To help combat overheating Sony will have game specific updates

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They didn't go by off the shelf price, they go by bulk. They do this every generation and the estimates are always spot on.
nikka you the one talking about we can estimate prices based on the price of the parts :dahell:

a GPU with that many more CUs cost a lot more money. That’s why Sony went with the one they did.

Literally everything we know about the tech in both of them is that the Xbox cost more to produce. Even if we go with your bulk argument Sony would get the cheaper price because they would make/sell more consoles.

But we are supposed to ignore all that cause.......reasons??:stopitslime:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
?
They've been working on the PS5 cooling hardware for over two years. This notion that they haphazardly overclocked the system to match Xbox is pure fanfiction. The last known leak was the PS5 was planned for 2019 and was moved to 2020 for launch preparation and this was from January 2019, a full year before the Series X specs was announced.

If they been designing it for over two years and we only got wind of these specs early this year/late last year, how can you say Sony designed the PS5 as a reaction to the Xbox when no one would've really known about it yet? Is it ever possible that they have devs they speak to and people whom they design a target around based off of feedback and not just forum browsing and reacting to leaks? It's like you guys think Ootori was on Resetera, saw a leak and quickly called Mark Cerny in terrible english "Za X box has reaked!" and they started changing it up right then and there :mjlol:.

This video talks about this.

tl;dr No, The PS5 wasn't just boosted as a reaction to Xbox.

You dudes evangelize the Xbox hardware so much you create stan narratives in your mind that is sound if you don't really think about it.:mjlol:

Do you expect Sony to say "hey guys we did this because of Xbox"
Maybe you are forgetting Xbox said 2yrs ago they would have the most powerful next gen system. So Sony was aware 2yrs ago they ps5 wasn't gonna be as powerful.

CHECKMATE MY nikka :ufdup:
Now to showcase how the universe works, this article from 2018 ends with quote...
E3 2018: Report Claims Next-Gen Xbox 'Scarlet' is Coming With This Key Focus
At the same E3 expo, the new Xbox may have also received its first game announcements, as Bethesda took the wraps off Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI.
:ohhh:
Yeah, they spent all that money to create a unique architecture with AMD and cooling solution just to fool you in the 4th and have you ask questions when they are simply giving you the information on their system.

I'm glad we have people like you asking questions. :mjlol:
As opposed to people like you deflecting like if we're not both consumers?
It's what they ended up with once they realized they had to run high frequencies to keep up with the series x, the ps5 will generate much more heat, they didn't have any other options.

The fans will work as normal when the system gets too hot, and it will also collect data so it can update the system to learn when the system is working harder so the fan can be more dynamic.

That's what's being explained in the article.
Yeah we covered that, and that's bullshyt because that's what the heat sensor is for. You don't need a human to make those adjustments, the sensor can easily do this. What's happening is the sensors are not doing their job so Sony is trying their best to prevent issues. This was not by design, this is a band-aid. They foresee a potential problem and this is a very extreme response to a problem they had to have discovered internally. You'd think they would just test and collect the data before it gets to you but if that's not possible without a delay? This is what it'll be for launch systems.

FROM MY EXPERIENCE, THIS IS HOW SONY WILL CARRY shyt AND PLAY DUMB. THEY NEVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS TBC...

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Do you expect Sony to say "hey guys we did this because of Xbox"
Maybe you are forgetting Xbox said 2yrs ago they would have the most powerful next gen system. So Sony was aware 2yrs ago they ps5 wasn't gonna be as powerful.

CHECKMATE MY nikka :ufdup:
Now to showcase how the universe works, this article from 2018 ends with quote...
E3 2018: Report Claims Next-Gen Xbox 'Scarlet' is Coming With This Key Focus

:ohhh:

As opposed to people like you deflecting like if we're not both consumers?

