Trump just put in a rush order to execute 4 more Black folk before inauguration day

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
The people in question were sentenced in the 1990s because the federal death penalty was eliminated in the 1970s and 1980s.
Thank you for providing context, but it doesn't change my point. The states were financially incentivized by the terms of the 1994 crime bill to produce harsher sentences.

This, sadly, is the result. If Trump didn't do it, some subsequent president would have. :francis:

My larger point was, it isn't "pro black" to demand harsher sentencing and then play shocked when the shyt comes down the pike. Either you're against it ALL THE TIME, even against Democrats, or stfu.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
In the present climate, if I suggest that the US does most things better than 90% of entire world, I may get "negged" (?). But I have no sorrow on being on the short list of thugs that still believe in an eye for an eye and concern for victims after the fact.
I appreciate the discourse.
Well then, if you are happy to be on the "short list" of China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, North Korean, Egypt, Pakistan, and Somalia, then don't be surprised that similar policies end up with similar results. The same mentality that leads us to be one of the few nations still ordering state-sponsored executions in large numbers is the mentality that leads us to be one of the few nations where police kill hundreds of their fellow citizens, is the mentality that leads us to lock up our own populace at a rate far higher than any developed nation, is the mentality that leads us to have far more gun deaths than any other developed nation, is the mentality that leads us to send our soldiers to bomb and kill black and brown people across the entire planet. It's not a coincidence that we're "special" in all those ways - it's all the same connected mentality.

EndGame

Superstar
Daps
I disagree.

My ignorance was that your post did not provide enough information, thus my inquiry for the consternation.

There are currently 54 people on federal death row: 24 Black men, 21 White men, seven Latinos, one Asian and one White woman, according to the Death Penalty Information Center. Of the eight who have been executed so far this year, six were White men and two were Black men - all of whom were executed without protest.

The pending executions are;
Brandon Bernard, a Black man, was 18 when he, Christopher Vialva and others were convicted for the 1999 murder of a pair of youth ministers in Texas. Vialva, who was 19 at the time of the crime, was executed in September after exhausting his appeals. Bernard's last request for a stay of execution to the Supreme Court was denied last Thursday. He's scheduled to die on December 10 and will be the youngest person in nearly 70 years whom the US will execute for a crime committed while a teenager.
Alfred Bourgeois, a Black man, was sentenced to death by a Texas jury for abusing, torturing and ultimately beating his daughter to death in 2002. Bourgeois' attorney Victor Abreu said in a statement on Friday that his client is scheduled to be executed on December 11. After the Supreme Court ruled that another death row inmate cannot be executed because of his intellectual disability, Abreu is seeking to have Bourgeois' case reheard to produce similar evidence.
Lisa Montgomery is the first and only woman scheduled to be federally executed in nearly 70 years. Montgomery, a White woman who was convicted in 2004 for killing a pregnant woman, cutting the baby out and passing it off as her own, was granted a stay on her execution until December 31 due to her attorneys' coronavirus diagnosis, and it is now set for January 12. The Trump administration has rejected Montgomery's request for a reprieve.
• Corey Johnson, a Black man, is scheduled for execution on January 14 for killing seven people in 1992 as a part of a drug trade in Virginia. Johnson's attorneys Ronald J. Tabak and Donald P. Salzman argue that no jury heard evidence to rule on his intellectual disability. According to Johnson's attorneys, he has an IQ of 69, which would be lower than one standard offered by the Supreme Court as a guide for states weighing whether such an execution met the Constitution's cruel and unusual punishment standards. Johnson's co-defendant was spared a life sentence due to his own intellectual disability.
• The federal government is expected to execute Dustin Higgs, a Black man who was sentenced to death "despite not killing anyone," his attorney Shawn Nolan said in a statement after the Justice Department's announcement on Friday. Higgs' co-defendant and the convicted triggerman received life without parole for the 1996 killings of three women in Maryland. Higgs was convicted under a theory that even though he hadn't pulled the trigger he had ordered the killings, his attorney said. One of the co-defendants testified that Higgs did order the shootings.

For those keeping score, since 1973, 172 people who had been sentenced to death in state court were found to have been wrongfully convicted, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a national nonprofit that has tracked and studied death penalty cases across the country for 30 years.

No federal death row inmates have been found to have been wrongfully convicted.

To be truly informed, I think victim statements would be in order, but since that won't happen, I'll leave it at this.

Dapped. OP is a fakkit for leaving this info out.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Thank you for providing context, but it doesn't change my point. The states were financially incentivized by the terms of the 1994 crime bill to produce harsher sentences.

This, sadly, is the result. If Trump didn't do it, some subsequent president would have. :francis:
That's simply not true that it was inevitable. Considering the current climate (where only FIVE states in the entire country executed someone this year), it would not be at all surprising if a subsequent president commuted all those sentences to just be life in prison. 21 states have already abolished the death penalty and another 15 or so haven't approved an execution in a decade. That's a strong majority. It would not be the least bit surprising if a future president did that at the federal level.

My larger point was, it isn't "pro black" to demand harsher sentencing and then play shocked when the shyt comes down the pike. Either you're against it ALL THE TIME, even against Democrats, or stfu.
I always oppose harsher sentencing. And I always support those who have been consistently against harsher sentencing over those who approved harsher sentences 20-30 years ago. I just think it's silly to try to play off what someone supported 20-30 years ago, and then changed their mind and stopped supporting, as if that's the equivalent to the ones supporting it right now.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I posted the exact shyt the perps did and context of their trials a full 61 comments before the man you quoted did, dumbass.

Since September damn near everyone Trump has had executed or planned for execution has been Black. Gonna list them here:

Christopher Vialva: Convicted of murdering a couple in Texas in 1999 when he was just a teenager. During the trial prosecutors called him the leader of a "Black street gang" and emphasized his race as opposed to the race of his White victims. Documents the prosecutors failed to disclose showed he was actually seven levels away from the top of the gang hierarchy. Admitted to and repented of the murder in prison. In 2005 the Supreme Court outlawed the use of the death penalty for crimes committed before the age of 18 (the USA was literally the last developed country to still execute in such cases), but Vialva was 19 when he committed the crimes. Was 40 years old when he was executed on September 24.

Orlando Hall: A marijuana distributor who got stiffed by two of his dealers, went to their home to get them and only their sister was there. She was killed by a group of five men. Hall was convicted by an all-white jury in Texas in 1994, he is the only one of the five men on death row. He repented of the murder while in prison and expressed remorse, turning his life around. Executed on November 19th.

Brandon Bernard: Convicted for the same crime that Christopher Vialva was executed for. Was only 18 at the time of the murders and was not involved in planning them, was not even present when they were kidnapped, and did not kill either of the victims. His only involvement was driving the car afterwards and burning the car with the dead bodies inside. Convicted by a Texas jury of 11 White folk and 1 Black man. Documents the prosecutors failed to share at trial showed he was literally at the very bottom of the gang hierarchy. Five of the jurors who sentenced him to death have since changed their minds and said he should not be executed, citing falsehoods they were told by the prosecutor during the trial (the false claim that the couple was still alive when he set the fire and the false claim that he was likely to be violent in prison). One of the prosecutors on that team has now broken ranks and is fighting to stop the execution. He has been described as a model prisoner and stabilizing presence, and helped start a youth advocacy project. He is set to be executed on December 10th.

Alfred Bourgeois: Yet another Texas man, convicted for the 2002 abuse and killing of his own two-year-old daughter, shortly after a paternity test had shown he was the father. In the trial prosecutors stated that he killed the girl in a fit of rage after she accidentally overturned her toilet inside of the big rig he was driving. IQ tests have shown that he is mentally disabled, with an IQ of only 70-75, but this evidence was not presented at trial. He is set to be executed on December 11th.

