To this day, I'm the ONLY person to say "Big Papa" by Biggie was blatantly biting west coast sound.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
you're making 2 separate arguments.

And NWA/Ice Cube 1988-92 circa sound nothing like what they did for the rest of the 90's.

No i'm not.

Your thread title says

"Blatantly-biting-west-coast-sound"

How the hell could it be biting if it started here? That makes no sense.

U even pointed out the change after 92. Well duh! Where do u think that "gangsta boogie" influence came from?

EPMD summer 92...Listen to the beat after the hook

Redman Fall 92. And when this came out it was an "east coast" sound yet in 2019 it sounds west coast.

Meanwhile summer 92 MC Ren was jacking the Bronx BDP sound for his first single. U dont here whistles or 'gangster boogie"..its an updated version of some Bronx shyt.

Late 92 Eazy E was doing East coast friendly sounding shyt

Cube was the only one who kept those whistles going before The Chronic. But technically this was just a re amped version of the Funky Worm sample from Dope Man.

Now I get what u saying...Puffy and Biggie made a track that had a west coast vibe because the west was hot at the time and it made sense to do that....I get it. But u cant say they were "biting" a sound that originated here. When "If I could just kill a man" and "Jump Around" dropped........The loudeness of those songs sounded like something from the Bomb Squad. So by the time you get to "Insane In the Membrain" in 93 the whistles were now a west coast staple...But u had Quik, Pharcyde, Souls of Mischeif and they weren't doing that sound at all.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
No i'm not.

Your thread title says

U even pointed out the change after 92. Well duh! Where do u think that "gangsta boogie" influence came from?

Redman Fall 92. And when this came out it was an "east coast" sound yet in 2019 it sounds west coast.

Meanwhile summer 92 MC Ren was jacking the Bronx BDP sound for his first single. U dont here whistles or 'gangster boogie"..its an updated version of some Bronx shyt.

Cube was the only one who kept those whistles going before The Chronic. But technically this was just a re amped version of the Funky Worm sample from Dope Man.

Now I get what u saying...Puffy and Biggie made a track that had a west coast vibe because the west was hot at the time and it made sense to do that....I get it. But u cant say they were "biting" a sound that originated here. When "If I could just kill a man" and "Jump Around" dropped........The loudeness of those songs sounded like something from the Bomb Squad. So by the time you get to "Insane In the Membrain" in 93 the whistles were now a west coast staple...But u had Quik, Pharcyde, Souls of Mischeif and they weren't doing that sound at all.

FALL OF 92? U BEIN SERIOUS? WE WERE DOIN THAT SOUND IN THE 80S

Last edited:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
FALL OF 92? U BEIN SERIOUS? WE WERE DOIN THAT SOUND IN THE 80S

:stopitslime:

Where?

Who?

I just gave u a timeline and u respond by saying bullshyt with no proof.

So who was doing it? Tone Loc? Too Short? Hammer? Young Mc?

Who?

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
No i'm not.

Your thread title says

Yeah, the sounds definitely bounced back and forth.

Pre Gfunk, west coast shyt sounded like Bomb Squad...hell, Shock G, humpty hump sounded like some straight New York shyt.

Big Poppa sounded like west coast shyt because of the sin wave whistle in the chorus. Ready to Die in general sounded like an Ice Cube record...but Ice Cube's shyt sounded like a Public Enemy record.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
:stopitslime:

Where?

Who?

I just gave u a timeline and u respond by saying bullshyt with no proof.

So who was doing it? Tone Loc? Too Short? Hammer? Young Mc?

Who?

LOL U TRIPPIN BRUH

^OG VERSION OF THIS JOINT IS FROM 87 N IS ACTUALLY ON THE MORE BOUNCE BEAT

CMON NOW

Last edited:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
LOL U TRIPPIN BRUH

CMON NOW

I'm ignoring those first 2 bullshyt songs u posted cuz they dont have shyt to do with that "gangsta boogie" sound I'm refering to. (Saying "gangsta Boogie" on the hook dont count. That aint what i'm talking about. )

:camby:

Now....Find something from the west that came before this song. You cant do it. You posted a bunch of songs that came "after" not before. Even the 2 bullshyt songs u posted sound nothing like this..

So this right here is NYC first......The influence of those "gangster Boogie" claps came from the popularity of this song.

And thats going off topic......We weren't originally talking about "gangsta boogie" we were talking about the whistles.

Lets go 1990.

On Above the laws song....we hear those whistles

But that same year Cube had "Jacking For Beats"

Now this is were the bullshyt ends......Cube samples the More Bounce sample from Xclan....Not EPMD not another west coast rapper. So More Bounce was already raped by 2 east coast groups before he made that song. Then on top of that Cube borrows "So what u saying"..So Thats 2 EPMD samples on 1 song...Mind you...Cube is #1 solo west coast around this time. If those whistles were such a "west coast" sound then why did the #1 solo jack 2 songs from East Coast epmd ? Why didnt he jack Above The Law with the whistles? You dont even hear those whistles on NWAs "100 Miles" which was around the same time. Nor do u hear them on Cubes first album or his EP. The only west coast song he borrowed was "Humpty Dance" which has those "gangsat boogie" claps....But again....we already pointed out EPMD brought that gangsta boogie sound to the forefront.

By the time u get to MC Breeds "Future in ya frontin" do u have both..the gangsta boogie...and the whistles...But this is just a combination of More Bounce and The Funky Worm sample. And I already discussed the root of both of those samples

Last edited:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Common sense..its why westcoast nyggas loved some of his big tracks when the West ruled everything. Biggie saved the eastcoast..that's why he's so loved today. They were getting murdered by Snoop, Westside Connection, Dogg Pound, Domino, Too Short, E 40, and then Tupac took utterly over with Me Against the World and All Eyez On Me. Juicy and Big Poppa gave the eastcoast life...Jay Z was putting out Sunshine in some wannabe Mase like outfit but Biggie was on fire. I thought Victory SUCKED but everything else was pretty hot...Junior Mafia and Player's Anthem was blazing. Lil Kim started dropping serious heat too...

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Um LA did fukk with Biggie. I got mad cousins in Carson, Compton, South Central. They all bumped Biggie when he was alive
I was in San Diego and was spitting those Biggie Big Poppa lyrics at Puerto Rican Dahlia...he was on fire, no doubt. But so was the Luniz and Bone Thugs too....

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
I'm ignoring those first 2 bullshyt songs u posted cuz they dont have shyt to do with that "gangsta boogie" sound I'm refering to. (Saying "gangsta Boogie" on the hook dont count. That aint what i'm talking about. )

Now....Find something from the west that came before this song. You cant do it. You posted a bunch of songs that came "after" not before. Even the 2 bullshyt songs u posted sound nothing like this..

So this right here is NYC first......The influence of those "gangster Boogie" claps came from the popularity of this song.

And thats going off topic......We weren't originally talking about "gangsta boogie" we were talking about the whistles.

Lets go 1990.

Now this is were the bullshyt ends......Cube samples the More Bounce sample from Xclan....Not EPMD not another west coast rapper. So More Bounce was already raped by 2 east coast groups before he made that song. Then on top of that Cube borrows "So what u saying"..So Thats 2 EPMD samples on 1 song...Mind you...Cube is #1 solo west coast around this time. If those whistles were such a "west coast" sound then why did the #1 solo jack 2 songs from East Coast epmd ? Why didnt he jack Above The Law with the whistles? You dont even hear those whistles on NWAs "100 Miles" which was around the same time. Nor do u hear them on Cubes first album or his EP. The only west coast song he borrowed was "Humpty Dance" which has those "gangsat boogie" claps....But again....we already pointed out EPMD brought that gangsta boogie sound to the forefront.

By the time u get to MC Breeds "Future in ya frontin" do u have both..the gangsta boogie...and the whistles...But this is just a combination of More Bounce and The Funky Worm sample. And I already discussed the root of both of those samples

:popcorn:

educate em breh. even tho west >>>, i always thought epmd was the og of this shyt.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES

Lets go 1990.

LISTEN CLOSELY

THIS IS FROM 1987

IT SAMPLES THE SAME ZAPP SONG

THE UNDERSGROUND LA SCENE WAS ALL UP ON THAT ZAPP SHIIT WAY BEFORE ERICK SERMON

THAT WAS THE GO-TO SOUND BEIN USED IN THE HIP-HOP CLUBS IN THE MID-80S

U REALLY THOUGHT THAT SHIIT STARTED WIT EPMD? LOL

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
:popcorn:

educate em breh. even tho west >>>, i always thought epmd was the og of this shyt.

LMAO

I LITERALLY JUST POSTED 2 SONGS PRE EPMD THAT SAMPLED THE ZAPP MORE BOUNCE JOINT FIRST

CATS WAS RAPPIN TO ZAPP IN EVERY UNDERGROUND LA CLUB IN THE MID-80S

EPMD MAYBE TOOK IT TO THE MAINSTREAM, BUT THAT WAS A STAPLE LOCAL THING WAY BEFORE THAT

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@Sccit

MI0001522388.jpg

1991 Priority put this album out

Look @ the playlist...its all West Coast gangsta shyt except 1 song. The last song. EPMD

Various - Straight From The Hood

Now ask yourself. How random is it that after all that west coast gangster shyt they end it with an old ass EPMD song? EPMD had newer songs so why this one?

And is it a coincidence that both Cube and Dr Dre would jack the same sample that EPMD sampled first? By the time Stranded On Death Row dropped that beat was already claimed by EPMD. So thats Dr Dre taking an old ass beat EPMD already used for his classic Chronic album. And u wanna deny EPMDs influence on the west?

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
LISTEN CLOSELY

THIS IS FROM 1987

IT SAMPLES THE SAME ZAPP SONG

THE UNDERSGROUND LA SCENE WAS ALL UP ON THAT ZAPP SHIIT WAY BEFORE ERICK SERMON

THAT WAS THE GO-TO SOUND BEIN USED IN THE HIP-HOP CLUBS IN THE MID-80S

U REALLY THOUGHT THAT SHIIT STARTED WIT EPMD? LOL

epmd brought it to the average heads ear.