True or False: The Thing(1982) is better than Alien(1979)

True or False: The Thing(1982) is better than Alien(1979)

• Total voters

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
True, no question. I can't even remember "Alien". Then again I may have a nostalgia for "The Thing", because my oldest brother use to bring this movie home with his beta player (which weighed a ton), every Christmas and Spring Break from med-school. He would stay with me and my other brother, when we shared an apartment. The beta player was predicted to out perform the VCR, but didn't. I guess they thought this because the beta tapes were a little smaller. My brother would also bring a few other movies, including two or three XXX movies. This was the first time we were ever able to see an XXX movie on a tv.

Anyway, this technology was like something from the "Jetsons" during that time. I guess "The Thing" kinda reminded me of the Holiday Season too, as well as spring time, since these were the only times of the year we could see it, since me nor my brother could afford our own beta player, which was very expensive back then. I could hardly afford my half of the rent, with my minimum wage.

With all said, "The Thing" was still a classic. We had never seen anything like it. It was also our first time seeing Keith David. My older brother would also bring home "Ghost Story", another classic. That ghost had a nice a**. Speaking of that, there were a lot more nude scenes in the 80's. If anybody can remember cable during that time, you probably noticed.

Last edited:

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
Yea I knew you'd enjoy it haha
I wish y’all could have seen my face. It’s the beginning and I am realizing it’s not set in a swamp. I was :gucci: I knew I had not seen Swamp Thing in forever but I knew the general plot and I knew for damn sure he was not in the artic. I also knew that movie came out in 82.

After I quick google search I was

giphy.gif

Well sonovabish… i missed a gem in the 80’s. I could tell fairly quickly that this was a quality movie and settled in with no preconceptions other than what I read in this thread.

It was actually refreshing and allowed me to really pay attention and notice details. My grown ass jumped like a bish when the doc was doing chest compressions on the dude and his stomach opened up and chomped off his wrists. I work from home and was watching it on my ipad with my AirPods in while I worked. I must have let out a squeak because I caught my girl looking at me like :dame:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I wish y’all could have seen my face. It’s the beginning and I am realizing it’s not set in a swamp. I was :gucci: I knew I had not seen Swamp Thing in forever but I knew the general plot and I knew for damn sure he was not in the artic. I also knew that movie came out in 82.

After I quick google search I was

giphy.gif

Well sonovabish… i missed a gem in the 80’s. I could tell fairly quickly that this was a quality movie and settled in with no preconceptions other than what I read in this thread.

It was actually refreshing and allowed me to really pay attention and notice details. My grown ass jumped like a bish when the doc was doing chest compressions on the dude and his stomach opened up and chomped off his wrists. I work from home and was watching it on my ipad with my AirPods in while I worked. I must have let out a squeak because I caught my girl looking at me like :dame:
:russ:

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
@General Mills I watched Swamp Thing a few months back and it was tough for me to get through. I used to love that movie as a kid.

Have you watched Escape From New York?
I am going to rewatch Swamp Thing and see how I feel about it. When I was a kid I loved that movie. I know how things look differently as we grow up

Case in point…. As a kid me and my little brother were HUGE fans of the Disney flop The Black Hole. We had the sheets, toys, had it on vhs and beta. Etc.

I watched it last year for the first time since I was a kid and was :what: It was some obvious horseshyt

Escape from NY is a popcorn eating favorite of mine. Snake is a motherfukker :russ:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
To be brief and to the point, there were a couple things I noticed when watching both films yesterday. I can’t really say one is better than they other as much as I can point out differences between them that might sway judgement.

Anyways.

One of the things I noticed was The Thing’s usage of music versus Alien’s lack of. While lack of suspense sounds made Alien move slower initially, it seemed that The Thing usage of music drove the story faster than Alien.

Alien’s budget was definitely higher and is reflected in the quality of the sets and scenes even though Carpenter’s film is excellent with little need to create an alternate futuristic environment.

Acting wise, it’s a draw imho.

The Thing comes in a pretty much is giving the viewer some form of action/conflict from the start and no real downtime. Me believes this makes it a more action thriller suspense than Alien

Alien’s pacing is more suspense, thriller, horror film than it’s action oriented.

Other notes include…Ripley has no ass at all. :pachaha:

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It was probably insane to walk into a movie theater not knowing what to expect when Alien first dropped. That movie takes 50+ minutes to get to the famous chest bursting scene. I wish I could see how audiences reacted...same for the blood test and defibrillator scenes in the Thing.

Either way, I voted the Thing, but it's close. They're both classics. Instead of picking one, just make it a double-feature.

Superstar
Daps
To be brief and to the point, there were a couple things I noticed when watching both films yesterday. I can’t really say one is better than they other as much as I can point out differences between them that might sway judgement.

Anyways.

One of the things I noticed was The Thing’s usage of music versus Alien’s lack of. While lack of suspense sounds made Alien move slower initially, it seemed that The Thing usage of music drove the story faster than Alien.

Alien’s budget was definitely higher and is reflected in the quality of the sets and scenes even though Carpenter’s film is excellent with little need to create an alternate futuristic environment.

The Thing comes in a pretty much is giving the viewer some form of action/conflict from the start and no real downtime. Me believes this makes it a more action thriller suspense than Alien

Alien’s pacing is more suspense, thriller, horror film than it’s action oriented.

It took me forever to realize Sigourney Weaver was so tall (for a woman).

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)

Anyways.

All that build up to say Ripley is assless:dead:

Superstar
Daps
On another note, how is everybody feeling about “Alien: Romulus”? I know it’s under wraps but I’m kind of nervous about Ridley Scott giving it praise after being given a personal viewing.
:lupe: