Veteran
Supporter
Daps
XlWg.gif

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so if it’s been the case for the last 10 years then why is it a “new” problem?

again this feels like a forced talking point on their part

I don’t recall any serious complaints/discussion of the X1S holding the X1X or the PS4 holding back the pro
I think the main difference is X1/PS4 were the base consoles and X1X/Pro came out later to improve the base consoles. This time two "strong" consoles come out and a gimped version is out alongside it.

I'll try to do a @winb83 analogy on this :pachaha: :
Think of it like a weight lifting competition where there's a team of three that has to bench a certain weight x number of reps.

If two of the three dudes are strong enough to bench at least 135lbs but one is only strong enough to bench 90~100lbs, he can hold the team back. At first(beginning of gen), they're only lifting 40lbs, 50lbs so it's nothing but once they get to the heavier weights now the one that can only bench 90lbs gonna hold the team back. The competition will have to cater to the weaker one and not really let the rest of the guys bench 135 or higher. They'll have to cap it at like 100.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
isn’t there a thread on this topic already?

and why doesn’t this “problem” exist now?

is the X1S holding games back on the X1X or the PS4 holding games back on the pro?

idk...hard to argue with devs but it seems like they are just forcing a talking point

You get the difference between a mid gen refresh and holding back next gen at launch...don't you? :usure:

Last edited:
Daps
I think the main difference is X1/PS4 were the base consoles and X1X/Pro came out later to improve the base consoles. This time two "strong" consoles come out and a gimped version is out alongside it.

Think of it like a weight lifting competition where there's a team of three that has to bench a certain weight. If two of the three dudes are strong enough to bench at least 135lbs but one is only strong enough to bench 90lbs, he can hold the team back. At first(beginning of gen), they're only lifting 40lbs, 50lbs so it's nothing but once they get to the heavier weights now the one that can only bench 90lbs gonna hold the team back.
Not only that, I'm not confident in MS's cross platform development abilities
Infinite was a disgrace yet they had the audacity to showcase that as their flagship showcase title for the system
As a consumer I found that showcasing disrespectful because someone must have had enough sense to realize it looked like dog shyt but they thought we are so stupid as consumers we wouldn't care because "omg Halo"
I was genuinely excited to see how it would look and to see the Series X's power and that demo by itself almost killed my hype for the system
The Series S is obviously not the One X but still...
You have valid developers expressing their concerns and it makes you wonder how the Series S will affect Series X and multiplatform game development going forward
Will some developers eventually get fed up having to account for the Series S?
What will be their response?

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You get the difference a mid gen refresh and holding back next gen at launch...don't you? :usure:

I get that some of you are being insincere and trolling and acting like it will be a “problem” for MS when it’s currently the norm for both companies :skip:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not only that, I'm not confident is MS's cross platform development abilities
Infinite was a disgrace yet they had the audacity to showcase that as their flagship showcase title for the system
As a consumer I found that showcasing disrespectful because someone must have had enough sense to realize it looked like dog shyt but they thought we are so stupid as consumers we wouldn't care because "omg Halo"
I was genuinely excited to see how it would look and to see the Series X's power and that demo by itself almost killed my hype for the system
The Series S is obviously not the One X but still...
You have valid developers expressing their concerns and it makes you wonder how the Series S will affect Series X and multiplatform game development going forward
Will some developers eventually get fed up having to account for the Series S?
What will be their response?

I’ll admit I can foresee it being a potential problem for some MS exclusives if the way they handled halo is any indication and they are looking to develop next gen games for current gen as well...I don’t see it being a problem tho for third party games

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Difference here is that's console to PC
That's been a common practice for a while
He is talking about console multiplatform development in general
MS invested in all this technology in the Series X with the GPU, CPU, and SSD solution only for it to be held back by the Xbox One X and Series S
Even after they abandon the One X, the Series S will still be prioritized
Meaning a lot of the Series X's power will not be utilized because games will not be made with the Series X's architecture in mind
They will develop for the Series S in mind
Sony and MS invested in the SSD storage solution to enhance console development by addressing many of the storage/memory issues developers have been complaining to Sony and MS about for a while

Think of it like a weight lifting competition where there's a team of three that has to bench a certain weight x number of reps.

If two of the three dudes are strong enough to bench at least 135lbs but one is only strong enough to bench 90~100lbs, he can hold the team back. At first(beginning of gen), they're only lifting 40lbs, 50lbs so it's nothing but once they get to the heavier weights now the one that can only bench 90lbs gonna hold the team back. The competition will have to cater to the weaker one and not really let the rest of the guys bench 135 or higher. They'll have to cap it at like 100.

I understand what the perceived “problem” is but I think ppl are making more of it than they should when things are currently the same way...mid-gen refresh...out the gate...whatever...it’s still the same conditions

Daps
I understand what the perceived “problem” is but I think ppl are making more of it than they should when things are currently the same way...mid-gen refresh...out the gate...whatever...it’s still the same conditions
Last Gen:
Two consoles released and the devs worked with confirmed specs
A mid gen refresh occurred but devs don't have to worry because they are just mid gen refresh upgrades
Develop for the base consoles you have already mastered and scale up for the mid gen refresh consoles

Next Gen:
Two consoles will release and the devs are working with confirmed specs that they have begged for that are important for console development and they finally did it
But one console has an inferior spec console that they will have to account for for the rest of the generation
Meaning when they develop a game, they might not be able to utilize the superior memory SSD solutions because of the gimped console

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
the "bottleneck" is money. obviously we could have some vastly different games if everyone owned a supercomputer. but that's not realistic

the people with money to fund these games want to chase the mass market. they don't want to fund the next Crysis, they want to fund the next Fortnite. and a big part of Fortnite's success is because it can run on a toaster

all these consoles have to make compromises, including being sold at a loss, to be affordable

Daps
then we’ll have to see
this guy is lead engine developer on Doom Eternal

mHYhCvh.jpg

:yeshrug:
maybe it won't be that big of a deal
but I have a feeling we are going to see a difference w/ PS5 exclusives that will take complete advantage of the architecture :yeshrug:
MS has to restore my confidence in their cross platform development abilities after that Infinite showing :hhh: