Top Rated Movies That YOU Didn't Think Were All That Good

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
citizen kane....

now i go back and watch plenty of older movies... but all this "the greatest movie of all time"... nah... not feeling that title at all... took me everything in me to fully watch it.. and i still fell asleep every one of the 5 times i tried watching it on dvd

This is a tricky one because its considered great due to its technical/stylistic achievments, but nowadays it does seem rather slow.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The 3 headed Oscar monster of terrible Best Pic wins are my choices: The English patient, Crash, and after a current look, Forrest Gump. Gump is the only one of the three I considered a decent movie, but all 3 are terribly overrated.
You can replace Gump with Shakespeare in Love which was the absolute worst Best Picture winner of the past 30 years.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
You can replace Gump with Shakespeare in Love which was the absolute worst Best Picture winner of the past 30 years.

Nah, I would choose Shakespeare in Love over Crash...that shyt didn't even belong in a fukking Oscar race for anything. For me Crash is the worst, then Shakespeare, then Gump.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
I knew this thread was gonna shyt on Inception. :mjlol:

:blessed:We are not worthy.

Inception is getting shyt on because the film has almost no emotional core to speak of. All that money on the screen didn't translate to an ounce of heart outside of the last 5 minutes (Which praise must go almost exclusively to Hanz Zimmer for the beutiful song TIME). And don't even get me started on the the plot holes.....The Dark Knight Rises For Five Minutes Of Screen Time & Inception are why I'm not too sold on Interstellar yet....

Anyways...for me, I'm going to have to go with The Departed. I like Scorsese and the cast....but that film is no better than the original Hong Kong joint (Internal Affairs), and Jack Nicholson has had like 15 better performances than that. In fact, the film probably would have been twice as good if it were made in the 70's with Nicholson in Leo's role....:manny: Imagine that scene with Nicholson telling the doctor how much trouble he's in and that he needs quaaludes or some shyt just to get by....:wow: :laugh:

Everything Wes Anderson has ever done outside of The Fantastic Mr. Fox. This is more of a stylistic thing for me....I just genuinely don't like this dudes directorial decisions or worldview.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Inception is getting shyt on because the film has almost no emotional core to speak of. All that money on the screen didn't translate to an ounce of heart outside of the last 5 minutes (Which praise must go almost exclusively to Hanz Zimmer for the beutiful song TIME). And don't even get me started on the the plot holes.....The Dark Knight Rises For Five Minutes Of Screen Time & Inception are why I'm not too sold on Interstellar yet....

Anyways...for me, I'm going to have to go with The Departed. I like Scorsese and the cast....but that film is no better than the original Hong Kong joint (Internal Affairs), and Jack Nicholson has had like 15 better performances than that. In fact, the film probably would have been twice as good if it were made in the 70's with Nicholson in Leo's role....:manny: Imagine that scene with Nicholson telling the doctor how much trouble he's in and that he needs quaaludes or some shyt just to get by....:wow: :laugh:

Everything Wes Anderson has ever done outside of The Fantastic Mr. Fox. This is more of a stylistic thing for me....I just genuinely don't like this dudes directorial decisions or worldview.

That's a dap for your feelings on inception, not the departed :russ:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Training Day- Easily Denzel's most overrated flick and acting role. Ethan Hawke also didn't do it for me, felt the good cop/bad cop dynamic was lacking. Collateral >>>>.

American Gangster- Probably the blandest crime thriller I've seen. Denzel was just being Denzel and the film didn't have one interesting character in it.

American Hustle- Just a piss-poor Goodfellas/Scorcese imitation:scust: "you come at the king... you best not miss"

Argo- Ok movie, but winning best picture?:what:Alan Arkin getting a nomination for best supporting actor?.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Training Day- Easily Denzel's most overrated flick and acting role. Ethan Hawke also didn't do it for me, felt the good cop/bad cop dynamic was lacking. Collateral >>>>.

American Gangster- Probably the blandest crime thriller I've seen. Denzel was just being Denzel and the film didn't have one interesting character in it.

American Hustle- Just a piss-poor Goodfellas/Scorcese imitation:scust: "you come at the king... you best not miss"

Argo- Ok movie, but winning best picture?:what:Alan Arkin getting a nomination for best supporting actor?.

I agree with you American Gangster being garbage and I still don't know why people like that movie at all, but I didn't see AMerican Hustle as a Scorsese rip off...it wasn't a great movie, but it had really amazing acting

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It's a good flick breh but there are definitely some issues to it and one of them is the fact that there are no real "characters" in it, everyone is just a device. But from a pure spectacle standpoint, the movie is amazing

If by spectacle you mean watching a van fall off a bridge in slow motion.

Or generic gun fights with henchmen that are even more 'faceless' than in most movies.

Or exposition so heavy that there's Inception layers of exposition in exposition.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
First time I saw Training Day I loved it
The second time I saw Training Day I thought it was really really good
The third time I saw Training Day I thought it was good

Also The French Connection