Trump is about to ban TikTok in the US

Daps
true, good point

i dont think the court would rule in their favor. there are countless other platforms to express oneself...they found ways to express themselves before tiktok and can record dumb videos of themselves and upload them elsewhere. id imagine it would get tossed pretty quickly

Eh, First Amendment Law is a pretty exacting standard. A whole sale speech ban needs have a compelling government interest, be narrowly tailored, and use the least restrictive means. I don’t think Trump’s EO will be any of those things.

there are a few other issues too. The court would have to decide if this is an expression or just use of tech. Assuming use of tech, they might be able to squeeze it in under a national security exception.

but I still think the biggest issue is that I don’t think Trump has the power for a full scale ban like this. Looking at Article 2, I don’t see anything that plausibly stretches this far.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
Eh, First Amendment Law is a pretty exacting standard. A whole sale speech ban needs have a compelling government interest, be narrowly tailored, and use the least restrictive means. I don’t think Trump’s EO will be any of those things.

there are a few other issues too. The court would have to decide if this is an expression or just use of tech. Assuming use of tech, they might be able to squeeze it in under a national security exception.

but I still think the biggest issue is that I don’t think Trump has the power for a full scale ban like this. Looking at Article 2, I don’t see anything that plausibly stretches this far.

You a lawyer?

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds

i think the bolded is plausible and was where my head was at

i agree with the italicized. i find it hard to see where he has the authority to do so and it would be a very slippery slope. surely there can be another way..like a massive public service announcement campaign detailing the risks of TikTok to the general populace or something

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
A constitutional lawyer and ex president as well? :ohhh:

Also...do you think the Trump admin would have a better argument if they listed multiple apps with similar security issues? I think that if it's only TikTok the court may ask why they are singling out TikTok with countless other apps employing dubious security/privacy measures

bnew

Veteran
Daps
need to ban all this social media shyt like twitter, instagram, anything that gives whores and dumbasses a platform

if thats all you see, thats on you. :ufdup:

social media has made police brutality videos go viral, it has highlighted, shamed and gotten people punished for being racist. it allows people to publicly call out big business in a way that we've never been able to do before or just get regular support from them when traditional means of communications have failed. major state/city departments and non-profit organizations also distribute pertinent info to the masses via social media which has a wider audience than going to a myriad of individual websites.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Microsoft is in talks to buy tik Tok so it might not be going anywhere

I strongly suspect it was the U.S government who directed microsoft to purchase skype. Skype was a huge problem for law enforcement and intelligence agencies across the world because the communication was decentralized between servers and users meaning they couldn't eavesdrop on peoples chats. As soon a microsoft bought skype they centralized all communication and it was effectively backdoored. No more complaints about Skype by any law enforcement or governments attempting to block it's usage.

Last edited:

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
I strongly suspect it was the U.S government who directed mircosoft to purchase skype. Skype was a huge problem for law enforcement and intelligence agencies across the world because the communication was decentralized between servers and users meaning they couldn't eavesdrop on peoples chats. As soon a microsoft bought skype they centralized all communication and it was effectively backdoored. No more complaints about Skype by any law enforcement or governments attempting to block it's usage.

The Snowden leaks let us know that all of these tech companies work with the government and the nsa is spying on us no matter what.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Trump may actually be right here. China has proven that thry simply can’t be trusted. They are not an aly. Let an American company do their own version of Tik tok which is what will happen.
china was never trustworthy, it's just the western world was foolish enough over the past 50 years to partner with china using their cheap labour as if nothing's gonna happen. China is mainly an exporting country, so time to move the factories out to other places like India.

Daps
Also...do you think the Trump admin would have a better argument if they listed multiple apps with similar security issues? I think that if it's only TikTok the court may ask why they are singling out TikTok with countless other apps employing dubious security/privacy measures

that’s the smarter move. Or to at least list out why Tik Tok is being singled out as compared to the other similar apps. And then draw the direct line to national security issues.

A look at the DACA case shows how this probably gonna go. Trump can theoretically do this, but he’s going to rush it and not follow the proper procedures and get it kicked on procedural grounds before the court even gets to the merits.

NeoSeeker

GOAT human
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
nikkas in here sounding really :flabbynsick: on some “GOOD! Ban these flab nabbit social media sites these damn kids always on!”
Just say you feel old and left out and go :heh:

That's the impression I get too. At 32, I'm too old for TikTok but I'm not going to act like it shouldn't exist because I personally don't use it. That's just silly, and would make me sound hella old and out of touch.

There was nothing Myspace did other apps don't do better. You really want to go back to a time when your computer froze every time you went on someone's Myspace page because they packed it with so much crap?

Some of you are acting like snobby old farts.

Last edited: