lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just watched it and it was good......if true detective S 1 taught me anything, it was to just enjoy the show for what it is, and not what you want it to be:yeshrug:

exactly...but this is the internet: the place were the majority of people criticize everything and swear they can make the perfect product...

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
I really don't get these guys :snoop:

One ep just introducing and setting the back story let it live and see how it grows :mindblown:
Episode is a mess, though. Don't think that can really be argued. The funny thing is the pacing of the first season had a lot of people on this forum complaining about it being too slow until episode 4 because they kept the background of the characters ambiguous and really took time to reveal how fukked up they are.

In this episode they pretty much beat you over the head for 50 mins shouting "HEY LOOK, THEY'RE ALL HOT MESSES,' leaving the actual plot very thin (and only actually moved through Vaughn's storyline). Really until the very end gave me hope that we're moving beyond lightspeed exposition I was really disappointed. They spent more time with all the characters totally zany issues rather than focusing on the weirdness of the case, so this first ep really doesn't have any of the mysticism or allure that last seasons first ep had. Other than the brief scene in the dudes house it just didn't have any of the spirit for the first season.

But, again, it looks like they could have got all of that out of the way and we can settle down into some shyt now.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
ySAcdmm.png

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good episode.

At the beginning of the episode, I suspected that Frank (Vince) had something to do with Ray (Colin)'s wife being beaten and raped, like maybe he had one of his men do it so that he could "get" the perpetrator (possibly framing someone he wanted to get rid of anyway) and hence have Ray in his debt.

Was the missing girl that Ani was looking for the same girl who is sleeping with Paul? I didn't get a very good look at the picture that her sister showed Ani so I really only saw the dark curly hair.

Vince Vaughn is horrible, I don't buy his character and his one facial expression. he's miscasted this role. I didn't take him seriously; Over the years, his characterizations seem to be all douchebag, all the time. So I really have to work at thinking of him as something deeper than a generic dikk...again...I'll give him a chance so I can't judge for him for one episode so I'll wait until I watch more episodes tuni I can say I was "right" about Vince.

I don't think I have ever seen Rachel McAdams so gritty, and miserable. She's not bad.

Colin is nailed this character.

That said, I am most curious about Taylor Kitsch and his work.....I'll wait to see how this going.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
I noticed and haven't seen any of you mention it on here, but in McAdams apartment on her table she has a book called, "
Hagakure: Book of the Samurai." I doubt many people know about this book unless they've seen "Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai", but the book is pretty much the code of being a Samurai dating back to the 1700's. They believed in many ideals similar to boy scouts and the military; values such as self-mastery, honor, respect, loyalty, and courage. Some of the short stories are about how these warriors are ready to die at anytime. They have to be ready to die in battle, or commit suicide.

I certainly don't know what this means, but I'm curious to see how this all ties in to the season.

I also found this while searching True Detective and Hagakure on Google.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/22/western-book-dead-true-detective
Interesting read on what this season might be about. No spoilers in here.

True Detective
Posted June 22 2015 — 4:15 PM EDT

True Detective is so laden with literary references that the burden of explaining them is probably better suited to a college thesis. But that won’t stop us from attempting to do so. While season 1’s foggy bayou took inspiration from supernatural gothic horror, season 2 takes a more mystical, spiritual route—not to mention a distinctly pessimistic one.

Season 2’s first epiosde takes its title from an actual book, The Western Book of the Dead. One version was written by a man named Alfred Schmielewski, who went by the name “Yogi A.S. Narayana.” Narayana was a mid-20th century mystic and alleged psychic, who predicted his own immortality—and was reportedly killed in a mysterious and fortuitous murder that remains unsolved. (Confirmed information on Narayana is difficult to come by, but we’re working under the assumption that writer Nic Pizzolatto might take even a fictional story as inspiration.)

Here, you’ll find more explanation than you need to unpack “The Western Book of the Dead,” True Detective’s first episode of season 2, and how the book by the same name may give us hints about the rest of the season. (Note: This post was written having watched episodes 1-3, but we’ve steered clear of major spoilers.)

On reincarnation and immortality: “Aging may emerge as a preventable disease”

The Western Book of the Dead proclaims itself to be “not a Book of the Dead, but a Book of Immortality.” It alleges that a Yogi, or enlightened person, can “leave his physical frame when and where he pleases.” Here are a few salient quotes to help understand the meat of this book:

• “Where the common people suffer the agony of dying, the Yogi leaves his body before it starts to die. This is why the Yogi never dies. “
  • “The common people die because they are still inside the body, or connected with the body, when the body goes through the process of its dissolution.”
  • “The physical body does not die in the first place. Its various elements simply disintegrate. They do not ever disappear, or become nothing. Sometime after dissolution, the forces of Ix nature reassemble the elements, and they become something else.”
  • “Science today speculates that the human body could be an immortal biological unit, given that efficient waste elimination was possible…. In centuries to come, aging may emerge as a preventable disease, which can be controlled or even eliminated by science and yoga.”
In True Detective, Antigone’s (Rachel McAdams) father owns some sort of yoga/ spiritual center, the Panticapaeum Institute, creating a clear line between her character and the book’s themes. Keep these ideas in mind when listening to him teach.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I really thought people went off the deep end with the mythology and symbolism last season, and in the end the killer was a fukking groundskeeper with overalls....Not mad at the research though, and this isn't at you... I just could only take so much obsession with the yellow king and Carcosa last year....It'd be hilarious to read the crazy shyt some of our own were ranting about in the season 1 thread....

Last edited:

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
That lil boy is a vagina and a half. And his step pops is a hoe too.

"They cut up his shoes. That's it".

"That's it" :dahell:

Step pops woulda got that work right along with Mr. Conroy.

Kitsch-Dawg need to bring it. I always catch myself giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he wack in this I'm gone have to cut him loose.

For the most part I thought everyone was good tho.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Didn't even realize this premiered until I hit up Twitter :dead:

Will peep later tonight, though from what I hear it wasn't a very good premiere.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I thought it was decent.. although they could have built up the characters flaws over a few eps.
Gotta go in to this not expecting another TD season1, let it be it's own thing.

Oh yeah...
Rachel Mcadam cakes

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
Didn't even realize this premiered until I hit up Twitter :dead:

Will peep later tonight, though from what I hear it wasn't a very good premiere.
Why don't you watch it and make up your own mind and not be a follower of what people say online.