Top 4 Reasons Why Female Centric Super Hero Movies Are Often Trash.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
But there’s a variety in male hero casting.

Not everyone is 6’2. Robert Downey or Tobey wasn’t knocked out for being 5’8 and not able to take a punch.

And none of them are in superhero shape except Garfield and Holland to do most of the non-CGI action aspects of the role.
Those are bad examples. Their characters aren’t supposed to be big guys. Stark is suppose to be an average tech guy. Spiderman is supposed to be 5’10 and slim nerdy high school kid. And holland is capable of the acrobatics

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:yeshrug: The character doesn’t have to be a A listed character. For people to be interested does it help yeah. But marvel has turned lesser known characters into household names.
They exaggerate “lesser known” iron man had animated movies, tv shows, toys and video games prior to his MCU debut. In addition to classic comic book arcs. Same with all the big three avengers. He wasn’t some z list throwaway character like Madam Web with very little in the way of source material.

The only actual no names that became successful was the guardians of the galaxy. Thats an aberration not the rule.

Last edited:

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
They exaggerate “lesser known” iron man had animated movies, tv shows, toys and video games prior to his MCU debut. In addition to classic comic book arcs. He wasn’t some z list throwaway character like Madam Web with very little in the way of source material.
A good writer and director can make any character work. Regardless if the character is lesser known or known that’s a fact.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
A good writer and director can make any character work. Regardless if the character is lesser known or known that’s a fact.
Only 1 has done it so far. Its rare and unessessary considering they have the right to everything now

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Those are bad examples. Their characters aren’t supposed to be big guys. Stark is suppose to be an average tech guy. Spiderman is supposed to be 5’10 and slim nerdy high school kid. And holland is capable of the acrobatics
Average tech guy? He’s a billionaire playboy and looks it.

There’s nothing average about Stark. Tony Stark in no iteration looked like Steve Jobs or Zuckerberg. You’re making this up.

Edit: the fact Tom Cruise was/is favorite pick to play Tony blows your argument apart

Tobey McGuire fits none of what you described as Spidey and yet “we” accepted him as Spidey

Last edited:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
Run Thru U Like Skattebo
Rule number 4 is easy to violate but not really necessary to. Considering both marvel and dc have the rights to all of their characters now.
Rule number 3 i kinda suggested you can violate it as long as the tiny petite actress is also an athlete or martial artist. I can accept a 5ft nothing gymnast doing somersaults
Rule number 2 i don't see a way around. If you expecting to be successful without getting the interest of the male audience you gonna need to do a genre that woman like more than the super hero genre.
Rule number 1 only supports rule number 2. but i can see ignoring it as long as you don't ignore all the others as well.
4) this is an opportunity to grow the value of dormant IP, reach a more diverse audience that normally dont like these movies, achieve more critical acclaim with edgier or more nuanced characters, and stave off 'super hero fatigue' due to novelty factor

3) you can pick characters that rely on magic or telekinesis or something else that isn't physical.

2) depends on definition of success. if you set the budget and expectations correctly, you can do more targeted things while achieving goals and making a profit

1) alien shows us that people will watch a movie that doesn't lean heavily on sex as long as everything else is firing on all cylinders. also, i haven't seen captain marvel but she did a billion while breaking rules from the little i have seen.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
There’s another reason a lot of people don’t talk about…
5.) The omission of the hero’s journey.
(Shout out to @O.Red who puts it better than I can.)
Almost every fantasy/adventure/superhero styled protagonist in fiction follows the basic character arc laid out in the hero’s journey.

The problem is that a lot of modern writers writing female characters want their heroines to have all of the glory without any of the blood, sweat, and tears that it takes to get there. These characters tend to be overpowered with
no flaws—they’re always right, everyone loves them, and you never see them in real danger. These characters tend to be very selfish (“I belong…” “I deserve…”, “I am…” “My truth…”) and never have to learn from failure, sacrifice anything, or overcome any real adversity to accomplish their goals. They get everything handed to them too easily.

Think about all the L’s that Luke Skywalker, and Peter Parker had to take when they were starting out—and how they had to learn hard lessons about the consequences of being impatient and making selfish choices.
Remember how Alex Murphy caught the ultimate L and got lit up by Clarence Boddikker’s gang before he was RoboCop?
Think of how vulnerable John McClane was in Die Hard. That man spent the whole movie outnumbered and outgunned running around barefoot cutting his feet on broken glass.
Amuro (from Gundam) was a whiny, spoiled teenager until Bright Noa smacked the taste out of his mouth and told him to man up.

You don’t see that in a lot of movies or shows today because so many modern feminist writers are too egotistical to let their self-inserts be wrong about anything or take any real L’s. You already know the story will never put these types of characters in real danger so there will never be any stakes. Which makes their stories straight-up boring and predictable.

If you want to be a hero, you’ve got to struggle, sacrifice, train, learn from failure, get better, accept discipline, and overcome your character flaws to earn that.

The original animated Mulan got it right because Mulan was a character who put her life on the line for a selfless cause. She actually had to overcome real failure and adversity in order to become a hero. She went through the trenches to earn her hero cred.
The Bride in Kill Bill was another character who survived taking L’s, trained up, and overcame adversity to get revenge on all the bad guys. She EARNED her wins.

Im not saying this to come off sounding like one of those alt-right he-man-woman haters, because great stories about women deserve to be told. You just have to remember the hero’s journey.

Last edited:

GR13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Average tech guy? He’s a billionaire playboy and looks it.

There’s nothing average about Stark. Tony Stark in no iteration looked like Steve Jobs or Zuckerberg. You’re making this up.

Edit: the fact Tom Cruise was/is favorite pick to play Tony blows your argument apart

Tobey McGuire fits none of what you described as Spidey and yet “we” accepted him as Spidey
Elon-Musk-1727870924566.jpg

the fact Tom Cruise was/is favorite pick to play Tony blows your argument apart

:coffee:

fd956b753c02e31a75944d9ff6d18960.jpg

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
There’s another reason a lot of people don’t talk about…
5.) The omission of the hero’s journey.
(Shout out to @O.Red who puts it better than I can.)
Almost every fantasy/adventure/superhero styled protagonist in fiction follows the basic character arc laid out in the hero’s journey.

The problem is that a lot of modern writers writing female characters want their heroines to have all of the glory without any of the blood, sweat, and tears that it takes to get there. These characters tend to be overpowered with
no flaws—they’re always right, everyone loves them, and you never see them in real danger. These characters tend to be very selfish (“I belong…” “I deserve…”, “I am…” “My truth…”) and never have to learn from failure, sacrifice anything, or overcome any real adversity to accomplish their goals. They get everything handed to them too easily.

Think about all the L’s that Luke Skywalker, and Peter Parker had to take when they were starting out—and how they had to learn hard lessons about the consequences of being impatient and making selfish choices.
Remember how Alex Murphy caught the ultimate L and got lit up by Clarence Boddikker’s gang before he was RoboCop?
Think of how vulnerable John McClane was in Die Hard. That man spent the whole movie outnumbered and outgunned running around barefoot cutting his feet on broken glass.
You don’t seem that in a lot of movies today because so many modern feminist writers are too egotistical to let their self-inserts be wrong about anything or take any real L’s. You already know the story will never put these types of characters in real danger so there will never be any stakes.

If you want to be a hero, you’ve got to struggle, sacrifice, train, learn from failure, and overcome your personal flaws/demons to earn that.

The original animated Mulan got it right because Mulan was a character who put her life on the line for a selfless cause. She actually had to overcome real failure and adversity in order to become a hero. She went through the trenches to earn her hero cred.
The Bride in Kill Bill was another character who survived taking L’s, trained up, and overcame adversity to get revenge on all the bad guys. She EARNED her wins.

Im not saying this to come off sounding like one of those alt-right he-man-woman haters, because great stories about women deserve to be told. You just have to remember the hero’s journey.
:ehh:@O.Red was spitting

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
6) They should hire directors that are capable of making action movies.

If the conductor loses tempo the symphony will falter.
A good action director will suspended your disbelief and turn your "Ain't no way:stopitslime:" to an "Oh shyt:gladbron:".

For female led superhero films they have been hiring female directors. I understand why they do that. After Black Panther I was most proud for Ryan Coogler's success. They have been hiring women directors that have found critical success in drama films. I'm pretty sure after the success of Barbie they want Greta Gerwig to do one.

For most of the male superhero films the directors at the helm were already proven by making action or horror films. These two genres depend on your suspension of disbelief or else the movie doesn't work. Both films also rely of visual effects which are a big part of superhero movies. They both also rely on larger than life villains.

There's no John McClane without Hans Gruber, Neo without Agent Smith, Kyle Reese without Terminator, Terminator without T-1000, Dutch without Predator, Demolition Man without Simon Phoenix....etc.

Female Director choices
Some female directors I hope Marvel/DC can get in the future.

Kathryn Bigelow is over qualified. I'm certain she was the first choice for both Marvel and Warner Brothers.

Lexi Alexander's Punisher: Warzone wasn't a great movie, but the action scenes were a huge improvement over the ones in the Thomas Jane Punisher.

In Revenge Coralie Fargeat created a tension filled climax when the hunted becomes the hunter. With the success of The Substance I would assume they approach her to direct a female led superhero movie.
WARNING NAKED DUDE

Other choices: Julia Docuornau(Titane), Mary Harron (American Psycho)

Directors That Know How to Use Women in Action Scenes
These two examples are cheating because imo they are #1 & #2 action directors.

In The Raid 2 Gareth Evans was able to create an intriguing female villain.

Julie Estelle only had 6 months of training for her fight scenes. She isn't an amazon by any means.