Yeah we covered that, and that's bullshyt because that's what the heat sensor is for. You don't need a human to make those adjustments, the sensor can easily do this. What's happening is the sensors are not doing their job so Sony is trying their best to prevent issues. This was not by design, this is a band-aid. They foresee a potential problem and this is a very extreme response to a problem they had to have discovered internally. You'd think they would just test and collect the data before it gets to you but if that's not possible without a delay? This is what it'll be for launch systems.

FROM MY EXPERIENCE, THIS IS HOW SONY WILL CARRY shyt AND PLAY DUMB. THEY NEVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS TBC...
giphy.gif

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
?
They've been working on the PS5 cooling hardware for over two years. This notion that they haphazardly overclocked the system to match Xbox is pure fanfiction. The last known leak was the PS5 was planned for 2019 and was moved to 2020 for launch preparation and this was from January 2019, a full year before the Series X specs was announced.

If they been designing it for over two years and we only got wind of these specs early this year/late last year, how can you say Sony designed the PS5 as a reaction to the Xbox when no one would've really known about it yet? Is it ever possible that they have devs they speak to and people whom they design a target around based off of feedback and not just forum browsing and reacting to leaks? It's like you guys think Ootori was on Resetera, saw a leak and quickly called Mark Cerny in terrible english "Za X box has reaked!" and they started changing it up right then and there :mjlol:.

This video talks about this.

tl;dr No, The PS5 wasn't just boosted as a reaction to Xbox.

You dudes evangelize the Xbox hardware so much you create stan narratives in your mind that is sound if you don't really think about it.:mjlol:

Breh, quit playing. This is the jedi mind trick that mark cerny is feeding people yet we are supposed to believe it.

Sony is working years on a more expensive cooling system for a system that has a lesser power quotient in gpu, ram and cpu than the competition, that doesn't need the new age cooling system BTW. That makes NO sense. The only way that is remotely feasible is if Sony got hit with the men in black pen and forgot how to make consoles. 9.2tf is the base and 10.28tf is the max in boost mode. There is a reason why Microsoft screamed to from the rooftops about fixed clocks.

Cerny can say what he wants to say but he is too damn smart for me to be believing that he is responsible for initially designing a console that by only boosting clocks, that it is only going to come within ~2tf~ lower than its direct competition in the same time frame. That's just the technical side.

From the business side, 399 worked for Sony. In a perfect world, they'd prefer the ps5 to be 399. I'll just say what I've always thought. Sony gave Cerny a 399 limit and he was going to knock it out of the park like he did the PS4. Somewhere along the way, they realized the power wasn't enough. RDNA has headroom for frequency increases like smart shift so this was an option that Sony took. I'm glad that option is there. The ps5 we see is more competent than a 399 console but not fully encompassing of a 499 console should be if that was the original vision for it. The XSX was built to be a 499 console from the design stage. These aren't two consoles coming out two years apart, they release two days apart so all of the ram options that Microsoft had access too, Sony had it too. The same goes for gpu and cpu and for the three main things that makes general computing faster, Microsoft has the more expensive version. What seems to be apparent is that everyone got caught of guard by the power delta of the XSX.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Breh, quit playing. This is the jedi mind trick that mark cerny is feeding people yet we are supposed to believe it.

Sony is working years on a more expensive cooling system for a system that has a lesser power quotient in gpu, ram and cpu than the competition, that doesn't need the new age cooling system BTW. That makes NO sense. The only way that is remotely feasible is if Sony got hit with the men in black pen and forgot how to make consoles. 9.2tf is the base and 10.28tf is the max in boost mode. There is a reason why Microsoft screamed to from the rooftops about fixed clocks.

Cerny can say what he wants to say but he is too damn smart for me to be believing that he is responsible for initially designing a console that by only boosting clocks, that it is only going to come within ~2tf~ lower than its direct competition in the same time frame. That's just the technical side.

