TSC MEMBER God basically said DX was MUCH BIGGER than the NwO

Who was bigger in history? NwO (original) or DX (Comedy Ripoff)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
By kids I mean up to around 14/15, and with 8-10 million wrestling viewers at the time it's not a stretch.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I think I have a general idea what OP means. That the "minutia" of DX crossed over into the social consciousness in a way it never did with the nwo. Like people would do the suck it but it's not like you saw ppl doin the 4 life or the Wolfpack shyt. Or sayin shyt like too sweet. That shyt kinda just stuck to wrestling.

Nwo paved the way for DX but thats the really the only thing you could say. Nwo might have conquered wcw and conquered wrestling, but DX (along with austin of course) helped conquer the world. Wrestling was bigger under the regime of Austin / DX than it ever was under the regime of Hogan and the nwo.

But of course without the nwo there would be no DX... so it's all matter of how you look it.

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
WWF's Attitude, at it's height, was way bigger and pop cultural than Nitro ever was. I'm talking 1999-ish here. At it's height, Nitro pulled a 5.5 rating (Sept, 7 1998)...roughly a year later when WWF was in it's hot run, RAW regularly did 6's and occasional 7's. It wasn't just the biggest show in wrestling anymore it was the biggest show on cable.

DX's crotch drop and suck it catchphrase was just life back then, you didn't even have to watch wrestling to do it, it was just cool. As a kid (Junior High or High School), every boy did the crotch drop and every girl knew where it came from when they heard it.

nWo is my fav faction of all time..I fukks with nWo way more than I fukk with DX but those are just #facts.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I think I have a general idea what OP means. That the "minutia" of DX crossed over into the social consciousness in a way it never did with the nwo. Like people would do the suck it but it's not like you saw ppl doin the 4 life or the Wolfpack shyt. Or sayin shyt like too sweet. That shyt kinda just stuck to wrestling.

Nwo paved the way for DX but thats the really the only thing you could say. Nwo might have conquered wcw and conquered wrestling, but DX (along with austin of course) helped conquer the world. Wrestling was bigger under the regime of Austin / DX than it ever was under the regime of Hogan and the nwo.

But of course without the nwo there would be no DX... so it's all matter of how you look it.

There was no DX Regime. ..crowd was cheering against DX BY Summerslam 98 for Rock and Foley...which is why they got pushed harder over DX from that point forward.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
nWo started the whole boom. and yeah vince solidified hall and nash as razor/diesel but if they had stayed would they have blown up as much as they did by going to WCW with a more "real" gimmick? probably not. would the envelope have been pushed as far without the nWo? no, at least no where near as quickly. on SCSA's podcast with Nash or Hall (or both I forget) he gave credit to them for 1) opening up the spot for him to rise (HHH caught heat and Austin was booked at KOTR on the fly) 2) they pressured WWF to innovate and evolve from their cheesy gimmicks 3) it changed the whole paradigm of wrestling at the time and made headlines because at first people really thought Hall was literally invading WCW as Razor Ramon. 4) They started the guaranteed contract era forcing WWF to change their business and booking structure.

They even had some fans calling into police thinking that the beatings with weapons and stuff weren't supposed to be a part of the show because they couldn't believe it and/or actually thought they were some thugs not employed by the company. the nWo was getting HEAT. NUCLEAR. DX was very popular but it didnt start the wave and it worked off the top because a lot of people saw it as the WWF's "version" of the nWo and HBK/HHH were already well-associated publicly with Hall and Nash amongst wrestling fans so they were willing to give it a shot. It worked for WWF and was VERY popular..but if/when DX was ever more over than SCSA/The Rock, it wasnt when WWF was rallying or overcoming WCW. The Rock and SCSA propelled WWF higher and DX supplemented and continued the rise while WCW was shooting themselves in the foot. They had some differences obviously but DX was like a great pair of bootleg Jordans.

Last edited:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
And kids and highschoolers were copying the Rock over anything unless you lived in North Dakota or Connecticut...even NY flipped from SUCK IT to ROCKY LIVE on PPV. Then he out popped Austin at Breakdown 98 while no one even remembers what DX DID on that show. DX never had a moment like that...crowd was cheering Nash over Goldberg at Starrcade 98. .stuff like that.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
There was no DX Regime. ..crowd was cheering against DX BY Summerslam 98 for Rock and Foley...which is why they got pushed harder over DX from that point forward.
No one was cheering against DX.

In fact DX were the fan favortes over the nation going into summerslam. Remember the parody skit? People loved DX. Hunter got a POP when he beat Rock for the IC title.

You can't talk about the attitude era and not talk about DX. they were at worst the 3rd biggest "thing" most associated with the wwf during that time period, next to Austin and Rock. Foley is a legend but he's not bigger than DX.

I don't know remember when exactly you could draw that line and pinpoint the day they fell out of favor, but the mark they left on that era... whether it was under shawn's leadership of hunter's, is undeniable.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
U missed Summerslam 98..because they were chanting D LO big time...chanting LET'S GO ROCKY in the IC TITLE match and went insane ROCKY chants after the People's Elbow. They were chanting Foley against the new age outlaws.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
nWo even pretty much started the live broadcast movement. :camby:yeah yeah the mick foley championship backfire ok..thats besides the point. nWo went live to keep it unpredictable to go along with the booking of the storyline. they changed the game in so many ways and took it to levels never seen before or since and probably never again. this is really no contest

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
No one was cheering against DX.

In fact DX were the fan favortes over the nation going into summerslam. Remember the parody skit? People loved DX. Hunter got a POP when he beat Rock for the IC title.

You can't talk about the attitude era and not talk about DX. they were at worst the 3rd biggest "thing" most associated with the wwf during that time period, next to Austin and Rock. Foley is a legend but he's not bigger than DX.

I don't know remember when exactly you could draw that line and pinpoint the day they fell out of favor, but the mark they left on that era... whether it was under shawn's leadership of hunter's, is undeniable.

What? Foley was a maineventer. ..DX was just mid card act. What are u talking about? And DX was never ahead of Undertaker ever. He didn't put them over. He didn't lose to them. Dominated all of them really. By 1999, DX was a joke.

"Give me a HELL YEAH if u think DX SUCKS"
"The Rock says he would rather stick his finger down his throat and spew the People's vomit than have another DX night"

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
nWo even pretty much started the live broadcast movement. :camby:yeah yeah the mick foley championship backfire ok..thats besides the point. nWo went live to keep it unpredictable to go along with the booking of the storyline. they changed the game in so many ways and took it to levels never seen before or since and probably never again. this is really no contest
The nWo got a little "too real" for neighbors around WCW events...they literally thought the nWo crew was breaking into the events and beating people up backstage.

The fact that people would even attempt to give a legit case in where DX was better than the nWo or had more exposure at ANY level is straight disrespect to the history of the sport. I won't stand for it and neither should wrestling fans.

XII

Veteran
Supporter
Daps