Trade 3 Firsts and a 3rd for a 4th Brehs - Official 2023 San Francisco 49ers Season Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Biggest complaint I got about them is they make everything more difficult than it got to be

Just like Bosa. You know what it's gonna take so pay him and get him in.

Or, fanbase would've had a meltdown, but they could have traded him for an insane return before the draft. Now you got no real leverage but you still playing games

How is Bosa not signed yet? Pay him. Should have been so gotdamn simple.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
yall should chill

I think @Eric Brooks is talking about Jimmy vs Brock moreso and youre talking Trey vs Brock

I think all of us can agree that Brock is vastly superior to Jimmy the vet just off one rookie year ? To me that's a no brainer. Kyle was scared of Jimmy fukking up we never attempted to do 2 minute drills, Kyle would dial up hell conservative shyt.

Kyle trusts Brock more than he trusted any QB here . They had 1 drive with against the Hags in the playoffs with 55 seconds on the clock, one timeout at their own 23 and got a FG out of it. Theres no way in hell they'd get that out of Jimmy.

And they had 1 drive after Dak pick against the cowgirls, 1:15 left and two timeouts left, and they got a FG out of it.

Both had Brock making intermediate throws in a situation where the defense knew they had to prevent a long pass, and they still couldn't do so.

So, when absolutely needed, Brock was able to put air on the ball in obvious passing situations.

I will agree with @Eric Brooks that the notion of a NFL head coach hand picking a QB, trading three first rounders for him in the process, and then deciding he ( the coach) is a racist or having some personal dislike for the QB, then deliberately tanks the team so he can always be ridiculed for the trade, is pretty shaky, my dude. We all know Kyles ego is sky high and this trade is forever a blemish on his resume.

Whats more likely to me, is what @King Kreole said. Kyle really thought Trey could come in and do exactly everything Jimmy was able to do AND have a big arm and ALSO be able to run read options like Cam Newton. The reality is he wasn't able to develop Trey to that point. Thats on him and the coaching staff. And he even said as much, he let Trey down.

Butting in here. I don't think Kyle is a racist but black QBs have much shorter lives in the NFL and there is certainly a racial component here that works against them that no one likes to talk about. If Darnold was black, he'd be out of the league by now. There is 0 margin for error with black QBs while white QBs get all the opportunities to learn, fail, learn, fail again and get another opportunity. I will argue that to the death. Look at Baker..dude has a 3rd opportunity to start.

Kyle is just not a good evaluator of the QB position. Whiffed completely on Trey then got frustrated and fell out of love with him. Same shyt with Jimmy. The only player Kyle loves unconditionally is Cousins and maybe Purdy ends up being that guy.

But the guy you're agreeing with (different subject) thinks Darnold outplayed Trey and he was never handpicked to be QB2. I twas decided recently. That is bullshyt.

Purdy has been good for the most part but I don't think the evaluation is fair at all since Trey has never gotten a chance with such a stacked offense. We'll never know now.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Butting in here. I don't think Kyle is a racist but black QBs have much shorter lives in the NFL and there is certainly a racial component here that works against them that no one likes to talk about. If Darnold was black, he'd be out of the league by now. There is 0 margin for error with black QBs while white QBs get all the opportunities to learn, fail, learn, fail again and get another opportunity. I will argue that to the death. Look at Baker..dude has a 3rd opportunity to start.

Kyle is just not a good evaluator of the QB position. Whiffed completely on Trey then got frustrated and fell out of love with him. Same shyt with Jimmy. The only player Kyle loves unconditionally is Cousins and maybe Purdy ends up being that guy.

But the guy you're agreeing with (different subject) thinks Darnold outplayed Trey and he was never handpicked to be QB2. I twas decided recently. That is bullshyt.

Purdy has been good for the most part but I don't think the evaluation is fair at all since Trey has never gotten a chance with such a stacked offense. We'll never know now.
This I dont know what to think of. I think the FO already had soured on Trey at that point and were all in on Purdy as QB1, so likely they either wanted to see Trey completely demolish Sam in practice or like you said, they kinda were already ready to move from Trey.

But it has little to do with what I was replying to.

Point Im making is that Purdy is a lot more than just a slightly upgraded Jimmy.

Your first two points I agree with.

Id even go as far as to say Kyle is not a great talent evaluator in general, in terms of draft value/free agency value and overall evaluation. And he has sucked at evaluating QBs. Hes on record saying that he didnt even know what Purdy was capable of before he started taking reps after Lance went down. Which doesnt make sense because Purdys style of play is exactly the same as in his college tape. Just did a lot less stupid shyt in the NFL when trying to extend plays.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
I'm just challenging the logic of these pro-Trey posts. If Darnold is too shyt to keep our season afloat, then what is Trey? In order for them to make sense they would have to claim that Darnold looked categorically worse than Trey in the preseason and they can't do that because it's not true, which is why they instead turn to Darnold's past production outside of this offense and Trey's hypothetical potential that we have no actual evidence of him being able to actualize. What we do have evidence of is this:

This is why Trey Lance is no longer a 49er. Putting this on tape in your third year in this system that you were once the starting QB of is very, very bad. Darnold has no tape in a 49ers uniform this bad. Backup QB is about a high floor. Darnold's was higher than Trey's. I was in favor of keeping Trey as QB3, because even if he can't run this offense well he at least has an arm.

