Top 4 Reasons Why Female Centric Super Hero Movies Are Often Trash.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Elon-Musk-1727870924566.jpg

the fact Tom Cruise was/is favorite pick to play Tony blows your argument apart

:coffee:

fd956b753c02e31a75944d9ff6d18960.jpg
:mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:

Elon “hair plugs” Musk Aka average tech guy?

Google him without his shirt on.

How tall is Tom cruise again? 6’2 on steroids? Short King?

Thanks for making my point.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I think you left a very important one out. A lot of these recent female leads have been mary sues

no discernable character flaws, no hero's journey, personal failings are out of their control. they're static and boring

rey from star wars being the biggest recent culprit

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
At the end of the day most of these action/superhero fantasy films are bad.

Arnold’s Conan film wasn’t better than Red Sonja or Mamoa’s Conan. But his is remembered more fondly because of his charisma.

The real problem is that most women’s power fantasies aren’t the same as mens. Being 6’0 and beating up a room of guys isn’t going to catch their attention 9/10. Holding a lightsaber and force pushes vs Grogu and the Mandalorian being dad goals tells you which one is more likely to draw a crowd of women to get their money.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Average tech guy? He’s a billionaire playboy and looks it.

There’s nothing average about Stark. Tony Stark in no iteration looked like Steve Jobs or Zuckerberg. You’re making this up.

Edit: the fact Tom Cruise was/is favorite pick to play Tony blows your argument apart

Tobey McGuire fits none of what you described as Spidey and yet “we” accepted him as Spidey
Playboy or tech guy, neither are expect to look like body builders.

Tom Cruise wouldn't have been a good pick for the role anyway and nobody is mad is didn't play him.
And he isn't a big dude either

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
You going to tell me Robert Pattinson, Keaton, Clooney looks like a man trained in all types of martial arts to peak physical presentation?
Affleck did. But they are all Batman.

That’s my point.

i said there’s allowed to be a variety of heights and body types.

Superman ain’t 5’5. Iron Man isn’t 5’8. But RDJ is.

There‘s no need for this “exception “ rule. They either suck or don’t. The movie sucks or it doesn’t.
Michael Keaton got criticism for being miscast as batman back in the day. so terrible choice.
Robert Pattinson is the second biggest actor to play batman after Aflax, he's not a little dude..
And Clooneys movie was panned.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Times then aren't what they are now and the rise of Incels over the years invalidates your argument as well.

If you want to pretend like that doesn't exist these days, then go right ahead.
Times have changed since Wonder Woman 1 came out? :comeon:

I'm not just talking about old movies like Kill Bill, Alien, Tomb Raider and the like.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Considering that was pre-covid and before the Capitol Riot happened, the answer is yes :mjlol:

I don't think you thought that one out before you responded.

7 years is a lot ass time and a lot of things have happened since then.
The Audience hasn't changed the formula film makers are taking has changed. Wonder Woman went for a team of directors (men and women), to a Female only directed film in the second movie with a clear chick flick angle instead of being a normal action movie. If they had kept the same formula for the sequal people wouldn't have hated it.
My entire point is that the film makers are fukking it up. The vocal minority of incels online are not stopping people from going to the theater.
And even if they did, their opinions is going to determine whether or not a film is good.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
6) They should hire directors that are capable of making action movies.

If the conductor loses tempo the symphony will falter.
A good action director will suspended your disbelief and turn your "Ain't no way:stopitslime:" to an "Oh shyt:gladbron:".

For female led superhero films they have been hiring female directors. I understand why they do that. After Black Panther I was most proud for Ryan Coogler's success. They have been hiring women directors that have found critical success in drama films. I'm pretty sure after the success of Barbie they want Greta Gerwig to do one.

For most of the male superhero films the directors at the helm were already proven by making action or horror films. These two genres depend on your suspension of disbelief or else the movie doesn't work. Both films also rely of visual effects which are a big part of superhero movies. They both also rely on larger than life villains.

There's no John McClane without Hans Gruber, Neo without Agent Smith, Kyle Reese without Terminator, Terminator without T-1000, Dutch without Predator, Demolition Man without Simon Phoenix....etc.

Female Director choices
Some female directors I hope Marvel/DC can get in the future.

Kathryn Bigelow is over qualified. I'm certain she was the first choice for both Marvel and Warner Brothers.

Lexi Alexander's Punisher: Warzone wasn't a great movie, but the action scenes were a huge improvement over the ones in the Thomas Jane Punisher.

In Revenge Coralie Fargeat created a tension filled climax when the hunted becomes the hunter. With the success of The Substance I would assume they approach her to direct a female led superhero movie.
WARNING NAKED DUDE

Other choices: Julia Docuornau(Titane), Mary Harron (American Psycho)

Directors That Know How to Use Women in Action Scenes
These two examples are cheating because imo they are #1 & #2 action directors.

In The Raid 2 Gareth Evans was able to create an intriguing female villain.

Julie Estelle only had 6 months of training for her fight scenes. She isn't an amazon by any means.

In The Night Comes for Us Timo Tjahjanto has Julie Estelle in the best fight scene I've ever seen with all women.

Timo Tjahjanto's next action movie, The Shadow Strays, stars a 19 year old girl that is the same size as Winona Ryder. She isn't a formal martial artist and I assume she only learned stuff to prepare for the role. Release October 17th on Netflix.

David S. Goyer flaws were hidden by Wesley Snipes' skills

In Blade 3 Jessica Biel certainly looked the part, and probably has 10+ pounds of muscle on all the MCU and DCU heroines. The movie doesn't hide her lack martial art skills too much. Its worse when they cut in-between her and the experienced martial artist Wesley Snipes fighting.

Someone talented in action movies like Matthew Vaughn is able to make 12 year old Chloë Grace Moretz a killing machine.

In Matthey Vaughn's Kingsman: The Secret Service he was able to make the 5'5 skinny Sofia Boutella look like a killing machine.

TLDR: A good action director can make you believe any woman is dangerous.

I mentioned this in another thread but it was more about films as a whole rather than being specific to female led films.
This is highly relevant to the Blade movie development hell.
They have passed on easy layups, but refusing to let the John Wick Director take the reigns, Instead they seem to be looking for a lgbt friendly Jordan Peele type to make Blade. Makes no sense for this type of character. I understand they like the have the race and gender of the director match the lead.
That works when the character's race and gender are central to story, like say black panther. But blade is just a dude with a sword killing vampires. He isn't about the black experience. The LGBT angle isn't something i'm bothered by, except i don't like how they seem to exclusively see non white male led movies as the greatest opportunity for it. straight Black men are not the leaders of the LBGTQ movement. You are already being inclusive by not having the standard white guy, white lady love interest formula. You don't need to check off every diversity box at once.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I mentioned this in another thread but it was more about films as a whole rather than being specific to female led films.
This is highly relevant to the Blade movie development hell.
They have passed on easy layups, but refusing to let the John Wick Director take the reigns, Instead they seem to be looking for a lgbt friendly Jordan Peele type to make Blade. Makes no sense for this type of character. I understand they like the have the race and gender of the director match the lead.
That works when the character's race and gender are central to story, like say black panther. But blade is just a dude with a sword killing vampires. He isn't about the black experience. The LGBT angle isn't something i'm bothered by, except i don't like how they seem to exclusively see non white male led movies as the greatest opportunity for it. straight Black men are not the leaders of the LBGTQ movement. You are already being inclusive by not having the standard white guy, white lady love interest formula. You don't need to check off every diversity box at once.
but mostly yeah, they keep forgetting these are supposed to be action movies. Not family comedies, not musicals, not sitcoms. Action films