Trailer for “The American Society Of Magical Negroes” dropped!

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
if yall not feeling this dont forget about american fiction dropping this month. i made a thread on it cause the premise seems pretty good actually

In the satirical film American Fiction, a frustrated writer named Thelonious "Monk" Ellison (played by Jeffrey Wright) can't get his latest book published because editors say it's not "Black" enough. Monk's editors want clichéd stories about Black life — something screenwriter and director Cord Jefferson says he experienced first-hand as a writer in Hollywood.

"People would call me and they would say, 'Do you want to write this TV show about a Black teenager murdered by the police? Do you want to write about this movie about a slave? Do you want to write this movie about crack dealers?' " Jefferson says. "It just felt like, there's still just such a hugely limited perspective as to what Black life looks like."

The film, which has been nominated for a Golden Globe for best comedy, follows along as Monk writes the kind of "Black" book the publishers want, using every tired and offensive trope he can think of. He submits the manuscript under a pseudonym, and, to his surprise, is offered a $1 million book deal.

Jefferson says that using satire to tackle racism was both fun and cathartic: "You're talking about these serious issues, but you're talking about them in a way that makes you laugh ... [and] makes other people laugh," he says. "I think that there's a power in that that other kinds of art don't have."

Remy LeBreh

Linconia
Daps
Reppin
CLB/CLE/ALB
I can't tell if they're going to really play the romance angle straight, or get subversive :patrice:
This movie seems to be exactly what they're mocking, is this genius or c00nery?

Daps
If it was more focused on actual white supremacy tropes and magic negroes in movies it would have been better. The fact it’s a romantic comedy was done to make CACs comfortable.
That's the whole point :sas2:

It's a trope inside of a trope. Anyone else, I'd side eye but David Alan Grier knows white folks will love it and not get the irony of WHY they love it.

Just attacking white people would get this movie 86-ed from the start. He's essentially being "The Magical Negro" on purpose to get them to be comfortable with the movie.

Now....I do find it interesting that the main character is a light skinned/mixed breh. Knowing that there may be some love story with him and the white girl.....it's almost like they didn't want the visual of the darker skinned unequivocally Black man romancing the white broad.

But.......if you think back......in Birth of a Nation (the old 1915 version), the white supremacists narrative was that mixed Black men were the biggest threat to America. Dark brehs were more innocent/childish while light brite men would wanna smash and rape all the white women, act bougie and take over everything. Not sure if that's an angle he is playing but I wouldn't put it past DAG because he's sharp.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Whoever edited the trailer really spoiled whatever this is supposed to be. I’m trying to figure out who would want to watch after seeing it. I’m sure people will watch but how many?

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I run a movie internal site at our job.....has about 100 members...im not posting this c00ning shyt