Trade 3 Firsts and a 3rd for a 4th Brehs - Official 2023 San Francisco 49ers Season Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The first negative note I had on his performance today was an attempted scramble in one of the first couple of series where he was hella slow getting to the edge and only got a couple of yards. An actually mobile QB like Fields would have picked up a first down. Trey's lack of mobility is most likely fatal to his success based on his skills profile. And yeah, Darnold absolutely has more mobility which is insane.

Trey looks incredibly uncomfortable still. From Shanny's treatment of BA in his doghouse, this team doesn't tolerate weakness like that. :francis:

I know what you're talking about. He looked so slow. But then I forget that this dude had that leg injury so maybe he's not 100%?

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Theyre literally leagues apart mobility wise. When Fields gets outside all defense is on red alert and a lot of times spectacular display of elusiveness and shiftiness and athleticism is about to happen.

Hate to say it but Trey looks like a lumbering Tight End when on the run...it even looks ugly and unnatural. like theres no grace to it...

I agree. It's not even close.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly. Ultimately, this is a massive failure on Shanny/Lynch because it's not like they inherited him, they went out and chose him. If you're such a genius, adjust your offense to make it work for this guy. I'm really interested to know the behind the scenes of the Lance pick. It really should have been a fatal decision for this regime if not for Brock's success giving them cover. :francis:
Yea, I could understand if the call came from the owner to draft him. Still, it's concerning that we have this QB guru who is part of the process to trade 3 1sts to draft a guy and doesn't adjust the O to fit his skillset. Instead trying to make him a pocket passer. No issue with wanting that kind of QB, but we drafted the wrong guy.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yea, I could understand if the call came from the owner to draft him. Still, it's concerning that we have this QB guru who is part of the process to trade 3 1sts to draft a guy and doesn't adjust the O to fit his skillset. Instead trying to make him a pocket passer. No issue with wanting that kind of QB, but we drafted the wrong guy.

I understand running him out of the read option....but running him up the gut is fukkin retarded at the NFL level.

I understand the level of competition....but the man threw 28 TDs with ZERO picks his soph year at NDSU. The talent is there. Let him take his lumps.

Brock got away with a lot of mistakes last year, but his immeasurables were great. Still the lack of armskrenf concerns me (and that was before the injury).

And Darnold....again, backup only.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Trey :ehh: I don't see why people keep saying we have to trade Lance. Why? We literally ran out of QBs last year. Purdy/Trey/Darnold should all be on the team, they don't have to activate Darnold every week
There was zero point in trading Lance before, and especially now. His value is at all-time low. He is far more valuable here than what he will get the Niners

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Exactly. Ultimately, this is a massive failure on Shanny/Lynch because it's not like they inherited him, they went out and chose him. If you're such a genius, adjust your offense to make it work for this guy. I'm really interested to know the behind the scenes of the Lance pick. It really should have been a fatal decision for this regime if not for Brock's success giving them cover. :francis:
Any GM/coach combo besides :beli: and maybe Reid (but theres a reason Reid will get a pass) would get fired on the spot for giving up all those assets and selecting Lance and then not playing him and not developing him. Brock really came in and saved their asses.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I understand running him out of the read option....but running him up the gut is fukkin retarded at the NFL level.

I understand the level of competition....but the man threw 28 TDs with ZERO picks his soph year at NDSU. The talent is there. Let him take his lumps.

Brock got away with a lot of mistakes last year, but his immeasurables were great. Still the lack of armskrenf concerns me (and that was before the injury).

And Darnold....again, backup only.

Talent is there but ahead of Fields? Nah

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Any GM/coach combo besides :beli: and maybe Reid (but theres a reason Reid will get a pass) would get fired on the spot for giving up all those assets and selecting Lance and then not playing him and not developing him. Brock really came in and saved their asses.

Depends. Brock might not be the guy either.

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Theyre literally leagues apart mobility wise. When Fields gets outside all defense is on red alert and a lot of times spectacular display of elusiveness and shiftiness and athleticism is about to happen.

Hate to say it but Trey looks like a lumbering Tight End when on the run...it even looks ugly and unnatural. like theres no grace to it...
Smh I wish I didn’t read this. This is spot on.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Here are my thoughts on the pre-season game.

-Trey imo. Needs to get the majority of the snaps this pre-season or at minimum it needs to be even split with Brock Purdy. I feel like the talent is there but it is clear he is mentally shot. He was the #3 pick and he's is starting to hear the word 'bust' being used now in the same sentence as his name. People are talking about his speed not being there either in terms of scrambling or even his evasiveness in the pocket but he is probably being tentative after a major ankle injury. This is a concern but not the biggest concern, imo. This is the biggest responsibility of the coaching staff, you need to find out what you really have in Trey Lance. Especially since Brock Purdy is still on the mend.

-Cameron Latu need to be on the hands machine all camp. His inability to make catches or hang onto the ball are a problem. In fact drops in general are a problem with the backup receivers.

- The offensive line looked awful. Granted I never expect them to look great in the first game but the Raiders were abusing Nick Zakelj and Jason Poe and they whiffed multiple blocks. Which led me to say that we needed to bring in a proven veteran or two in the offseason.

-Call Robbie Gould and beg him to come back.

-What bothered me in general is the lack of urgency at almost all phases of the game. The Raiders looked they were in midseason form. We looked like we rolled out of bed and hit the field.

Its just one game and pre-season at that but that was troubling.

Status
Not open for further replies.