I personally don't believe it's a wrap for our season if Darnold has to come in and spell Purdy for a bit. I think he can run this offense competently and we're far too talented on offense to let Sam Darnold sink us. All he would have to do is play point guard, not try and manufacture winning plays like he was doing with the Jets and Panthers. Granted, it's preseason, but so far as a 49ers he's shown he can do that. He can make the right read and deliver the ball. Purdy does it at a tier above Darnold, but I believe Darnold can complete 7 yard slants to wide open Deebo and 15 yard posts to wide open Kittle and hand off to CMC. This is not a difficult offense for a QB. Darnold has already made a few impressive throws here, the arm talent is there.

So... not to harp on the situation too much but I watch a lot of teams play and to be honest, Darnold actually played as well as he ever had last season under Wilks, I don't know what changed for him but he looked pretty good considering he had no one to really throw to. Also I don't put much stock in practice completions versus INT's because a lot of times the scenario is to maybe fit it in a tight window or to attack a certain part of the field and the defense knows which makes it easier to go against in practice, hell when I played we had 11 on 11s where we were to purposely get beat so we could work on recovering. Game film is all that matters. Neither Trey or Darnold looked great but Trey is the only one with value, so by default, he had to go. That also frees us up cap-wise to extend Aiyuk and Hufanga and still work on this ridiculous deal Bosa is about to get.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This I dont know what to think of. I think the FO already had soured on Trey at that point and were all in on Purdy as QB1, so likely they either wanted to see Trey completely demolish Sam in practice or like you said, they kinda were already ready to move from Trey.

But it has little to do with what I was replying to.

Point Im making is that Purdy is a lot more than just a slightly upgraded Jimmy.

Your first two points I agree with.

Id even go as far as to say Kyle is not a great talent evaluator in general, in terms of draft value/free agency value and overall evaluation. And he has sucked at evaluating QBs. Hes on record saying that he didnt even know what Purdy was capable of before he started taking reps after Lance went down. Which doesnt make sense because Purdys style of play is exactly the same as in his college tape. Just did a lot less stupid shyt in the NFL when trying to extend plays.

I haven't seen enough of Purdy to say if he's better or worse than Jimmy. Players look unstoppable when they're streaking. I guess we'll see.

And yea, Kyle is really disappointing me as an evaluator. He's good with the play designs and assembling good coaching staff, but he gets more props than I think he deserves in terms of being the QB "Expert".

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Get robbie on the phone

Robbie gonna hit Lynch and Kyle wit

PEaxeS.gif

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
So... not to harp on the situation too much but I watch a lot of teams play and to be honest, Darnold actually played as well as he ever had last season under Wilks, I don't know what changed for him but he looked pretty good considering he had no one to really throw to.
Right, as I posted before, if you take out the last anomalous game, Darnold had a 105 QB rating, 220 yards per game, and a 7 to 1 TD-INT ratio last season. Completely respectable numbers on a pretty bad Panthers offense.

Also I don't put much stock in practice completions versus INT's because a lot of times the scenario is to maybe fit it in a tight window or to attack a certain part of the field and the defense knows which makes it easier to go against in practice, hell when I played we had 11 on 11s where we were to purposely get beat so we could work on recovering. Game film is all that matters. Neither Trey or Darnold looked great but Trey is the only one with value, so by default, he had to go.
Practice is one thing, and I agree the stats mean next to nothing because they're completely devoid of context. But preseason game film is still live game film, and that's what I'm basing my analysis on. Trey looked less comfortable, less confident, and made more mistakes than Darnold did in the preseason games. The coaching staff's decisions align with what we all saw in the games. Darnold didn't look great, but he looked better than Trey. Not by a massive margin, but by a notable one. I agree that Trey has more value so trading him made more sense, but even if we kept them all, he would still be QB3.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Right, as I posted before, if you take out the last anomalous game, Darnold had a 105 QB rating, 220 yards per game, and a 7 to 1 TD-INT ratio last season. Completely respectable numbers on a pretty bad Panthers offense.

Practice is one thing, and I agree the stats mean next to nothing because they're completely devoid of context. But preseason game film is still live game film, and that's what I'm basing my analysis on. Trey looked less comfortable, less confident, and made more mistakes than Darnold did in the preseason games. The coaching staff's decisions align with what we all saw in the games. Darnold didn't look great, but he looked better than Trey. Not by a massive margin, but by a notable one. I agree that Trey has more value so trading him made more sense, but even if we kept them all, he would still be QB3.

Man

Status
Not open for further replies.