Top 4 Reasons Why Female Centric Super Hero Movies Are Often Trash.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Poster of the year quality posting :wow:
These nikkas are gay, breh. A new video game comes out, main character is a woman: :scust: A new movie(usually comic book) main character is a woman: :scust:

I consider myself pretty nuanced, but these nikkas gay as a motherfukker:manny:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there's things that women are better than men at

acting, comedy, and sports are not among them. and i don't pretend i'd rather watch women do them :dead:

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
I want to see a movie about the Angel of Verdun (Edge of Tomorrow) like a prequel that takes place at that battle. Always thought that Full Metal bytch character was cool.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
there's things that women are better than men at

acting, comedy, and sports are not among them. and i don't pretend i'd rather watch women do them :dead:
Women are great at acting. My thread is just about the fact that they are often miscast. And superhero movies don't even require great actors. (although it is appreciated) but breh mentioned Keanu earlier, we gonna act like Keanu is putting on an acting master class in his films? :comeon:
Point is Jonah Hill is not gonna be up for the same type of roles as Michael Jai White. But that doesn't seem to apply to women.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Point 1 & 2 are false. Sigourney Weaver wasn't typical Hollywood gorgeous standards, and Linda Hamilton wasn't either, and completely "butchified" for T2. And most moves are made for a select audience, that just happen to catch on with the mainstream. Black Panther was huge because the general audience that weren't fans of comic books and comic book movies, and especially black folks, went out to support it once it caught on. The same thing happened for the Luke Cage TV show. Angelina Jolie & Charlize Theron failed at Lara Croft and Aeon Flux.

A captivating story and/or character, basic movie magic, will make everything work. The point is to know what type of movie you're making, get everyone on the same page to buy in. Eye candy helps, but isn't necessary. If it was, every single action hero (male or female) Hollywood pushed, would have worked. And then you have to think, who is the eye candy for. Remember, Red Sonja flopped. The plot was trash and it had everything else. Scream 1-3, NOES 1 & 3, succeeded with petite "weak" women.

Female centric superhero movies don't succeed because they didn't do a great job cultivating the audience to receive one. Most men don't want to see a female superhero, and that's just the hard truth. Take into consideration that most comic book superheros are geared to a male audience, and you have a minimum demographic. This means you have to create the demand and prepare the audience for it, and have an incredible stoke of luck. Then you have to figure out the audience you are going for. Do you want to show a powerful female kicking ass on screen all day? OK, now you have to understand that you'll alienate a large portion of your male audience because of lack of "realism." Nevermind the lack of realism in any action movie that gets ignored, but that's a different audience. Do you want to show girl power? But how much speaks to the general female audience? Do you want the every-woman? Ok, now we're back to square one with the divide between average and realism. Is it a rom com, comedy?

Bottom line, you can't please everyone. So they have to make a good movie first, and hope for the best.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Point 1 & 2 are false. Sigourney Weaver wasn't typical Hollywood gorgeous standards, and Linda Hamilton wasn't either, and completely "butchified" for T2. And most moves are made for a select audience, that just happen to catch on with the mainstream. Black Panther was huge because the general audience that weren't fans of comic books and comic book movies, and especially black folks, went out to support it once it caught on. The same thing happened for the Luke Cage TV show. Angelina Jolie & Charlize Theron failed at Lara Croft and Aeon Flux.

A captivating story and/or character, basic movie magic, will make everything work. The point is to know what type of movie you're making, get everyone on the same page to buy in. Eye candy helps, but isn't necessary. If it was, every single action hero (male or female) Hollywood pushed, would have worked. And then you have to think, who is the eye candy for. Remember, Red Sonja flopped. The plot was trash and it had everything else. Scream 1-3, NOES 1 & 3, succeeded with petite "weak" women.

Female centric superhero movies don't succeed because they didn't do a great job cultivating the audience to receive one. Most men don't want to see a female superhero, and that's just the hard truth. Take into consideration that most comic book superheros are geared to a male audience, and you have a minimum demographic. This means you have to create the demand and prepare the audience for it, and have an incredible stoke of luck. Then you have to figure out the audience you are going for. Do you want to show a powerful female kicking ass on screen all day? OK, now you have to understand that you'll alienate a large portion of your male audience because of lack of "realism." Nevermind the lack of realism in any action movie that gets ignored, but that's a different audience. Do you want to show girl power? But how much speaks to the general female audience? Do you want the every-woman? Ok, now we're back to square one with the divide between average and realism. Is it a rom com, comedy?

Bottom line, you can't please everyone. So they have to make a good movie first, and hope for the best.
Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hamilton were cute by hollywood slasher film standards and thats what Alien and Terminator 1 were basically, Slasher film. Plus they were both sexualized heavily in both films.
images

linda-hamilton-having-sex-The-Terminator.jpg

So your point doesn't really ring true to me. Point 1 was about desexualization. they clearly weren't desexualized

However, The sequels turned their franchises into action films. Sigourney being 6ft made her a great fit. And Linda Hamilton hit the gym and showed up in the second movie with abs and biceps.
screen-shot-2019-09-27-at-15-14-15-1569593722.png

Thats way different than expecting audiences to get behind a husky kid
Ms.-Marvel-Kamala-Khan-Leather-Jacket.jpg

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
Nobody's interested in any Kitty Pryde anything. You can take that right back to the bad-idea factory off top.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Nobody's interested in any Kitty Pryde anything. You can take that right back to the bad-idea factory off top.
Thats fine, just saying she's a bigger character than some of the ones they have been trotting out.
Bigger characters have more backstory to draw from which = better movies
plus bigger followings behind them which = more successful movies

Last edited:

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug:Audiences would’ve definitely gotten behind Ms. Marvel. If the writing, directing, and actress was good.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:yeshrug:Audiences would’ve definitely gotten behind Ms. Marvel. If the writing, directing, and actress was good.
The Ms Marvel series was great. It received critical acclaim, and was literally a 1 to 1 replica of her comic book origin.
It flopped not because of bad writing or bad acting, but because they didn't have any greater audience appeal. due many of the reasons i listed.
Main one being she is simply not one of the favored toys in the marvel toybox. Not a big fandom behind her.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
The Ms Marvel series was great. It received critical acclaim, and was literally a 1 to 1 replica of her comic book origin.
It flopped not because of bad writing or bad acting, but because they didn't have any greater audience appeal. due many of the reasons i listed.
Main one being she is simply not one of the favored toys in the marvel toybox. Not a big fandom behind her.
The show simply didn’t have a draw like the other.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
Majority of people didn’t know who Moon Knight was. Until his show but Oscar Isaac and the promises of violence. Was that show’s main draw.

Last edited:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
My entire point is that the film makers are fukking it up
*Film studios

There's been enough stories about studios getting in the way of directors doing their job. How many superhero movies have changed directors either before and during production? How long have movies been in years of development due to studios being unable to to agree on a story?

Literally Blade with Mahershalia is the biggest example.