Top 10 most segregated cities in the U.S.???

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Ehhhh there is some truth to Memphis being high on that list as whites have made sure to segregate especially in the case of the school systems including creating their own and stripping resources from the less fortunate.

That’s not even getting into the aspect of homeownership and how it intentionally effects blacks even in the case of renting.

Grand Cru Boo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk New Yawk
So glad NYC was listed. Been saying for YEARS that all that kumbaya, pull up to the fiesta, cookout, Sunday dinner bullshyt is all fantasy. White people may live next door but they damn sure not fukking with YOU outside their respected circles. Mexicans, Asians and all in between feel the same way

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's not just talking about restricting black people from living places breh. Sometimes people just move out of a place and an another group is all that's left.
That is just broke people that can't afford to leave a dilapidated neighborhood. That is not the same as segregation by force like in Northern cities where you literally can not buy homes and live in certain neighborhoods an communities. In Memphis if you have money then you can live anywhere you want to live. You are not boxed into neighborhoods just because you are Black.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
That is just broke people that can't afford to leave a dilapidated neighborhood. That is not the same as segregation by force like in Northern cities where you literally can not buy homes and live in certain neighborhoods an communities. In Memphis if you have money then you can live anywhere you want to live. You are not boxed into neighborhoods just because you are Black.

What city do you live in that's on this list?

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Oh that explains that. A list by a bunch of suburban White people.

Running interference for no reason.

Memphis has the same thing going on that happened in Birmingham. White folks left the inner city decades ago for the suburbs. That's how they did it in the South in every city. Black folks crept out into the suburbs over time.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What city do you live in that's on this list?
I grew up in Chicago. I spent most of my adult life there. Memphis and Chicago are not on the same spectrum when it comes to housing discrimination. In fact I have not seen Southern Cities that are as segregated in housing like Northern cities

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Oh that explains that. A list by a bunch of suburban White people.
the 2019 one is based on census data and not just reddit opinions.

growing up in cleveland, i had no idea how little a had to deal with with white folks until i was in my 20's and went to art school. then i moved to LA (hollywood and kotown) and only saw black folks when i went to inglewood/leimert

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Weird because there is way more diversity in chicago walking around...than say...Scottsdale.

Atleast we (chicago/new york) have the diversity of races to even make their own little areas aswell as have presence in say..river north. Whereas these southern states are just plain white, yet don't get called segregated because that's all they have

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Weird because there is way more diversity in chicago walking around...than say...Scottsdale.

Atleast we (chicago/new york) have the diversity of races to even make their own little areas aswell as have presence in say..river north. Whereas these southern states are just plain white, yet don't get called segregated because that's all they have

Know you haven't been to the south.

Calling the blackest part of the country white.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Running interference for no reason.

Memphis has the same thing going on that happened in Birmingham. White folks left the inner city decades ago for the suburbs. That's how they did it in the South in every city. Black folks crept out into the suburbs over time.
Most Black people in the South moved into those cities from the surrounding countryside. So they were not creeping into any suburbs, because there were not any suburbs there. It was just the City and the surrounding countryside where the people lived. As time went on Memphis and Shelby County started annexing land and little towns around there became the suburbs that you see there now. But Black people have always lived in those towns even before they were annexed.