In The Night Comes for Us Timo Tjahjanto has Julie Estelle in the best fight scene I've ever seen with all women.

Timo Tjahjanto's next action movie, The Shadow Strays, stars a 19 year old girl that is the same size as Winona Ryder. She isn't a formal martial artist and I assume she only learned stuff to prepare for the role. Release October 17th on Netflix.

David S. Goyer flaws were hidden by Wesley Snipes' skills

In Blade 3 Jessica Biel certainly looked the part, and probably has 10+ pounds of muscle on all the MCU and DCU heroines. The movie doesn't hide her lack martial art skills too much. Its worse when they cut in-between her and the experienced martial artist Wesley Snipes fighting.

Someone talented in action movies like Matthew Vaughn is able to make 12 year old Chloë Grace Moretz a killing machine.

In Matthey Vaughn's Kingsman: The Secret Service he was able to make the 5'5 skinny Sofia Boutella look like a killing machine.

TLDR: A good action director can make you believe any woman is dangerous.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
6) They should hire directors that are capable of making action movies.

If the conductor loses tempo the symphony will falter.
A good action director will suspended your disbelief and turn your "Ain't no way:stopitslime:" to an "Oh shyt:gladbron:".

For female led superhero films they have been hiring female directors. I understand why they do that. After Black Panther I was most proud for Ryan Coogler's success. They have been hiring women directors that have found critical success in drama films. I'm pretty sure after the success of Barbie they want Greta Gerwig to do one.

For most of the male superhero films the directors at the helm were already proven by making action or horror films. These two genres depend on your suspension of disbelief or else the movie doesn't work. Both films also rely of visual effects which are a big part of superhero movies. They both also rely on larger than life villains.

There's no John McClane without Hans Gruber, Neo without Agent Smith, Kyle Reese without Terminator, Terminator without T-1000, Dutch without Predator, Demolition Man without Simon Phoenix....etc.

Female Director choices
Some female directors I hope Marvel/DC can get in the future.

Kathryn Bigelow is over qualified. I'm certain she was the first choice for both Marvel and Warner Brothers.

Lexi Alexander's Punisher: Warzone wasn't a great movie, but the action scenes were a huge improvement over the ones in the Thomas Jane Punisher.

In Revenge Coralie Fargeat created a tension filled climax when the hunted becomes the hunter. With the success of The Substance I would assume they approach her to direct a female led superhero movie.
WARNING NAKED DUDE

Other choices: Julia Docuornau(Titane), Mary Harron (American Psycho)

Directors That Know How to Use Women in Action Scenes
These two examples are cheating because imo they are #1 & #2 action directors.

In The Raid 2 Gareth Evans was able to create an intriguing female villain.

Julie Estelle only had 6 months of training for her fight scenes. She isn't an amazon by any means.

In The Night Comes for Us Timo Tjahjanto has Julie Estelle in the best fight scene I've ever seen with all women.

Timo Tjahjanto's next action movie, The Shadow Strays, stars a 19 year old girl that is the same size as Winona Ryder. She isn't a formal martial artist and I assume she only learned stuff to prepare for the role. Release October 17th on Netflix.

David S. Goyer flaws were hidden by Wesley Snipes' skills

In Blade 3 Jessica Biel certainly looked the part, and probably has 10+ pounds of muscle on all the MCU and DCU heroines. The movie doesn't hide her lack martial art skills too much. Its worse when they cut in-between her and the experienced martial artist Wesley Snipes fighting.

Someone talented in action movies like Matthew Vaughn is able to make 12 year old Chloë Grace Moretz a killing machine.

In Matthey Vaughn's Kingsman: The Secret Service he was able to make the 5'5 skinny Sofia Boutella look like a killing machine.

TLDR: A good action director can make you believe any woman is dangerous.

giphy.gif

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
But there’s a variety in male hero casting.

Not everyone is 6’2. Robert Downey or Tobey wasn’t knocked out for being 5’8 and not able to take a punch.

And none of them are in superhero shape except Garfield and Holland to do most of the non-CGI action aspects of the role.
Those dudes are supposed to be dorks & you know it. That's THEIR appeal

Superman is not played by a 5'5" weirdo

Neither is Captain America or Black Adam or Wolverine.

They're played by huge dudes ON STEROIDS for a reason.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Those dudes are supposed to be dorks & you know it. That's THEIR appeal

Superman is not played by a 5'5" weirdo

Neither is Captain America or Black Adam or Wolverine.

They're played by huge dudes ON STEROIDS for a reason.
You going to tell me Robert Pattinson, Keaton, Clooney looks like a man trained in all types of martial arts to peak physical presentation?
Affleck did. But they are all Batman.

That’s my point.

i said there’s allowed to be a variety of heights and body types.

Superman ain’t 5’5. Iron Man isn’t 5’8. But RDJ is.

There‘s no need for this “exception “ rule. They either suck or don’t. The movie sucks or it doesn’t.

Last edited: