Trade 3 Firsts and a 3rd for a 4th Brehs - Official 2023 San Francisco 49ers Season Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Shanny's training-wheels offense will compensate for a lot of those accuracy issues. It wasn't a full season, but Darnold had one of the highest YPA last year, more than Mahomes, Hurts, Purdy and Jimmy G. He can move the ball downfield. This would be by far the best, easiest offense he's ever played in. Only question would be if he can grasp Shanny's offense.
How can he grasp a offense that takes a year or more to understand?

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
If you can genuinely remember the offense at the beginning of last season vs how it changed when Trey got hurt and can't see the difference between how he set up Purdy/Jimmy for success then we don't have to do a back and forth on this.
Of course the offense changed when the 6'5" 225lb (supposedly) mobile QB with a big arm was swapped for the two little guys with mediocre arms. If anything, that's proof Shanny was trying to set Trey up for success by molding the offense to his particular skillset. I'm suspecting a lot of the pro-Trey/anti-Shanny posters are just seeing Brock play well in his system and thinking why can't you just swap Trey in and he should succeed as well, but football isn't Madden. Trey's talents are very different than Brock's. We saw Trey in Brock's system on Sunday and he struggled like hell. If you can't see that then we're probably not looking at the game from the same level.

In Chicago Trey had 28 passing attempts while also being the team's leading rusher. It was the season opener AND a bad weather game where all of our reasonably talented RBs/Deebo were very healthy so it should've been a RB heavy/quick throw game plan. How does that make any strategic sense to have Trey throw almost 30 passes and 13 run attempts when none of our RBs got into double digit carries?
28 passing attempts is par for the course for 49ers QBs in the 2022 season. Purdy averaged 26 and Jimmy average 31. 4 of Trey's rushing attempts that week were scrambles, so his actual designed runs called in by Shanny were 9.

From what we've seen so far, Trey isn't capable of running an effective quick throw game plan. His worst plays of the day (INT attempting a 4 yard slant and taking a sack on the 3rd and 7 in the 2nd series) were staple plays in the Jimmy/Brock offense. His best throws on the day were intermediate passes off of play action. The best non-QB running plays on the day (Mitchell's 16 yard run, Deebo's TD run, and Deebo's 27 yard run) were all RPOs that relied on the defense respecting the threat of Trey's rushing. Which was actually not that bad that game, he picked up a first down on 3rd and 13 with the dreaded QB draw. As for why none of the other RBs got into double digits...Elijah Mitchell suffered a MCL sprain and left the game at halftime.

He's never put Brock anywhere near that position nor Jimmy. Do you want to know his gameplan for Brock's first start against Miami? Quick passes and run heavy. They leaned on McCaffrey/Deebo with Purdy as he should've with Trey and Wilson/Mitchell/Deebo in the first game.......and also like he did with Jimmy and Wilson/Deebo in Seattle AFTER Trey got hurt.

It's not a conspiracy. Just say you can't see it. We see football different.
Brock and Jimmy shouldn't be expected to shoulder the same offensive burden as the 3rd overall pick. They're supposed to be game managers, Trey is supposed to be a game winner. The ceiling of their play in the system Shanny runs for them (see: Brock's play) is lower than the ceiling of what Trey would be doing in the system Shanny ran for him...if he was actually good. You don't spend 3 first round picks on a guy to just throw quick passes and primarily handoff to the running backs :beli:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
It wouldn't be a Niner brehs thread without a never ending QB argument :russ: :russ: so let's join the fukkery :mjgrin:

My main concern right now is Brock. He's gonna start Week 1 whether people like it or not. So, I'm curious to see if Shanny protects him with the gameplan and 2, how big will his sophmore slump will be?

There's no way Brock can keep the same pace he had last year, he put some crazy ass numbers and got away with almost 1 easy INT dropped per game. So yeah, I'd be a fool to think he wont struggle more this coming season. But what I want to see is if dude can overcome that and get better at QB. I'm fine with worse numbers as long as we can continue to rack Ws that gets us to the playoffs IF it means Purdy continues to develop as a QB and doesn't stay exactly as the same player.

Like, if by Week 6-7 he continues to spin to his left to avoid pressure, he'll be getting sacked and picked like crazy. So I want to see what he does to improve on those tendencies and continue to make them work on his favor (instead of the opposing defense's).

