Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'll refrain from giving a full critique of this season until after the last episode but
the music during the orgy/undercover scene was atrocious to me. :scusthov:

I'm shocked at the praise I'm seeing online and here for it.

It took me totally out of it because I've heard that same type of music in 80's B-level thriller/horror TV shows/movies.

Daps
jG5bwX3.jpg

Is Paul's mom really a 'Caitlyn'? :mjpls:

Daps

Or it could be in similar vein to this visual cue (foreshadowing what's to come/what's happend) -

LhvxyQR.jpg

Because the subsequent dialogue conflicts with that, since despite the allusion to her [Cynthia] not acknowledging herself as his mother to the letter - "don't start that ma shyt, it's too late for all that now", we do find out that she 'carried him for nine months' and what she would do if she were a man. As Ray temporarily meets his fate, we do see Paul looking down from his room seeing two guys in angel wing costumes (similar to his mom's portrait, her past as a dancer) and a young boy getting out of a car (perhaps his former self).

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Maybe my favorite episode this season. I was late watching it. Everything from the shootout on has been more enjoyable for me.

I thought the knife foreshadowing was really obvious, like so much this season. She stabbed the board before the big mission, her sister told her she wouldn't be able to carry the knife, and she lifted a knife from a guy during the mission and the camera stayed on it. But the way she shivved that guy and waited for him to collapse as he held her up by the neck was dope.

This was one of the first episodes where it sort of felt like it told an entire story arc from beginning to end. That's what I liked most about it. It also tied up some loose ends while opening up other questions. How will the molestation revelation affect Antigone? I didn't mind the tameness of the orgy. We see so much sex these days that it probably just seemed tame in comparison.

I liked the stuff with Ray. he really shined in this episode. I thought the scene with him and Frank and I thought it was one of the best of the season. Sames with the scene with Ray and his bender/phone call to his ex-wife was also well done. Same as the part with is son eating the pizza.

I'm excited for the last 2. This may have been my favorite episode so far. A lot of the dialogue is still clunky to me, "That's what makes you not get into heaven" but I'm used to it by now.

DLeap

Coli TV/Film Expert
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
:beli:

Thats lame as fukk breh

Nothing in this thread is out of hand. Not even the trolling, its all pretty minimal and harmless

Its just a few butthurt dudes complaining that can't stand seeing this show criticized because they like it. They need to get over it.

Regarding the comments I've read about the show itself in this thread, I agree with this. I loved the first season of TD, but this new season is a mess. I keep watching the trainwreck just to say I finished it and its vindicating to come here and read that other ppl think the same.

When I see positive comments abt the show, I just keep scrolling, don't get argumentative. Can't see why the ppl who like this season can't just do the same just because they're superfans. This is a public forum, not a True Detective Fan Club.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

Bone Bender

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man...this season has been largely a disappointment. And thats on its own merits. Compared to the first season, its really crappy.

The only highlight for me is the Velcoro character. His story has real emotional weight and I actually care about what happens to him. The other two lead detectives' stories arent very engaging and in the case of Paul, just seems so unnecessary because its not going anywhere. Hes probably gay and now hes going to get married to a woman who's pregnant with his kid. Who cares? How does it affect anything?

The murder case is kind of a clusterfukk. A lot of threads with Caspere and the whole corruption stuff but it was so poorly presented that I have trouble really caring.

Ill finish the season, but Im hoping they do a much better job on the next season.

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
Yeah gotta chalk this up to a bad season at this point. I thought this episode was going to be some crazy shyt like the chick detective doing a gang bang. She was talking that shyt about sex in the previous episode. All we find out is she got molested as a child. Wow that's original.

Vaughn is terrible but the plot stinks also. Third season needs to have better stars and a better writer.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Yeah gotta chalk this up to a bad season at this point. I thought this episode was going to be some crazy shyt like the chick detective doing a gang bang. She was talking that shyt about sex in the previous episode. All we find out is she got molested as a child. Wow that's original.

Vaughn is terrible but the plot stinks also. Third season needs to have better stars and a better writer.
They need to bring back Cary Fukunaga while they're at it. :blessed: