Toys ‘R’ Us has declared bankruptcy

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
That's certainly an interesting hot take on Wal-Mart. It's hard to invision that when looking at the sheer scale of their business but at the same time A&P was once the largest retailer in the country and now they no longer exist. So to say it's not possible is naive as we've seen it happen before. That took years and years though
Of course I'm not implying this will happen any time soon.
I'm just stating that anyone that feels Walmart is impervious or above competing with the online market is naive.
Walmart's decision to stop price matching in stores is a very bad move that I feel if they don't correct, will cost them a large portion of their business.
Look at modern consumer behavior.
Today's consumer has the ability to check prices on every item imaginable before even leaving the house. To make it even harder for retailers, if we see a price we aren't sure of in store, we can easily check the price at every retailer via our smartphones before making the purchase. This is why price matching is paramount now, and I believe will be on of the deciding factors whether or not a store will continue to be in business.
Best Buy is much smaller than Walmart, but it also services a much smaller target market; consumer electronics.
If we compare the consumer electronics competition alone, Best Buy is destroying Walmart hands down and it can't even be debated.
Removing the electronics component you are left with everything else; budget clothing brands, home decor, toiletries, food, etc, all of which Amazon is clearly positioning themselves to dominate in the online space and also in the physical space seen in their recent acquisition of the whole foods brand.
Amazon has climb to the top of the internet retailers, moving ebay out of the way and has realized the next step in dominating is delivery and customer service.
They've implemented the amazon lockers (drop off locations), purchases whole foods, have begun rolling out drone delivery, same day delivery, 2 day delivery.
At this time, Walmart is refusing to compete, and I believe it's because of the same arrogance and complacency that eventually got Blockbuster run out of town.

Will Best Buy outlive Walmart? That seems unlikely due to the sheer footprint of Walmart, but it's not impossible.
I'm not arguing this point of which company will go out of business first.

I'm simply pointing out that Best Buy is playing the smarter game as it pertains to competing with Amazon, while Walmart is actually taking steps backwards.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Interesting point. Amazon sells literally everything. If that aint a monopoly I dont know what is. But in the current day and age, the governments allow all monopolies to just eat everyone. Theres barely any competition in most markets. Whens the last time any company got broken up?

But to the original point....it was inevitable that brick and mortar stores were gonna be phased out due to technological advancement. First employees get replaced with automation, and then close down cause its cheaper to pay for a .com then rent out a store location,parking lot etc.

This shyt down the line will be a big issue for humanity....better learn how to fix robots or phones brehs

Bricks & mortar has been long dead. If you haven't transitioned to your sales revenue online you'll soon be got

.coms also need a warehouse so they still need to pay rent..

the reason Walmart and Target thrives is because they sell everything, the specialty brick and mortar is dead.... walmart discovered (and its true) a person will spend more money if everything in one store instead of going to multiple stores. putting a bunch of stuff in the cart then checking out will cost you more.. than carting store by store where you get a breather to count and check your budget

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
.coms also need a warehouse so they still need to pay rent..

the reason Walmart and Target thrives is because they sell everything, the specialty brick and mortar is dead.... walmart discovered (and its true) a person will spend more money if everything in one store instead of going to multiple stores. putting a bunch of stuff in the cart then checking out will cost you more.. than carting store by store where you get a breather to count and check your budget
This is true, but the issue I see with Walmart strategy is that they aren't competitive in many markets such as the electronics one I mentioned.
This issue is made more evident when a Walmart is placed in relative close proximity to a Best Buy.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
This is true, but the issue I see with Walmart strategy is that they aren't competitive in many markets such as the electronics one I mentioned.
This issue is made more evident when a Walmart is placed in relative close proximity to a Best Buy.

they banking on the "Bubbas"
early adapters don't buy electronics from walmart. half the coli aint buying high-end electronics at walmart (I know you cant) but the average Joe want to get a TV or BluRay player and go home and set it up. they don't care about bout specs or anything..

1080p better than 720 because 1080 is higher than 720 ... 1000W better than 999W .... that's the only reasoning in their heads. that and it costs less...

And why be competitive when there's no competition (im talking brick and mortar .. local pickup.. not amazon)... whats the incentive

can get back to ToyRUs... the store isn't even fully stocked with toys its about 40-50%

I miss Kay Bee Toys too .....

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
they banking on the "Bubbas"
early adapters don't buy electronics from walmart. half the coli aint buying high-end electronics at walmart (I know you cant) but the average Joe want to get a TV or BluRay player and go home and set it up. they don't care about bout specs or anything..

1080p better than 720 because 1080 is higher than 720 ... 1000W better than 999W .... that's the only reasoning in their heads. that and it costs less...
I hear you, but this is also becoming a disappearing factor as modern consumers are becoming more and more educated due to the ease of accessing information.
Sure you'll always have ignorant consumers, but that population will continue to twindle.
Like I said, I'm not speaking of immediate outcomes. Just pointing out the path these companies have currently positioned themselves to walk down.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Who said Best Buy was trending downward?
I seen it stated several times that Best Buy implementing price matching not only saved the business, but they've actually seen growth.
If anything I expect Walmart to disappear. Their customer service is piss poor, their products are low quality, and they stopped price matching. Amazon is in position to eat their lunch right in front of them and they aren't going to put up a fight. For these retail locations to survive they're going to have to price match online prices. There's no way around it.
Best Buy is definitely bleeding.

My friend who was the manager of a geek squad unit got a huge incentive to leave and he was not the only manager across the country to get the offer.

These companies have great ways to make the books look good, but the reality is Best Buy doesn't really serve the enthusiast market and the casual tech buyer is only going in there to see if a TV looks good to buy it on amazon with prime.

Cheapo is going to Walmart.

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
When is the last time any of you went to Toys-R-us? I went an bought my son a train set recently, and there was barely anyone in the store. I live in one of the most economic vibrant areas in the entire world.

One thing I noticed is that it's basically the same shyt since I was kid. Nothing but Star Wars, Thomas trains, Hot Wheels, Transformers and Ninja Turtles. Have the toy makers ran out of ideas?

The Star Wars toys seem really expense and just sitting on the shelves.... I really don't think the kids are into Star Wars like that.

THIS

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kids don't really play with Toys anymore

It's all about electronics and gaming with them

Plus have you seen the price of toys lately? the wrestling action figures I use to buy back when I was little were 5.99 now them shyts are 19.99 lol

shyt is overpriced
Inflation and a shrinking market I suppose.
I do like going over there once in a blue moon to see what Godzilla and other licenced property action figures they got

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Best Buy is definitely bleeding.

My friend who was the manager of a geek squad unit got a huge incentive to leave and he was not the only manager across the country to get the offer.

These companies have great ways to make the books look good, but the reality is Best Buy doesn't really serve the enthusiast market and the casual tech buyer is only going in there to see if a TV looks good to buy it on amazon with prime.

Cheapo is going to Walmart.
Geek squad is over priced trash the Best Buy should rid itself of or completely overhaul.