Trey is right now a secondary concern. If he ends up a bust, I'll be right there with y'all shytting on Shanny. He'd almost surely will get a 1-3 games to start this season so we'll see how he fairs. But QB1 is Brock and that's gonna be my main focus :manny:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't see why there's an argument. Brock Purdy came in and the team averaged 34 points per game while he was starting. You HAVE to ride Brock Purdy and see if he can replicate what he did last season. Yes, he did get some luck on dropped INTs but he also made a ton of plays that no other QB on the roster would have made under pressure.

Trey, has looked ok at times but I haven't seen anything from him yet that tells me this should be an argument.

Sam Darnold is a backup. That's what he is at this point. He's insurance in case we have some injuries. He's a veteran QB now with game experience and has looked decent in spurts during his career. We obviously do not want to see him out there in a big game.

That's all I got. This argument makes no sense, I don't even know what the point of all of this is.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I don't see why there's an argument. Brock Purdy came in and the team averaged 34 points per game while he was starting. You HAVE to ride Brock Purdy and see if he can replicate what he did last season. Yes, he did get some luck on dropped INTs but he also made a ton of plays that no other QB on the roster would have made under pressure.

Trey, has looked ok at times but I haven't seen anything from him yet that tells me this should be an argument.

Sam Darnold is a backup. That's what he is at this point. He's insurance in case we have some injuries. He's a veteran QB now with game experience and has looked decent in spurts during his career. We obviously do not want to see him out there in a big game.

That's all I got. This argument makes no sense, I don't even know what the point of all of this is.
To argue because people are anxious for the season to start :russ:

We've been told Purdy is starting for a month now. But fans prefer to jump ahead of time and assume he's gonna get injured ASAP and that opens up all the debates about who will be Brock's back up: a) Trey, and if it's him: is he a bust, and who's fault is that? or b) Darnold, and if it's him: fukk my life we gotta deal with this cac.

:mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

We've been told Purdy is starting for a month now. But fans prefer to jump ahead of time and assume he's gonna get injured ASAP and that opens up all the debates about who will be Brock's back up: a) Trey, and if it's him: is he a bust, and who's fault is that? or b) Darnold, and if it's him: fukk my life we gotta deal with this cac.

I don't care what people say about Darnold because he's better than what we had in Josh Johnson :hubie: That's all that matters to me.

As far as whether Trey is a bust or not, it's too early but even if he is a bust why should we be blaming anyone? Brock Purdy was a steal with the last pick of the draft. So we are going to criticize a bust but then not praise the front office when they hit a home run in the later rounds which they've actually done quite a bit?

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I don't care what people say about Darnold because he's better than what we had in Josh Johnson :hubie: That's all that matters to me.

As far as whether Trey is a bust or not, it's too early but even if he is a bust why should we be blaming anyone? Brock Purdy was a steal with the last pick of the draft. So we are going to criticize a bust but then not praise the front office when they hit a home run in the later rounds which they've actually done quite a bit?
I'm just giving my take as to why these arguments are being made. To be honest I'm more surprised people are kinda looking past the fact that Brock is the starter and are kinda assuming he's going to get hurt very early or are just :patrice: about him and at the same time ignore him as a talking point and go straight to Lance as the focus.

I get it though. The gamble the front office made with Trey was HUGE, so of course people will put a bigger microscope on it. If we didn't trade all those picks for him, there wouldn't be THAT much conversation about him and him being a bust or not would still be argued, but not on the level that it is right now.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I'm just giving my take as to why these arguments are being made. To be honest I'm more surprised people are kinda looking past the fact that Brock is the starter and are kinda assuming he's going to get hurt very early or are just :patrice: about him and at the same time ignore him as a talking point and go straight to Lance as the focus.

I get it though. The gamble the front office made with Trey was HUGE, so of course people will put a bigger microscope on it. If we didn't trade all those picks for him, there wouldn't be THAT much conversation about him and him being a bust or not would still be argued, but not on the level that it is right now.

I just think it's overblown because they hit on Purdy and they've hit on other late rounders, they've done a good job with some other early picks too and they've also gotten back some draft picks from the coaching tree. No front office is gonna be perfect. It's also too early to say he's a bust.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Look I like Trey and want him to succeed but Brock Purdy's numbers weren't just pretty good, they were maybe a notch down from elite. He threw 17 TDs and only 4 INTs, made George Kittle relevant again, and won every game he started until he hurt his arm. He has at minimum earned the starting spot. If Trey wants to start he is going to have to show massive improvement because as it stands right now he may not even be QB2 over Sam Darnold. I get it it's not fair but he was the #3 pick and the 49ers pissed away a lot of picks to get him.
I'm not doubting he should be the starter.. What I'm doubting is another year full of this magical run.

He's already gone 8-0.. We need him to go another what? 12-5? 13-4? 14-3? Then run through the playoffs and get us back to a SB and possibly win it? That's Mahomes level of QBing. It's hard to expect that with everything going right.

But what's actually is going on is he's coming back from an injury, he probably won't be playing in preseason if any, it's typically qb's worst year (sophmore year) cause teams got fresh nfl tape on you and he was never rated highly in the first place.

People expecting us to cruise on back to the NFC championship are clearly mistaken. And with this 3 QB nonsense, we can't start 3-4 or worse before they start calling on somebody else. If Brock had a full year of doing this and no injury, I'd have nothing to say

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:russ:

I can't believe folks got sucked into this again this pre-season. The worst thing to happen to Lance's career, besides Shanny tanking him, is the draft picks that were traded for him. Sam Darnold shouldn't be given this many chances against 3rd teamers when Lance barely got a chance to start his career.

If this is how it's already going they should've traded Lance and let him get a fresh start elsewhere. I'm tired of looking at Kyle's coaching malpractice with him......and just so everyone knows Brock has a good chance of having a sophomore slump. They had an offseason of tape on him to learn.
It’s truly amazing. Some of the worst asset management I’ve ever seen…in all of sports.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you can genuinely remember the offense at the beginning of last season vs how it changed when Trey got hurt and can't see the difference between how he set up Purdy/Jimmy for success then we don't have to do a back and forth on this.

In Chicago Trey had 28 passing attempts while also being the team's leading rusher. It was the season opener AND a bad weather game where all of our reasonably talented RBs/Deebo were very healthy so it should've been a RB heavy/quick throw game plan. How does that make any strategic sense to have Trey throw almost 30 passes and 13 run attempts when none of our RBs got into double digit carries?

He's never put Brock anywhere near that position nor Jimmy. Do you want to know his gameplan for Brock's first start against Miami? Quick passes and run heavy. They leaned on McCaffrey/Deebo with Purdy as he should've with Trey and Wilson/Mitchell/Deebo in the first game.......and also like he did with Jimmy and Wilson/Deebo in Seattle AFTER Trey got hurt.

It's not a conspiracy. Just say you can't see it. We see football different.

The O and personnel were completely different with Trey. People are not being honest.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not doubting he should be the starter.. What I'm doubting is another year full of this magical run.

He's already gone 8-0.. We need him to go another what? 12-5? 13-4? 14-3? Then run through the playoffs and get us back to a SB and possibly win it? That's Mahomes level of QBing. It's hard to expect that with everything going right.

But what's actually is going on is he's coming back from an injury, he probably won't be playing in preseason if any, it's typically qb's worst year (sophmore year) cause teams got fresh nfl tape on you and he was never rated highly in the first place.

People expecting us to cruise on back to the NFC championship are clearly mistaken. And with this 3 QB nonsense, we can't start 3-4 or worse before they start calling on somebody else. If Brock had a full year of doing this and no injury, I'd have nothing to say

Those are the expectations. If Brock doesn’t hit them I expect every excuse (personally think the expectations are way too high but the Org have set them up this way)

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County

Who is arguing about Brock being the starter though? Everyone that is talking about Trey in positive sense are just saying he wasn't setup like the rest and wasn't developed properly. Brock has definitely earned the right to start. Just have to see if he can keep it up. But Trey's development has been ass.

Outside the goofiness on the news about Sam Darnold. The majority on here see that Brock is QB1. Just concerns if he can keep it up. Also him getting rushed back. Sadly, I can see this dude getting hurt again for playing too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.