To this day, I'm the ONLY person to say "Big Papa" by Biggie was blatantly biting west coast sound.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
LISTEN TO THE KING TEE JOINT N THEN THE PE JOINT WIT N OPEN MIND N ASK
YASELF WHICH SOUNDS WEST COAST

My Dude. I already stated Cube said they jacked Bring The Noise for F The Police because they were trying to sound like PE......So who am I gonna belive..You or Cube?
:mjlol:
........U can be in denial all u want but lets look at facts. Cubes first album in 1990 was produced by Bomb Squad.
So thats a classic west coast album with a PE sound. The Bomb Squad influenced your sound. Ask me if Amerikkkas Most Wanted sounds west coast.

:heh:

U asking me about Whats the West Coast Sound in 87/88? Is It Eazy E's Boyz N The Hood? Well NYC did that first too. And we all know this beat is more recognized by the younger crowd for being associated with Eazy E. So one of the popular "sounds" from LA in 88 was a beat we did 2 years prior.

:sas2:

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps
Big Boi and Dre 3000 said he stole the "throw you're hands in the air" shyt from them.

nikkas was gettin stuck up at parties wit that line :russ:

Silver Fox Interview With Troy L. Smith

Who or what made you start to appreciate and want to be apart of Hip Hop?

See I left to live in Alaska because my wife was in the service and this was before Hip Hop really jumped off. Before I left for Alaska, Hip hop was in it’s infancy with the D.J. getting all the shine. So when I came back to Harlem I happened to walk pass Paul Winley’s record shop where everyone was making records such as Rhyming and Rappin by Mr. Winley’s daughters and The Zulu Throw down by Bam and his crews. So as I was listening to it I was amazed because this was before The Fox. I was like Man this is what they're doing now! I was becoming acclimated to the culture just coming back from Alaska. One day I went back to my wife’s old neighborhood in Edenwald projects in the Bronx and I took a stroll over to Gun Hill Road to attend a party. Mele Mel was there with Flash and the rest of the Furious Five. The thing that I remember very clearly was the whole party got stuck up.

Who did the stick up?

I don’t know I guess it was Mele Mel’s boys because he was on the mic and he said,

“Now throw your hands in the air and wave em like you just don’t care!

Then he said, “Now keep them there!”

And the lights came on dudes were sticking people up!

You actually hear Mel say “now keep them there”?

Yeah keep them there!

You actually heard Mel's voice say now keep them there as The Casanova’s were sticking up the party?

As they were sticking n------ up! So it was as if all these people coming from all over town to see them were coming there to get stuck up.

I always heard that cats were getting robbed at a Furious Five party but I never heard the Furious 5 members were apart of the actual stick-up!

Nah they did, I remember this clear as day. It was a shock, I saw people get punched in their face right in front of me and I am standing there thinking I’m going to be the next person. (Silver Fox is laughing.)

So you had your hands up too?

Nah I was just standing there new to this.

In shock watching this also?

Yeah, people were screaming and yelling. A n----- walked pass me and looked me in my eye as if to say, “I can do this if I want to” and then continued robbing people. I was like o.k.! (Silver Fox humbly laughs.)

So if this is Gun Hill Road, it was probably The T- Connection?

(Silver Fox erupts.) Yeah that’s the place. The party was rocking, it was like 2 in the morning when they said, “Put your hands in the air and wave them like you just don’t care. Now leave them there!” And the thing about it, Mel was really rocking and I wanted to stay till the end of the party and see this guy who was crazy good. Mel had a big afro and a commanding voice. He just kept rocking and Flash was cutting, and he had the old school beat box with the white buttons and I was intrigued.

So how long did you stay?

I stayed until I saw an opportunity to get out the door.

MELE MEL

JQ: Yes....I have all his albums....G Rap is the truth. What do you think of the current thug imagery in rap?

Mele Mel:
Let me tell you something...thugs and killers dont make records . If you got on the mic back in the days with all that "im a thug" shyt ; the real thug nikkas in the crowd would have fukked you up. None of these nikkas are that hard ....no one is that hard . I remember when the Casanovas would stand in the bathroom of the club and rob everybody that came in the bathroom and dare anybody to call the police. nikkas would be high on angel dust and come in the club with a gun and make the Emcee say their name on the mic . Sometimes you would hear us shoutin out various nikkas on the mic....you might have been like who is that.....it was somebody that would put a hole in your head if you didnt say their name !! People thought that we were down with the Casanovas....we were scared of the Casanovas !!!

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
My Dude. I already stated Cube said they jacked Bring The Noise for F The Police because they were trying to sound like PE......So who am I gonna belive..You or Cube?
:mjlol:
........U can be in denial all u want but lets look at facts. Cubes first album in 1990 was produced by Bomb Squad.
So thats a classic west coast album with a PE sound. The Bomb Squad influenced your sound. Ask me if Amerikkkas Most Wanted sounds west coast.

:heh:

U asking me about Whats the West Coast Sound in 87/88? Is It Eazy E's Boyz N The Hood? Well NYC did that first too. And we all know this beat is more recognized by the younger crowd for being associated with Eazy E. So one of the popular "sounds" from LA in 88 was a beat we did 2 years prior.

:sas2:

NAAH AMERIKKKAZ MOST WANTED DOESNT SOUND WEST COAST .. THATS NEITHER HERE NOT THERE

THE TEA KETTLE SOUND BEIN COMPARED TO G-FUNK WHISTLES IS STILL A REACH - F THE POLICE WASNT G-FUNK WHISTLES EITHER, THE G-FUNK WHISTLE COMES FROM 70S WAVE SYNTHESIZERS USED BY PARLIMENT. THAT IS NOT WHAT PE WAS DOIN AT ALL LOL.

BOYZ N DA HOOD CAME BEFORE THE WEST COAST REALLY FOUND ITS SOUND, BUT DRE’S VERSION SOUNDS WAY MORE REFINED ALA WEST COAST SHIIT.. THE STAPLE WEST COAST SOUND REALLY BECAME PREVALENT IN THE EARLY 90S.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Only Juicy and Big Poppa was smooth..everything else about Biggie was pure cold grimy hard-core hip hop

ucanthandlethetruth

Failure is not a option
Daps
Reppin
Planet of Hip Hop
That I know of.

I was saying it when this song first dropped. Nobody I knew was able to pick up on it.

And so was Hypnotized, and obviously going back to Cali. I think the whole east vs. west hurt Big inside because he had love for L.A. and wanted to be accepted. And its probably why he went back not log after Pac got killed because he probably figured there would be unity on both sides.

No i'm not.

Your thread title says

"Blatantly-biting-west-coast-sound"

How the hell could it be biting if it started here? That makes no sense.

U even pointed out the change after 92. Well duh! Where do u think that "gangsta boogie" influence came from?

EPMD summer 92...Listen to the beat after the hook

Redman Fall 92. And when this came out it was an "east coast" sound yet in 2019 it sounds west coast.

Meanwhile summer 92 MC Ren was jacking the Bronx BDP sound for his first single. U dont here whistles or 'gangster boogie"..its an updated version of some Bronx shyt.

Late 92 Eazy E was doing East coast friendly sounding shyt

Cube was the only one who kept those whistles going before The Chronic. But technically this was just a re amped version of the Funky Worm sample from Dope Man.

Now I get what u saying...Puffy and Biggie made a track that had a west coast vibe because the west was hot at the time and it made sense to do that....I get it. But u cant say they were "biting" a sound that originated here. When "If I could just kill a man" and "Jump Around" dropped........The loudeness of those songs sounded like something from the Bomb Squad. So by the time you get to "Insane In the Membrain" in 93 the whistles were now a west coast staple...But u had Quik, Pharcyde, Souls of Mischeif and they weren't doing that sound at all.

Facts.. you kicked the ball over the fence:ehh: wasn't there an era b4 the pfunk where the west coast was copying the Miami bass wave also? I seem to remember knockoffs like supersonic and other fast 808 type records coming from cali. I'm summa lumma neema lumma :deadrose: when exactly did the jersey /Ohio pfunk sound aka West coast sound transition exactly happen?:patrice: the epmd/pe thing brings truth to the revisionist history and deserves its own thread being its probably one of the biggest misconceptions in hip hope

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
biggie... notorious b.i.g cam from the mutha fukikin notorious d.r.e .... line from nwas find um fukk um flee

plus biggies whole entire flow is king tee...

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
biggie... notorious b.i.g cam from the mutha fukikin notorious d.r.e .... line from nwas find um fukk um flee

plus biggies whole entire flow is king tee...

Nah. Musically he might've had a little influence on Big when first came on the scene. But Big's hip hop tree or lineage comes from Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick, & Heavy D. And I'd mix in G-Rap too

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
NAAH AMERIKKKAZ MOST WANTED DOESNT SOUND WEST COAST .. THATS NEITHER HERE NOT THERE

THE TEA KETTLE SOUND BEIN COMPARED TO G-FUNK WHISTLES IS STILL A REACH - F THE POLICE WASNT G-FUNK WHISTLES EITHER, THE G-FUNK WHISTLE COMES FROM 70S WAVE SYNTHESIZERS USED BY PARLIMENT. THAT IS NOT WHAT PE WAS DOIN AT ALL LOL.

BOYZ N DA HOOD CAME BEFORE THE WEST COAST REALLY FOUND ITS SOUND, BUT DRE’S VERSION SOUNDS WAY MORE REFINED ALA WEST COAST SHIIT.. THE STAPLE WEST COAST SOUND REALLY BECAME PREVALENT IN THE EARLY 90S.

breh doesn't have a sound...

dre took from the techno...n p.e sound in the cube era of nwa

when cube left..he adapted to above the law sound...

he took it to death row with him

sam sneed came that sound change..

he went to aftermath that..em team came in the mix... scott storch came....

dre doesn't have a signature trademark sound...unlike quik and his kick snare kick snare drums or the synths..

or the chop entrance that pharrell...

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
breh doesn't have a sound...

dre took from the techno...n p.e sound in the cube era of nwa

when cube left..he adapted to above the law sound...

he took it to death row with him

sam sneed came that sound change..

he went to aftermath that..em team came in the mix... scott storch came....

dre doesn't have a signature trademark sound...unlike quik and his kick snare kick snare drums or the synths..

or the chop entrance that pharrell...

THIS IS A LIE.. ABOVE THE LAW AND DRE DEVELOPED G-FUNK TOGETHER, BUT DRE WAS MORE RESPONSIBLE

BEFORE THAT, THE NWA SOUND MIGHTVE BORROWED ELEMENTS FROM PE, BUT IT WAS WAYY DOPER N MUCH DIFF OVERALL

THEN THE EARLY AFTERMATH ORCHESTRA ERA DRE CAME WIT WHICH U CAN FALSELY CREDIT TO HIS SESSION PLAYERS, BUT HE’S THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT

AND AGAIN, 2001 PIANO HEAVY SOUND THAT TOOK OVER THE EARLY 2000S

DRE IS LITERALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR USHERING IN 3 DIFF ERAS OF RAP

HE AINT THE GOAT BY MISTAKE BRODIE

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Facts.. you kicked the ball over the fence:ehh: wasn't there an era b4 the pfunk where the west coast was copying the Miami bass wave also? I seem to remember knockoffs like supersonic and other fast 808 type records coming from cali. I'm summa lumma neema lumma :deadrose: when exactly did the jersey /Ohio pfunk sound aka West coast sound transition exactly happen?:patrice: the epmd/pe thing brings truth to the revisionist history and deserves its own thread being its probably one of the biggest misconceptions in hip hope

I ALREADY DISCREDITED THAT POST BRUH

LA WAS DOIN THAT WAY BEFORE EPMD

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:stopitslime:

You're playing stupid. Dope Man wasn't Synth...it was a sample.Just like PEs "rebel without a pause" was a sample.

Dope Man sampled that synth style that came to be a main trait of G-funk. Those PE songs that sound like a whistle sampled a horn

So u trying to intergrate sample and synth right now is u reaching. PE sampled first..Dre sampled after. Dre didnt synth shyt on Dope Man and u know it.

This is the sample right here.....Dre didnt play this on no fuking keyboard, he sampled it.

timestamped....

see above