Top 10 most segregated cities in the U.S.???

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the 2019 one is based on census data and not just reddit opinions.

growing up in cleveland, i had no idea how little a had to deal with with white folks until i was in my 20's and went to art school. then i moved to LA (hollywood and kotown) and only saw black folks when i went to inglewood/leimert
There is a difference between being segregated where you can't move into a community because of spoken or unspoken reasons; versus being segregated because you are financially unable to move.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Most Black people in the South moved into those cities from the surrounding countryside. So they were not creeping into any suburbs, because there were not any suburbs there. It was just the City and the surrounding countryside where the people lived. As time went on Memphis and Shelby County started annexing land and little towns around there became the suburbs that you see there now. But Black people have always lived in those towns even before they were annexed.

When black folks started living in the cities for the jobs white people starting building suburbs to get away.
Nearly every major city in the south developed like that. Over time black folks along with other groups moved into the suburbs. White people mostly kept moving out further into more suburbs.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When black folks started living in the cities for the jobs white people starting building suburbs to get away.
Nearly every major city in the south developed like that. Over time black folks along with other groups moved into the suburbs. White people mostly kept moving out further into more suburbs.
I am literally from the area that you are writing so eloquently about and I am telling you that White people suburbs were built into towns that already had sizeable Black populations. If you go anywhere east of Memphis, except for Germantown, you run into areas that had sizeable Black populations. Places like Collierville, Cordova and all the way out in place like Eads and into Fayette County towns like Oakland. Those areas were heavily Black when White people moved there.

Last edited:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I don't need to ask them. I just told you the list is bullshyt, because a segregated city is one in which you can not or are strongly encouraged not to move into certain neighborhoods. That is Northern cities. That is not Memphis or Shelby County. You can live anywhere you want in Memphis or Shelby County. Nobody cares.

I knew that was some BS when I saw Memphis on the list. Memphis is one city where no matter where you live nikkas is right around the corner. You have to go all the way east past collierville into Fayette county before black folks get phased out.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
I knew that was some BS when I saw Memphis on the list. Memphis is one city where no matter where you live nikkas is right around the corner. You have to go all the way east past collierville into Fayette county before black folks get phased out.

How is that proving the list wrong when you just described white flight?
They pretty much gave Memphis to black folks over the last half century.
Just another form of segregation. Self segregation.

Last edited:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
How is that proving the list wrong when you just described white flight?
They pretty much gave Memphis to black folks over the last half decade.
Just another form of segregation. Self segregation.

How did I describe white flight? I said nikkas are everywhere around Memphis and you need to go way out into a specific different county before you start seeing less black faces.

Oh you must have took that as white people are running out into Fayette county. Ummm no, aint shyt out there but farms and woods.

Memphis is mixed, go north into Tipton County and it’s mixed, south into Desoto County and it’s mixed. The only area not mixed is the area I mentioned where hardly anyone lives or wants to live.

What is segregated is the school system though. They have expensive ass private schools everywhere that white folks send their kids to. But as i said, the areas surrounding those schools are mixed.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Black people are not phased out in Collierville and Fayette County. Fayette County used to be predominantly Black and still has a sizeable Black population in Oakland, Somerville, etc. Collierville used to have a predominantly Black population until White started acquiring land an building homes. All of this has just happened in the last 20 to 30 years.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not really shocked about chicago.

Even the neighborhoods that are mixed or diverse on paper are still pretty segregated whether it's socially or by some physical barrier like a viaduct.

Nyc is segregated too, the way the city is set up, you're kind of forced to rub elbows with different types of people whether you want to or not. San Francisco/ bay area is the only other region that I can think of that has a similar set up with it being densely populated and having a compressed topography.
And There are areas like that in chicago too, but there are huge swaths of neighborhoods that are all black and you can be in your own world totally unaware of the rest of the diversity that exists in the city. Same with the white people who live in these yuppified hoods up on the north side.

But both cities and most northern cities in general are much more segregated than these post WW2 built southern cities.

brickfare

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
north north
Memphis? Nah.

You are confusing having some bad ass hoods with being segregated. Black people live all over Memphis and Shelby County.

As a matter of fact I am usually surprised to see Southern cities on those type of lists, because as weird as it might seem Black people usually live all over the place in the South. It is the North where you usually the segregated neighborhoods.
There are still some zip codes here where you’ll struggle to find black folks

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How did I describe white flight? I said nikkas are everywhere around Memphis and you need to go way out into a specific different county before you start seeing less black faces.

Oh you must have took that as white people are running out into Fayette county. Ummm no, aint shyt out there but farms and woods.

Memphis is mixed, go north into Tipton County and it’s mixed, south into Desoto County and it’s mixed. The only area not mixed is the area I mentioned where hardly anyone lives or wants to live.

What is segregated is the school system though. They have expensive ass private schools everywhere that white folks send their kids to. But as i said, the areas surrounding those schools are mixed.
I used to go out to my people farms and houses in Fayette County and Collierville. That area used to be almost all Black until white people started buying up farms and building homes out there 20 to 30 years ago.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Detroit ranks high for sure. Still weird when I moved away. Had to adjust to the lack of blackness around. Outside of some teachers and a few randoms spread around the neighborhood, I legitimately didn’t have regular interaction with YTs until my 20s. Ironically I also really miss authentic middle eastern food since it was also a very regular thing to be able to get.
I be shocked when I find out Black kids in other states went to school with white people

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Then the list is bullshyt. My family has been from that area for the last 200 years since slavery days when they came over from North Carolina and Virginia. My people live in the surrounding counties the where White people ran to so the list is bullshyt. You are confusing the hood with a city being truly segregated like a Chicago. A truly segregated city is one where you can't or you are strongly discouraged from moving into a neighborhood because you are Black. A Black person can live anywhere they want in Memphis.
A Black person can live anywhere they want to in Detroit
It's still segregated

Idk about Memphis