True or False: The Thing(1982) is better than Alien(1979)

True or False: The Thing(1982) is better than Alien(1979)

• Total voters

Superstar
Daps
Let me to you first hand I saw The Thing at the movie theatre when it originally released, yes showing my age. I was around 14/15. I also saw an American werewolf in london too.
Back then for a teenager or kid Sleep was the cousin of Death!

My mom made us sit down and watch it anytime it came on TV, since I was like 5-6. It’s always been one of my favorite movies. Great story telling, and visuals

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
:yeshrug: how is the directors previous work?

It's by Fede Alvarez, who has some gems in his catalog. He made the Evil Dead 2000's remake which is one of the best horror remakes from that era, and he's the director of the Don't Breath movies (the first one is great, the second one is alright but a weird change for the blind guy).

But Fede is coming off the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Netflix movie that REALLY sucked and didn't seem like it got the appeal of the TCM franchise.

On a side note though, Fede said he showed his director's cut of Alien: Romulus to Ridley Scott, and that Ridley Scott called it "fukking awesome!" Since Ridley Scott is a tough critic, Alvarez said it was a big moment of pride.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Let me to you first hand I saw The Thing at the movie theatre when it originally released, yes showing my age. I was around 14/15. I also saw an American werewolf in london too.

That's really dope! Two of the GOAT horror movies in theaters is amazing. I've probably got three or four posts in the horror thread going into my favorite theater experiences with horror movies (the OG Paranormal Activity and Sinister come to mind right away). I also went to see the Exorcist in theaters when they upscaled it and added in extra scenes, which was dope.

There's nothing better than seeing a great horror movie with a good audience. I can only imagine how fun the Thing musta been.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps

You saw The Thing in theaters in 1982 when you were 14/15? :gladbron: Got damn, nikka

42d253eb-fc3c-429d-9126-c6f37d1c617e_text.gif

...For this website... Not for the Earth :russ:

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
I guess but I'm feeling the atmosphere and cinematography in Alien more.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
To be brief and to the point, there were a couple things I noticed when watching both films yesterday. I can’t really say one is better than they other as much as I can point out differences between them that might sway judgement.

Anyways.

One of the things I noticed was The Thing’s usage of music versus Alien’s lack of. While lack of suspense sounds made Alien move slower initially, it seemed that The Thing usage of music drove the story faster than Alien.

Alien’s budget was definitely higher and is reflected in the quality of the sets and scenes even though Carpenter’s film is excellent with little need to create an alternate futuristic environment.

Acting wise, it’s a draw imho.

The Thing comes in a pretty much is giving the viewer some form of action/conflict from the start and no real downtime. Me believes this makes it a more action thriller suspense than Alien

Alien’s pacing is more suspense, thriller, horror film than it’s action oriented.

Other notes include…Ripley has no ass at all. :pachaha:
I can't believe I missed this point. The god Ennio Morricone completely laced this movie with that soundtrack and score. Just dread and isolation in musical form.
RIP one of the greats.
:mjcry:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I can't believe I missed this point. The god Ennio Morricone completely laced this movie with that soundtrack and score. Just dread and isolation in musical form.
RIP one of the greats.
:mjcry:
coming from a live performance music background, i've been working on film scoring, or focusing a lot on it over the past 4-5 years so it's something i automatically think about now more than ever. especially when it comes to classics