True or False: The Thing(1982) is better than Alien(1979)

True or False: The Thing(1982) is better than Alien(1979)

• Total voters

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
I saw alien 1979 last time for its 30th anniversary in 2009. Its a great movie. Very slow steady buildup, fantastic cast, and just an amazing atmosphere. The Xenomorph introduction waa truly groundbreaking. Now I prefer Aliens as my overall favorite alien film as I prefer Camerons approach which was more of my style. Sigourney Weaver is my favorite actress of all time.

Now why I prefer the thing over any horror or scifi film. Its the PARANOIA factor tenfold. That shyt fukked with me for awhile. Like as iconic as the xenomorph is. Having a unknown entity taking over your body and then mimic you to cause harm for its own survival was just.... :damn:

id rather be eaten by jaws or get my skull pushed by a xenomorph tongue than deal that atrocity. fukk no! :sadcam:

But the thing did borrow alot from alien which laid the groundwork.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I saw alien 1979 last time for its 30th anniversary in 2009. Its a great movie. Very slow steady buildup, fantastic cast, and just an amazing atmosphere. The Xenomorph introduction waa truly groundbreaking. Now I prefer Aliens as my overall favorite alien film as I prefer Camerons approach which was more of my style. Sigourney Weaver is my favorite actress of all time.

Now why I prefer the thing over any horror or scifi film. Its the PARANOIA factor tenfold. That shyt fukked with me for awhile. Like as iconic as the xenomorph is. Having a unknown entity taking over your body and then mimic you to cause harm for its own survival was just.... :damn:

id rather be eaten by jaws or get my skull pushed by a xenomorph tongue than deal that atrocity. fukk no! :sadcam:

The scariest thing about the Thing is that it is an extinction level event since it can break off pieces of itself to replicate it can potentially infect the whole world.

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug: how is the directors previous work?

So far so good with his other projects. This shytty part is how much Ridley disliked Bladerunner 2049 and how he made Prometheus/Alien Covenant. I’m reading that he’s producing this upcoming Alien movie, maybe that’s why he’s praising it.

My soul can’t take another bad Alien movie.
:damn:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
So far so good with his other projects. This shytty part is how much Ridley disliked Bladerunner 2049 and how he made Prometheus/Alien Covenant. I’m reading that he’s producing this upcoming Alien movie, maybe that’s why he’s praising it.

My soul can’t take another bad Alien movie.
:damn:
I didn't even bother to watch Alien: Covenant...was it bad??

:lupe:

Superstar
Daps
I didn't even bother to watch Alien: Covenant...was it bad??

:lupe:

:huhldup:
“It had a spark when started, but by halfway through, it was just garbage/ went from top ten to not mentioned at all, til predator dropped a flick on Hulu better than yours…”

-What I wanted to say to Ripley After seeing it

It had flashes of greatness, but it refused to flesh anything out. It’s like he just kept trying to introduce plots and devices, ran out of runway, and had to introduce some other new plot or device because he couldn’t figure out how to make it work. It was the same mess that Prometheus was.

Last edited:

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

You would legit be so paranoid you would start questioning if you were yourself or a replicant. People would lose their shyt immediately.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
It was probably insane to walk into a movie theater not knowing what to expect when Alien first dropped. That movie takes 50+ minutes to get to the famous chest bursting scene. I wish I could see how audiences reacted...same for the blood test and defibrillator scenes in the Thing.

Either way, I voted the Thing, but it's close. They're both classics. Instead of picking one, just make it a double-feature.
Let me tell you first hand I saw The Thing at the movie theatre when it originally released, yes showing my age. I was around 14/15. I also saw an American werewolf in london too.
Back then for a teenager or kid Sleep was the cousin of Death!

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
The lowest of the low:dead:

:mjlol:
He may feel how I feel. The sheer waste of an awesome premise made it so much more of a disappointment.

Like anytime a cool idea started to gain some momentum Ridley would be like:

reservoir-dogs-quentin-tarantino.gif

The characters just seemed to steadily lose any and all intelligence as the movie went on, they kept trying to squeeze in more alien variations instead of using the potential of the ones already shown, and when an opportunity came to do something great, he opted to do something predictable that made the characters even worse.

Sometimes he would choose to try and force a predictable twist for no reason.

It was like giving someone, who suffered from debilitating ADHD, the script form the OG “Alien” and telling them to “go for it”.

Last edited: