Toys ‘R’ Us has declared bankruptcy

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
I went to Toys R Us to buy some gifts for my nieces and nephew, who are pretty young, and my sis was like "nah, just buy them a family friendly video game."

I guess toys are becoming more and more obsolete. It's weird to think about :jbhmm:

toys are wack now for the most part. no innovation. like a poster above said it's all star wars shyt. disney/franchises killed it. at least back in the days the actual shyt they got the toys from made kids excited. now it's all tablet games.

llt23

All Star
Daps
They closed the one by my house. It's a damn shame, amazon should be regulated in some way if it's costing people their jobs

Interesting point. Amazon sells literally everything. If that aint a monopoly I dont know what is. But in the current day and age, the governments allow all monopolies to just eat everyone. Theres barely any competition in most markets. Whens the last time any company got broken up?

But to the original point....it was inevitable that brick and mortar stores were gonna be phased out due to technological advancement. First employees get replaced with automation, and then close down cause its cheaper to pay for a .com then rent out a store location,parking lot etc.

This shyt down the line will be a big issue for humanity....better learn how to fix robots or phones brehs

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Soon we're not gonna be able to buy stuff at retail stores anymore right? Unless it's at a Walmart.
Toys"R"Us taps law firm to weigh restructuring options: source

As a game collector and purchaser of tech products this trend is disturbing. There's already a bunch of stuff I can't buy now unless I order it online. At this point I'm dreading the day that Best Buy article gets posted. They been treading downward last I knew.

Walmart and Amazon are killing the game. One day in the future that's gonna be the only two ads in our Black Friday thread.
Who said Best Buy was trending downward?
I seen it stated several times that Best Buy implementing price matching not only saved the business, but they've actually seen growth.
If anything I expect Walmart to disappear. Their customer service is piss poor, their products are low quality, and they stopped price matching. Amazon is in position to eat their lunch right in front of them and they aren't going to put up a fight. For these retail locations to survive they're going to have to price match online prices. There's no way around it.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Soon we're not gonna be able to buy stuff at retail stores anymore right? Unless it's at a Walmart.
Toys"R"Us taps law firm to weigh restructuring options: source

As a game collector and purchaser of tech products this trend is disturbing. There's already a bunch of stuff I can't buy now unless I order it online. At this point I'm dreading the day that Best Buy article gets posted. They been treading downward last I knew.

Walmart and Amazon are killing the game. One day in the future that's gonna be the only two ads in our Black Friday thread.
I'm a toys r us kid, Geoffrey is the big homey. I'll never forget 2 memories of this place.

1.) Getting the last ticket for SF2 SNES and the ticket reading $79.99 :wow:

2.) Randomly walking into one in 1999 and seeing NFL2k on display, my jaw dropped. Then seeing it was for sale
Sega didn't heavily promote the release of the dreamcast because I didn't know, followed gaming just as hard if not harder as I do now :francis:
Then learning it was only $199.99 :blessed:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Bigger issues than retail places being schlopped up is kids dont buy toys. My brother plays with video games and tablets. They cant even afford to do toys commercials no more. Its crazy to say some shyt like toys might die out, but the gimmicks that somewhat stick only stay around for a few weeks and end up shelved in a corner or garbage can. The toy industry can't live fad to fad bro.

With prices for formerly expensive devices like tablets and even handheld systems going down, these technologies are funneling down to the lower class, who was really the last guard for toys. If poor people dont need toys no more, then its GG

pains me to write all of this btw, my generation was the last one who actively used toys :wow:

My sons about to be 4 and my crib don't look like toys are dying out :mjcry:

I think it's more after that age. Whos coppin nerf guns and shyt any more lol.

My kid is def becoming more about games though. No more Legos. Just Lego games he wants.

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I seen it stated several times that Best Buy implementing price matching not only saved the business, but they've actually seen growth.
If anything I expect Walmart to disappear. Their customer service is piss poor, their products are low quality, and they stopped price matching. Amazon is in position to eat their lunch right in front of them and they aren't going to put up a fight. For these retail locations to survive they're going to have to price match online prices. There's no way around it.
To type this you have a disconnect from reality, especially in comparison to best buy.
At the end of the day its Wal-Mart selling to brick and morter and amazon online, with each one trying to enter the others marketplace.
On the fringe you have your boutiques and upscale experiences in Target, Costco, newegg, tigerdirect, and etc.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
To type this you have a disconnect from reality, especially in comparison to best buy.
At the end of the day its Wal-Mart selling to brick and morter and amazon online, with each one trying to enter the others marketplace.
On the fringe you have your boutiques and upscale experiences in Target, Costco, newegg, tigerdirect, and etc.
I don't think you understand modern consumer habits.

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sad but true. You got lil kids who play for a minute, but it's a wrap.

Bigger issues than retail places being schlopped up is kids dont buy toys. My brother plays with video games and tablets. They cant even afford to do toys commercials no more. Its crazy to say some shyt like toys might die out, but the gimmicks that somewhat stick only stay around for a few weeks and end up shelved in a corner or garbage can. The toy industry can't live fad to fad bro.

With prices for formerly expensive devices like tablets and even handheld systems going down, these technologies are funneling down to the lower class, who was really the last guard for toys. If poor people dont need toys no more, then its GG

pains me to write all of this btw, my generation was the last one who actively used toys :wow:

Yeah seems like only grown up collectors are buying action figures these days.Man i use to have a blast playing gi joes in the ditch behind my grandmas house.I would bury them and everything.Before my grandma passed we demolished her big car port because it was ugly and her house would sell better with out it and they dug up a bunch of my gi joes and gave them to me.Blew my mind,i had forgotten all about them.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I don't think you understand modern consumer habits.
Look at Wal-Marts earning reports for the last 5 years and compare it with the earnings report for Best buy.
Educate yourself, it isn't enough to have a "gut feeling" you need substance to that.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
When is the last time any of you went to Toys-R-us? I went an bought my son a train set recently, and there was barely anyone in the store. I live in one of the most economic vibrant areas in the entire world.

One thing I noticed is that it's basically the same shyt since I was kid. Nothing but Star Wars, Thomas trains, Hot Wheels, Transformers and Ninja Turtles. Have the toy makers ran out of ideas?

The Star Wars toys seem really expense and just sitting on the shelves.... I really don't think the kids are into Star Wars like that.
It's weird man. In Tucson there's a Toys R Us, but it's super dead. Its been open for like 25 years and I don't know how they do it.

In Wichita there's a Toys R Us that's busy every time I go in. No idea why :yeshrug:
Lol what? Walmart is the top employers in like 14 states. They are a blue chip stock with one of the best dividends in the Dow 30. They cater to an audience that doesn't give a shyt about online retail (seniors citizens & low income households). Walmart isn't going anywhere bruh.