Cory Johnson: Virginia crack dealer who was convicted of a series of drug-related murders in 1992. The victims were rival dealers, "snitches", and people who had "disrespected" the gang. Johnson was the son of a drug-addicted mother, subjected to physical and emotional abuse and neglect, and was abandoned by her at the age of 13 due to her inability to cope with his severe learning disabilities. He was then raised in a special home for children with intellectual and emotional impairments. At 18 he was released to the streets, where he became a dealer. Nothing regarding his disabilities was presented to the judge or jury during the trial. He is set to be executed on January 14th.

Dustin Higgs: Convicted in Maryland in 1996 of the homicide of a group of three women who had threatened to set him and his friends up after a date gone wrong. All witnesses agreed that Higgs did not kill any of the victims. Prosecutors argued that he had "bullied" the gunman into committing the crimes, but the gunman himself submitted a signed affidavit stating that was bullshyt and he had carried out the murders of his own accord, testimony supported by several other inmates who had shared a cell with the gunman but which was not allowed at Higgs's trial. Higgs was sitting in the driver's seat of the car while the gunman shot the women with Higgs's gun. The gunman, paradoxically, was only sentenced to life in prison. Higgs is scheduled to be executed on January 15th, MLK Jr. Day.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
It would not be the least bit surprising if a future president did that at the federal level.
:patrice:Eh... Idk, breh. :usure:
I just think it's silly to try to play off what someone supported 20-30 years ago, and then changed their mind and stopped supporting,
When that somebody is old as shyt and hung out with segregationists as a full grown adult, I find myself unwilling to offer such leniency.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
:patrice:Eh... Idk, breh. :usure:

When that somebody is old as shyt and hung out with segregationists as a full grown adult, I find myself unwilling to offer such leniency.
It depends on what you call "leniency".

never hanging out with segregationists > praising fellow congressmen and senators who were once segregationists

hanging out with segregationists right now < hanging out with segregationists 30 years ago

I think Biden was a shytty fukking candidate and I don't have a lot of hopes for him. During the primaries I supported almost anyone else other than him (well, anyone other than Buttigieg and Bloomberg, they were hot trash too). Unfortunately, older Black voters and the CBC swept Biden into victory for whatever reasons, and that just is what it is and we have to live with it. But as little faith as I have in Biden, what you're seeing from Trump is a completely different level. There's just no fukking way Biden would be pulling the shyt that Trump is pulling right now.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
. But as little faith as I have in Biden, what you're seeing from Trump is a completely different level. There's just no fukking way Biden would be pulling the shyt that Trump is pulling right now.
I hear you.

I'm personally of the opinion that biden would have either done it (right before Christmas or some other time when nobody's paying attention) OR kicked the can down the road, meaning, leaving them in death row, on line for execution.

I see the difference but I feel like it's splitting hairs. Let's not overstate things. :usure:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I hear you.

I'm personally of the opinion that biden would have either done it (right before Christmas or some other time when nobody's paying attention) OR kicked the can down the road, meaning, leaving them in death row, on line for execution.

I see the difference but I feel like it's splitting hairs. Let's not overstate things. :usure:

I think Biden likely will kick the can down the road, and the first millennial Democrat president (either 2028 or 2032) will abolish it completely.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Name the convicts and their crimes. Last dude executed raped and buried a 16yrs old Black girl alive. Some of people gotta go.

Your dumbass didn't even read the thread and see that I already did that on the first page, then you went on the attack for shyt you could have seen yourself if you just read, and now you negged me for YOUR mistake.

Just can't discuss shyt with some people. :snoop:

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
It depends on what you call "leniency".

never hanging out with segregationists > praising fellow congressmen and senators who were once segregationists

hanging out with segregationists right now < hanging out with segregationists 30 years ago

I think Biden was a shytty fukking candidate and I don't have a lot of hopes for him. During the primaries I supported almost anyone else other than him (well, anyone other than Buttigieg and Bloomberg, they were hot trash too). Unfortunately, older Black voters and the CBC swept Biden into victory for whatever reasons, and that just is what it is and we have to live with it. But as little faith as I have in Biden, what you're seeing from Trump is a completely different level. There's just no fukking way Biden would be pulling the shyt that Trump is pulling right now.
Notice that poster never says anything negative about Trump and it's a reason why :sas2: