Top Boy (Season 4)

JA_Carter

Superstar
Daps
Maybe I’m biased because I was born and raised in London so I love the authenticity but this was another 10/10 season. I’ll admit it was pretty predictable and I called most of the big moments but the character work and plot were damn near flawless for me.

My only complaint is waiting all that time for a new season only to be hit with only 8 episodes left me fiending for more :sadcam:

Side note, that scouser dude was intimidating as hell:merchant:

Last edited:

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
Oh yeah definitely. I mean Sully getting kidnapped and almost beaten to death, going into peckham and not knowing the details of the place but coming out unscathed and killing mad people with a bunch of youngsters. How would criminals like deshane, sully, jamie be able to travel to morocco and spain without the federal police not knowing. 3 federal cops getting merked?

I mean the show started off with that cop scene and that was like the last time you saw them doing anything all season :mjlol:

when them liverpool dudes were across the street and went and shot up the shop any cctv would have caught that easily
These man were dropping bodies having warehouse shoot outs like it was GTA. They’d be caught and locked up within days:dead:

The mandem going to spain/morocco and bossing up on drug smugglers, they’d get get left face down on the beach :bryan:

Murking corrupt police in Spain (as well as acting like that woulda solved the problem considering they mention that other heavy gang there :dead:)

Like don’t get me wrong it’s a fun show and i think a UK based show getting shine is great but it’s kinda suffered from the Peaky Blinders syndrome of getting popular then going crazy/ridiculous.

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
Yeah I think I’m done with this show after this season. You would have thought it takes place in a 3rd world country and not the most surveillance city in the world with how nikkas drop bodies and and never get arrested. They trying to have ol boy with the car snitch when all they got do is look at any one of them CCTV cameras. :deadmanny: It’s basically a American crime drama that has a London backdrop. The OG seasons actually felt like some London shyt.
Yeaaah that’s what I mean the earlier stuff felt a little more grounded. Had some good themes/storytelling. It’s like, they still have that but with a shyt load of murder/shooting/ridiculous and unbelievable shyt added on top, when i’m not sure they really need it to tell the stories.

For example the the Lauryn/Controlling scouser lad storyline was one of the better/realistic subplots most of the season then last couple episodes it just went crazy with machine gun fire:damn:

And lets be honest with ourselves, we really REALLY didn’t need that Shelley buried body subplot :dead:

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeaaah that’s what I mean the earlier stuff felt a little more grounded. Had some good themes/storytelling. It’s like, they still have that but with a shyt load of murder/shooting/ridiculous and unbelievable shyt added on top, when i’m not sure they really need it to tell the stories.

For example the the Lauryn/Controlling scouser lad storyline was one of the better/realistic subplots most of the season then last couple episodes it just went crazy with machine gun fire:damn:

And lets be honest with ourselves, we really REALLY didn’t need that Shelley buried body subplot :dead:
Agreed the Shelley plot was dumb and pointless. I liked the Lauryn storyline because her man played the sociopathic villain so well. Him just lighting up a salon with a machine gun was dumb af. The Spain storyline also made the show feel like a bootleg narcos. The show was popular because of the gritty London dark vibe and they strayed away with it so much. They relied on shootings and murders to make up for good story telling. Sully doing a hit in broad day light with no mask and leaving witnesses :stopitslime:. Dushane gang was able to find the girl that setup ats through camera footage but the police couldn’t? The gang had better investigation skills then London police :deadmanny:. Sully getting beat and kidnapped went viral and the people that did it all ended up murdered and burnt to a crisp and the police were clueless about it all :what:.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Solid season. Just some bullet points:

- The characters I feel the most sorry for is Ats and his mother. He was just a little kid who wanted to help out and ended up being coerced into betraying his own friends. He didn't have a choice. Then of course he sadly gets killed and his poor mother still gets deported and can't even travel back to Africa with her own child. That's the saddest shyt ever but I personally knew a woman who went through the same thing some years ago.

-
RIP to mama Hill. I knew she was gonna pass this season.
I'm not feeling how Dushane spoke to his mother. :stopitslime:TBF she made excuses for him and swept everything under the carpet until it it was way too late.

- I love how Jaq had a bigger presence this season. Ole girl killed her role in this one.

- Everyone knows a Lauryn. Dumb birds like that are a dime a dozen. It's always "b-b-but he was soo sweeeet" bullshyt like they don't know the dudes they're dealing with are scumbags. Curtis is an even bigger and more obvious scumbag than Leyton, but chicks like her never learn their lesson and well, you know the rest.

- Speaking of Curtis, him and his sister were the most interesting villains. I agree with whoever said Curtis has that silent, but violent psychopathic aura to him that you can even see in his eyes. He wasn't on some loud mouth, rah rah shyt but his character was the most :whoa: and his sister was equally as crazy. That was some good casting.

- I would have preferred if they upped the ante and made Dushane and his crew beef with out of towners like the Liverpool gang. Knowing how they get down, the Summerhouse gang would have had MAJOR problems. They knew Dushane and his crew were serious criminals and weren't even the slightest bit fazed. They just ran up on them in their own town, took their shyt and sprayed up the beauty store like it was just another day. :mjlol:

- It's fukk Sully forever and I been saying this waaaay before the finale. People who never saw seasons 1 & 2 thought he was such a nice guy cos he cared for that kid, but dude was a piece of shyt from the beginning.

Daps
Reppin
Kongo
Maybe I’m biased because I was born and raised in London so I love the authenticity but this was another 10/10 season. I’ll admit it was pretty predictable and I called most of the big moments but the character work and plot were damn near flawless for me.

My only complaint is waiting all that time for a new season only to be hit with only 8 episodes left me fiending for more :sadcam:

Side note, that scouser dude was intimidating as hell:merchant:

Every time I watch top boy I end up having a London accent and listening to London music for like 10 days.

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
I don't get the Sully hate. Jamie had to go, keeping him alive is the mistake the OGs in the wire made with marlo.

The dumb thing was a goon with a 2 decade long kill streak doing such a sloppy pre-planned hit. Estates like that are camera'd up.

If sully was a real demon, he'd have bodied the boy who saw his face as well.

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
Agreed the Shelley plot was dumb and pointless. I liked the Lauryn storyline because her man played the sociopathic villain so well. Him just lighting up a salon with a machine gun was dumb af. The Spain storyline also made the show feel like a bootleg narcos. The show was popular because of the gritty London dark vibe and they strayed away with it so much. They relied on shootings and murders to make up for good story telling. Sully doing a hit in broad day light with no mask and leaving witnesses :stopitslime:. Dushane gang was able to find the girl that setup ats through camera footage but the police couldn’t? The gang had better investigation skills then London police :deadmanny:. Sully getting beat and kidnapped went viral and the people that did it all ended up murdered and burnt to a crisp and the police were clueless about it all :what:.

chillllll im weak. :laff:

Like none of this shyt made sense and i love this show.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
Can we all admit now that this was by far the worst season to date, and that the whole direction of the Netflix show is so poor and weak compared to the original two seasons? They were legit amazing. I put them on the same level as the Wire. The first two seasons had such tight and focused plotlines and excellent character development. Not a single scene was pointless or wasted. All the different plotlines for the different characters tended to come together by the end of the last episode of each season, and you saw how they all connected together in the end. Plus everything was very realistic. The cops were actually a force that mattered, Dushane's empire was almost brought down over killing Kamale not once but twice by the police heat. It was really elite television.

Now the Netflix shyt is garbage in comparison. Like yeah it's still entertaining and whatnot. But damn, artistically it has fallen so far from the original Top Boy.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Can we all admit now that this was by far the worst season to date, and that the whole direction of the Netflix show is so poor and weak compared to the original two seasons? They were legit amazing. I put them on the same level as the Wire. The first two seasons had such tight and focused plotlines and excellent character development. Not a single scene was pointless or wasted. All the different plotlines for the different characters tended to come together by the end of the last episode of each season, and you saw how they all connected together in the end. Plus everything was very realistic. The cops were actually a force that mattered, Dushane's empire was almost brought down over killing Kamale not once but twice by the police heat. It was really elite television.

Now the Netflix shyt is garbage in comparison. Like yeah it's still entertaining and whatnot. But damn, artistically it has fallen so far from the original Top Boy.

the original top boy was nowhere close to The Wire. they were operating on a top level of stupidity in those original 2 seasons dushane and whatever the other guys name was, two fukking idiots that nothing was going right for :mjlol:. it had enough to keep me watching but it has a miserable feeling to it

i haven't watched the netflix seasons but they i'm not surprised, 98% of what Netflix puts out is trash they just had enough marketing to get it popping

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
the original top boy was nowhere close to The Wire. they were operating on a top level of stupidity in those original 2 seasons dushane and whatever the other guys name was, two fukking idiots that nothing was going right for :mjlol:. it had enough to keep me watching but it has a miserable feeling to it

i haven't watched the netflix seasons but they i'm not surprised, 98% of what Netflix puts out is trash they just had enough marketing to get it popping

I think you're overrating the Wire. It's a top show but don't forget there is loads of trash in it too. Every single scene with Ziggy in it is an instant skip. So is the whole politics angle with Carcetti who is another major character in the show who dominates three seasons and is completely trash. Clarence Royce was a way better character. They just put Carcetti in because the creators of the show had a personal beef with Baltimore's white mayor at the time, and they wanted to satirise and criticise him by creating a random white politician character. The final season operates on a top level of stupidity too, with a wildly implausible fake serial killer plot being the main driver of that season.

Nothing's perfect. It needs to be conceded that the original Top Boy only has 8 episodes and there really isn't a whole lot you can do wrong in just 8 episodes. It's not even the same length as one season of the Wire. But for what it is, it was honestly superb. At least, that's my opinion. I enjoyed it just as much as I would any given run of 8 episodes in the Wire