Top 4 Reasons Why Female Centric Super Hero Movies Are Often Trash.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
*Film studios

There's been enough stories about studios getting in the way of directors doing their job. How many superhero movies have changed directors either before and during production? How long have movies been in years of development due to studios being unable to to agree on a story?

Literally Blade with Mahershalia is the biggest example.
good point

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
I Agree with all the above. Another reason IMO is the Boss lady phenomenon where alot of these characters start of as a bad ass, kicking but in the first scene without a proper hero's journey first.

It reminds me of a 90s action flick with Stallone or Schwarzenegger playing a flat stock character who kicks ass in the first scene. Those movies fell out of favor for a reason.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Women are great at acting. My thread is just about the fact that they are often miscast. And superhero movies don't even require great actors. (although it is appreciated) but breh mentioned Keanu earlier, we gonna act like Keanu is putting on an acting master class in his films? :comeon:
Point is Jonah Hill is not gonna be up for the same type of roles as Michael Jai White. But that doesn't seem to apply to women.

You closing statement
That is a great point.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
The Ms Marvel series was great. It received critical acclaim, and was literally a 1 to 1 replica of her comic book origin.
It flopped not because of bad writing or bad acting, but because they didn't have any greater audience appeal. due many of the reasons i listed.
Main one being she is simply not one of the favored toys in the marvel toybox. Not a big fandom behind her.

Nobody liked Ms marvel as a comic. So disney marvel failed because they do not understand male centric properties. Plus alienated the actual comic book audience. With the ms marvel character.

The disconnect between the audience of either ms marvel contributed to why ms marvel had poor reception with audience.

In the movie the marvels, she ramped. Yet given disney Marvel's inability and disconnect.
to create male centric properties. As well as no real discovery of the marvel ip. Disney marvel created even more disconnect.
Thr problem with disney marvel is. They have nonidea how to sell male centric based ip. Plus disney loses all concept of anything. When they make princess female driven properties.

That is what happened with ms marvel.
Disney suffered from disconnect as usual. With a male centric product. Then loses their mind. To start taking stoopid pills. trying to use girl power to cover up this disconnect.

Art Barr

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Some valid points especially the height thing and how those actresses are built

No disrespect to short people, but when we imagine a superhero we imagine it's at least above the average height, not some of out of shape 5ft actress who's built like a bumblebee. I noticed same problem in women's professional wrestling as well, where really short unathletic looking women with no impressive moves are out there beating much stronger looking women like it's nothing....come on, let's have at least some realism.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I noticed same problem in women's professional wrestling as well, where really short unathletic looking women with no impressive moves are out there beating much stronger looking women like it's nothing....come on, let's have at least some realism.

Which female wrestlers are you talking about? Alexa Bliss?

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
The Ms Marvel series was great. It received critical acclaim, and was literally a 1 to 1 replica of her comic book origin.
It flopped not because of bad writing or bad acting, but because they didn't have any greater audience appeal. due many of the reasons i listed.

:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Height has nothing to do with with beating people up. nice how you jumped past Keaton.

Pattinson physically looks like he would get stomped into the ground by Cavill or Affleck Or even Mamoa. But you’re not denying he’s Batman.

except the viewpoint your defending says martial arts knowledge makes it okay so 5’3 actresses can beat up grown men.

You didn’t guy waif thin Elodie Yung beating up guys as Elektra?

Bullshyt.

Nobody's taking Muggsy Bogues in a fight over fukking LeBron or Kevin Durant.

Stop, :stopitslime:

And the reason I skipped over Keaton was PLENTY of people questioned if he was the right person to play the role back then, but I suspect that you're too young to remember any of that.

Fact is being over 6'ft tall is one of the things that WOMEN themselves pick makes a man dateable & attractive to them.

That's why you'll often hear them say "six feet, six figures, six inches"

It all goes back to showing dominance & it's rare that you'll have a short king who's believable as being dominant as a tall man.

Every once in a while, you'll get a Mike Tyson or somebody who's short, but respected as an alpha male, but it's not as likely.

there's things that women are better than men at

acting, comedy, and sports are not among them. and i don't pretend i'd rather watch women do them :dead:
:whoa: Dude, a lot of the best actors ever have been actresses

Meryl Streep, Angela Bassett, Cicely Tyson, Helen Mirren
Most men don't want to see a female superhero, and that's just the hard truth
That's not true.

Put Jade Cargill or Rhea Ripley in the right vehicle

And you would print money

XKOBJSM.gif

Hell, I'd even argue Ronda Rousey or Sasha/Mercedes, because they have the reputation of being physical would do better than fukkin' Brie Larson or somebody:heh:

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
Bullshyt.

Nobody's taking Muggsy Bogues in a fight over fukking LeBron or Kevin Durant.

Stop, :stopitslime:

And the reason I skipped over Keaton was PLENTY of people questioned if he was the right person to play the role back then, but I suspect that you're too young to remember any of that.

Fact is being over 6'ft tall is one of the things that WOMEN themselves pick makes a man dateable & attractive to them.

That's why you'll often hear them say "six feet, six figures, six inches"

It all goes back to showing dominance & it's rare that you'll have a short king who's believable as being dominant as a tall man.

Every once in a while, you'll get a Mike Tyson or somebody who's short, but respected as an alpha male, but it's not as likely.

:whoa: Dude, a lot of the best actors ever have been actresses

Meryl Streep, Angela Bassett, Cicely Tyson, Helen Mirren

That's not true.

Put Jade Cargill or Rhea Ripley in the right vehicle

And you would print money

XKOBJSM.gif

Hell, I'd even argue Ronda Rousey or Sasha/Mercedes, because they have the reputation of being physical would do better than fukkin' Brie Larson or somebody:heh:

Goddamn you're such a low self esteem ass dork.

I Agree with all the above. Another reason IMO is the Boss lady phenomenon where alot of these characters start of as a bad ass, kicking but in the first scene without a proper hero's journey first.

It reminds me of a 90s action flick with Stallone or Schwarzenegger playing a flat stock character who kicks ass in the first scene. Those movies fell out of favor for a reason.

Yet those movies were still popular and adored.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody liked Ms marvel as a comic. So disney marvel failed because they do not understand male centric properties. Plus alienated the actual comic book audience. With the ms marvel character.

The disconnect between the audience of either ms marvel contributed to why ms marvel had poor reception with audience.

In the movie the marvels, she ramped. Yet given disney Marvel's inability and disconnect.
to create male centric properties. As well as no real discovery of the marvel ip. Disney marvel created even more disconnect.
Thr problem with disney marvel is. They have nonidea how to sell male centric based ip. Plus disney loses all concept of anything. When they make princess female driven properties.

That is what happened with ms marvel.
Disney suffered from disconnect as usual. With a male centric product. Then loses their mind. To start taking stoopid pills. trying to use girl power to cover up this disconnect.

Art Barr

Right. Disney’s stock in trade is happily ever after fairy tales, and that’s not what Marvel is.

Because of that disconnect, they’re making all of their movies and shows for Twitter instead of actual comicbook fans.

Disney is throwing just throwing things at the wall with no plan to see what sticks because they don’t understand the stories. They don’t understand morality, family, spirituality, or the hero’s journey. Jim Shooter marvel understood these things.

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Kamala Khan is definitely popular she’s with the Spider-Gwens, Miles, and Gwenpools. But of course there’s levels lol.

Kamala khan is not popular at all.
They want her to be popular.

If kamala khan was popular. The new xmen books would be sought after. As must read. Similar to storm's arc and comeuppance. Building to the eventual Lee, liefeld portacico xmen boom.
We would be close to another print based mutant boom. Plus that same fervor wpuld be felt. To make disney get an xmen film made ASAP. Plus woth high quality components.

Kamala khan is disney pr. They hope will catch one. Yet disney does not understand male properties to be successful. After following the same reasons.

marvel does not own themselves.
Plus being disney and not doing a discovery to fix it immediately. Even if they made this bryne like misstep.

Art Barr

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There’s another reason a lot of people don’t talk about…
5.) The omission of the hero’s journey.
(Shout out to @O.Red who puts it better than I can.)
Almost every fantasy/adventure/superhero styled protagonist in fiction follows the basic character arc laid out in the hero’s journey.

The problem is that a lot of modern writers writing female characters want their heroines to have all of the glory without any of the blood, sweat, and tears that it takes to get there. These characters tend to be overpowered with
no flaws—they’re always right, everyone loves them, and you never see them in real danger. These characters tend to be very selfish (“I belong…” “I deserve…”, “I am…” “My truth…”) and never have to learn from failure, sacrifice anything, or overcome any real adversity to accomplish their goals. They get everything handed to them too easily.

Think about all the L’s that Luke Skywalker, and Peter Parker had to take when they were starting out—and how they had to learn hard lessons about the consequences of being impatient and making selfish choices.
Remember how Alex Murphy caught the ultimate L and got lit up by Clarence Boddikker’s gang before he was RoboCop?
Think of how vulnerable John McClane was in Die Hard. That man spent the whole movie outnumbered and outgunned running around barefoot cutting his feet on broken glass.
Amuro (from Gundam) was a whiny, spoiled teenager until Bright Noa smacked the taste out of his mouth and told him to man up.

You don’t see that in a lot of movies or shows today because so many modern feminist writers are too egotistical to let their self-inserts be wrong about anything or take any real L’s. You already know the story will never put these types of characters in real danger so there will never be any stakes. Which makes their stories straight-up boring and predictable.

If you want to be a hero, you’ve got to struggle, sacrifice, train, learn from failure, get better, accept discipline, and overcome your character flaws to earn that.

The original animated Mulan got it right because Mulan was a character who put her life on the line for a selfless cause. She actually had to overcome real failure and adversity in order to become a hero. She went through the trenches to earn her hero cred.
The Bride in Kill Bill was another character who survived taking L’s, trained up, and overcame adversity to get revenge on all the bad guys. She EARNED her wins.

Im not saying this to come off sounding like one of those alt-right he-man-woman haters, because great stories about women deserve to be told. You just have to remember the hero’s journey.

Modern women don't want struggle. There is no journey nor character development.
Only glory and triumph