Day and Godzilla too. After Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park pretty much codified the modern summer blockbuster came the era of big dumb action blockbusters with massive premises trying to quadruple down on that shyt. Eventually they figured out how to do them better. Cuz like you said, they were advertised as these super serious movies but had a lot of dumbass goofy corporate mandated shyt too since monoculture was still a thing.

Y2K was probably a big factor too. Fascination with disasters

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Independence Day and Godzilla too. After Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park pretty much codified the modern summer blockbuster came the era of big dumb action blockbusters with massive premises trying to quadruple down on that shyt. Eventually they figured out how to do them better. Cuz like you said, they were advertised as these super serious movies but had a lot of dumbass goofy corporate mandated shyt too since monoculture was still a thing.

Y2K was probably a big factor too. Fascination with disasters

excellent points.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I think in general, big budget movies these days have a better sense of what they're trying to do and what audience they're serving. A lot of 90s shyt especially had weird identity crises.

The downside though is it leads to big budget movies being safer and blander. 90s movies took bigger risks and had a more eclectic range of subject matter, themes and influences even if it lead to a lot of dumb shyt, since they were trying to reach EVERYBODY

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I think in general, big budget movies these days have a better sense of what they're trying to do and what audience they're serving. A lot of 90s shyt especially had weird identity crises.

The downside though is it leads to big budget movies being safer and blander. 90s movies took bigger risks and had a more eclectic range of subject matter, themes and influences even if it lead to a lot of dumb shyt, since they were trying to reach EVERYBODY

less pandering and algorithmic targeting too. 90's movies were weirder because studios and writers were less concerned with what exact audiences wanted. and of course studios copied each other. Think of something like

Conspiracy Theory: mid budget adult thriller with two major stars, about a paranoid cab driver and a Justice Department lawyer, who wanted this movie?

8mm: dark and weird Joel Shumacher movie with major star as a private detective tracking a snuff film. Who asked for that?

yet they were in their time, fukking dope. and somewhat original and weird, and not trying to please anyone.

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
less pandering and algorithmic targeting too. 90's movies were weirder because studios and writers were less concerned with what exact audiences wanted. and of course studios copied each other. Think of something like

Conspiracy Theory: mid budget adult thriller with two major stars, about a paranoid cab driver and a Justice Department lawyer, who wanted this movie?

8mm: dark and weird Joel Shumacher movie with major star as a private detective tracking a snuff film. Who asked for that?

yet they were in their time fukking dope. and somewhat original and weird, and not trying to please anyone.
Yeah I think I was off on saying they were trying to reach everybody...it was more that they knew anybody was bound to come across the shyt somehow since things weren't decentralized, so they had a more devil may care approach as you said.