Top 10 most segregated cities in the U.S.???

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
You are confusing having some bad ass hoods with being segregated. Black people live all over Memphis and Shelby County.
Right…the number of Black folks I know live in Cordova, Collierville, etc is way more than I knew say in the early 00s. Hell, I was shocked by all the white people I seen living in midtown a few yrs back

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
Segregated Cities Link

1. Detroit, Michigan
2. Hialeah, Florida
3. Newark, New Jersey
4. Chicago, Illinois
5. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6. Cleveland, Ohio
7. Miami, Florida
8. Birmingham, Alabama
9. New York City, New York
10. St. Louis, Missouri

What say you Coli?

8 of those cities are Democratic ran, besides the 2 in Florida.

Also from that list 22 of the 112 cities are in California.

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Ehhhh there is some truth to Memphis being high on that list as whites have made sure to segregate especially in the case of the school systems including creating their own and stripping resources from the less fortunate.

That’s not even getting into the aspect of homeownership and how it intentionally effects blacks even in the case of renting.
My cousin lives right off Kirby and that shyt look like a war zone. Literally drive two minutes around the corner and you got a Rolex shop and mad gated communities

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
So glad NYC was listed. Been saying for YEARS that all that kumbaya, pull up to the fiesta, cookout, Sunday dinner bullshyt is all fantasy. White people may live next door but they damn sure not fukking with YOU outside their respected circles. Mexicans, Asians and all in between feel the same way
True. But you're not really prevented from going to or living where ever you want in NYC.

Can't speak for Staten Island though

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A Black person can live anywhere they want to in Detroit
It's still segregated

Idk about Memphis
Memphis and for that matter most of the other Southern cities I have been in like Atlanta, Nashville, Orlando, Raleigh etc., are not segregated like the North. Other than finances nothing usually prevents a Black person from moving any place they want in most Southern cities. I can't explain why, but I assume that it is because White people and Black people in the South have always lived around each other.

Last edited:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Black people are not phased out in Collierville and Fayette County. Fayette County used to be predominantly Black and still has a sizeable Black population in Oakland, Somerville, etc. Collierville used to have a predominantly Black population until White started acquiring land an building homes. All of this has just happened in the last 20 to 30 years.

I didn’t say in Collierville I said way east past Collierville. If you compare the surrounding faces of Shelby and Desoto county to Fayette County you can see why I said what I said in regards to the supposed segregation of Memphis.

And when we talking about segregation and where people live now, 2024 is a lot more relevant than 1994.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
What does it mean by most/least segregation? Even looking at the map, I click on a district thats red, and i see some places have pretty even distribution, then I see some that are blue and its mostly 1 race...

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
8 of those cities are Democratic ran, besides the 2 in Florida.
And how many of those are Republican controlled states? We can play this game all day. Memphis in particular could be what cacs have made Nashville but the state house and exec branch pretend like the state ends where Jackson begins and eastward.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
And how many of those are Republican controlled states? We can play this game all day. Memphis in particular could be what cacs have made Nashville but the state house and exec branch pretend like the state ends where Jackson begins and eastward.

All these political parties are working for white supremacy and it's black folks that get the worst end of every situation they create.

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Detroit ranks high for sure. Still weird when I moved away. Had to adjust to the lack of blackness around. Outside of some teachers and a few randoms spread around the neighborhood, I legitimately didn’t have regular interaction with YTs until my 20s. Ironically I also really miss authentic middle eastern food since it was also a very regular thing to be able to get.

I noticed that too when I used to live in Detroit and left to travel or moved away.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Then the list is bullshyt. My family has been from that area for the last 200 years since slavery days when they came over from North Carolina and Virginia. My people live in the surrounding counties the where White people ran to so the list is bullshyt. You are confusing the hood with a city being truly segregated like a Chicago. A truly segregated city is one where you can't or you are strongly discouraged from moving into a neighborhood because you are Black. A Black person can live anywhere they want in Memphis.
I feel like this was true up untill the 90s or early 00s.

Nowadays you see black people in areas that we never used to be at like in Naperville, evergreen park, south Holland, certain part of NWI, other areas too. Granted these are the suburbs and technically not chicago though.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
What does it mean by most/least segregation? Even looking at the map, I click on a district thats red, and i see some places have pretty even distribution, then I see some that are blue and its mostly 1 race...

What does Segregation Categories measure?​

Racial segregation and integration

More Details​

Integration and Segregation are not necessarily opposite concepts. A place could have a low level of measure segregation and yet not reflect what we would intuitively describe as “integrated.” This is because some places with little racial segregation may be racially homogeneous, with little underlying diversity to facilitate segregation.
The Divergence Index does a good job of indicating the separation of groups across space, but cannot, by itself, indicate if a place is truly “integrated.” For that reason, we have created a functionally “new” measure of integration for our map, a combination of both the Entropy Score and the Divergence Index.
We define as “integrated,” and not simply low levels of segregation, as any place: 1) in the bottom third in Divergence Index nationally, with 2) an Entropy score in the top 50% nationally, 3) and at least 20% Black and Latino population. We believe this combination of characteristics helps us identify places that are meaningfully integrated, not just the absence of segregation.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Speaking of Detroit, I visited and wasn't really impressed by the city, but the more I heard about it from black folks it seemed to be another situation where white flight took place and they tried to leave it to decay, now they are trying to move back in and take over the downtown area again, raising prices.

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter

4 are Republican controlled states and 5 are Democratic controlled states, Florida has 2 cities. Also, 6 out of the top 10 cities are not in the south, they are up north and in the Mid-West. Both sides are the same.

1. Detroit, Michigan is Democratic ran
2. Hialeah, Florida is Republican ran
3. Newark, New Jersey is Democratic ran
4. Chicago, Illinois is Democratic ran
5. Milwaukee, Wisconsin is Democratic ran
6. Cleveland, Ohio is Republican ran
7. Miami, Florida is Republican ran
8. Birmingham, Alabama is Republican ran
9. New York City, New York is Democratic ran
10. St. Louis, Missouri is Republican ran