To this day, I'm the ONLY person to say "Big Papa" by Biggie was blatantly biting west coast sound.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
nah you ain't the only one because lord jamar said the same exact thing on dj vlad around last year

and i guess it's about that g funk "whistle" on the hook as opposed to the sample itself, anybody know the proper term for that shyt? think the musical intro of menace to society, i call it a whistle for lack of a better term.....
Menace intro is hard af :bryan:

LiIZaneFan1978

2PAC BACK
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nah you ain't the only one because lord jamar said the same exact thing on dj vlad around last year

and i guess it's about that g funk "whistle" on the hook as opposed to the sample itself, anybody know the proper term for that shyt? think the musical intro of menace to society, i call it a whistle for lack of a better term.....

synth or synthesizer

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
That I know of.

I was saying it when this song first dropped. Nobody I knew was able to pick up on it.

And so was Hypnotized, and obviously going back to Cali. I think the whole east vs. west hurt Big inside because he had love for L.A. and wanted to be accepted. And its probably why he went back not log after Pac got killed because he probably figured there would be unity on both sides.

It’s openly obvious that Diddy was employing people to bring the Dr. Dre sample formula to life but he used 80s hits instead of 70s jams

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
and i guess it's about that g funk "whistle" on the hook as opposed to the sample itself,

But when u go back to 88. Those whistles were PE first. Eazy E's song "radio" samples "Rebel without A Pause" which means Dre was influenced by Bomb Squad. So by the time u get to those whistles on "Dope Man" we already know the PE influence is there. These 2 songs were big in hip hop and came before Dopeman. For further proof of how big Rebel Without A Pause was...go back to that Combat Jack episide were he had Chuck D and listen to how passionate Combat Jack gets when describing how "Rebel..." was when it hit the streets.

Add the fact that Cube said out of his owm mouth that F The Police was influenced by Bring The Noise and that they were trying to sound like PE. I'm not gonna even mention EPMDs influence on that west coast sound. Bottom line..the west coast sound was just a remix of the east coast sounds that we abandoned.

:ehh:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not only that but "juicy" too. Even "one more chance" to an extent was west coast influenced.
And that's what they were going for since the west was running shyt back then.
But the rest of the album was strictly grimy east coast shyt.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
But when u go back to 88. Those whistles were PE first. Eazy E's song "radio" samples "Rebel without A Pause" which means Dre was influenced by Bomb Squad. So by the time u get to those whistles on "Dope Man" we already know the PE influence is there. These 2 songs were big in hip hop and came before Dopeman.

those PE songs with whistle are not same as those synthy lines you get in G-Funk or Dope Man

KlinicalCynic

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Mile High

That funky worm :wow:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
those PE songs with whistle are not same as those synthy lines you get in G-Funk or Dope Man

:stopitslime:

You're playing stupid. Dope Man wasn't Synth...it was a sample.Just like PEs "rebel without a pause" was a sample. So u trying to intergrate sample and synth right now is u reaching. PE sampled first..Dre sampled after. Dre didnt synth shyt on Dope Man and u know it.

This is the sample right here.....Dre didnt play this on no fuking keyboard, he sampled it.

timestamped....

The synths on nikkaz4Life came after all of this......

Last edited:

old boy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
But when u go back to 88. Those whistles were PE first. Eazy E's song "radio" samples "Rebel without A Pause" which means Dre was influenced by Bomb Squad. So by the time u get to those whistles on "Dope Man" we already know the PE influence is there. These 2 songs were big in hip hop and came before Dopeman. For further proof of how big Rebel Without A Pause was...go back to that Combat Jack episide were he had Chuck D and listen to how passionate Combat Jack gets when describing how "Rebel..." was when it hit the streets.

Add the fact that Cube said out of his owm mouth that F The Police was influenced by Bring The Noise and that they were trying to sound like PE. I'm not gonna even mention EPMDs influence on that west coast sound. Bottom line..the west coast sound was just a remix of the east coast sounds that we abandoned.

yeah man it's the same exact sample they used for terminator x on the edge of panic, unpopular opinion but i actually prefer that over rebel. while we at it bomb squad also did a similar whistle/horn wail on cold lampin with flavor too

good analysis you made there with the epmd connection because i honestly never gave it much thought. e double was doing zapp and p funk when the west coast was just climbing outta the arabian prince techno sound into the hard looped drums and soul samples we heard on straight outta compton & eazy duz it

synth or synthesizer

thanks bro i feel ridiculous for not knowing that lol :salute:

Menace intro is hard af :bryan:

you ain't never lie good god that shyt is crack. i legit used to kick my horrible freestyle rhymes over that shyt because it was so crazy lol. made me wanna get a jheri curl, flannel and call everybody locster. straight gafflin these fools

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

you're making 2 separate arguments. Hip Hop started in New York so of course all other area's are going to be influenced by the initial sound and style, but The Chronic changed the game. It separated the west coast from the east.

And NWA/Ice Cube 1988-92 circa sound nothing like what they did for the rest of the 90's.

And Hypnotized sounds similar to

It's just sped up without the whistle