From the business side, 399 worked for Sony. In a perfect world, they'd prefer the ps5 to be 399. I'll just say what I've always thought. Sony gave Cerny a 399 limit and he was going to knock it out of the park like he did the PS4. Somewhere along the way, they realized the power wasn't enough. RDNA has headroom for frequency increases like smart shift so this was an option that Sony took. I'm glad that option is there. The ps5 we see is more competent than a 399 console but not fully encompassing of a 499 console should be if that was the original vision for it. The XSX was built to be a 499 console from the design stage. These aren't two consoles coming out two years apart, they release two days apart so all of the ram options that Microsoft had access too, Sony had it too. The same goes for gpu and cpu and for the three main things that makes general computing faster, Microsoft has the more expensive version. What seems to be apparent is that everyone got caught of guard by the power delta of the XSX.
I believe the term the leakers used was STAGGERING :banderas:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

All facts. There's zero chance Sony designed they're system running to the brink needing half the (big ass) chassis to be a heatsink/pipe system, and STILL have a power gap like that. Sony got arrogant again, and got caught with their pants down.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

:mjlol: You clearly want to believe what you want to believe breh. i'm not surprised that your outlook on this is a bit colored by MSFT bias.

You're still repeating the misinformation that the PS5 is only 9.2TF in "base mode" and 10.3TF "boost" mode. Mark Cerny clearly stated this is not the case and this was spoken about months ago but go on, the PS5 is just 9.2TF on a good day and 10.3TF on it's best day. You're taking basic PC hardware design logic and applying it to the PS5 as if it's a 1 to 1 comparison and it's not.

I linked the video, you could watch it and learn a bit more but you seem dead set on Sony just "overclocking out of reaction because reasons!" and not anything else. It's simple, they designed the PS5 to be cheaper whilst creating a cooling system based around the high clock speeds. Not this "Oh they got caught with their pants down and Phil was peeking through the peep hole!" story you're cooking up lol.

DF's comments mirror this:

The teardown ends with a look at the ginormous heatsink and a meaty 350W power supply (expect actual power draw to be a lot, lot lower). It's pretty clear what Sony's strategy is here with hardware design: to keep costs manageable with a small processor, but increase performance by blasting it with a high level of power, diverted to CPU and GPU frequencies as needed. Dissipating the heat is all down to what I'd consider an almost Toyota-like philosophy - not to reinvent the wheel (in the way that Microsoft has with Series X perhaps) but to rely upon what works and to add some extra flourishes where needed. The price we pay comes in terms of sheer volume: this is clearly going to be a huge console, relatively speaking, but the advantage to Sony is a considerable reduction in build cost.

PlayStation 5 teardown: how Sony balanced build cost with performance

This isn't something done on the fly, it was designed years ago.

Claiming they vigorously overclocked it due to a knee jerk response defies technological processes and planning and assumes these things are done overnight and at best mere weeks/months after this supposed "leak".

It's a specious argument that sounds good to the laymen.

Time stamped.

The PS5 has been the target of I feel like deliberate concern trolling and FUD spreading.
Every few weeks some nonsense comes out that if you don't look too hard it sounds legitimate.

Last edited:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
You clearly want to believe what you want to believe. I linked the video, you could watch it and learn a bit more but you seem dead set on Sony just "overclocking out of reaction".
I don't believe otherwise, but, it this was designed like that intentionally, that's worse, as this would be a serious case of mis-engineering. There's no way they wanted it to be that hot and power hungry, to where they have to make cooling profiles for games case by case.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't believe otherwise, but, it this was designed like that intentionally, that's worse, as this would be a serious case of mis-engineering. There's no way they wanted it to be that hot and power hungry, to where they have to make cooling profiles for games case by case.
Automatic optimization is forward thinking. A PS5 isn't a PC and optimization = something that happens over time. This isn't a bad thing. I think people should just let the console come out and do it's thing as opposed to faux concern.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Automatic optimization is forward thinking. A PS5 isn't a PC and optimization = something that happens over time. This isn't a bad thing. I think people should just let the console come out and do it's thing as opposed to faux concern.
:shaq2:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The PS5 design is deliberate.

They set out from jump to squeeze as much power as possible out of relatively “cheap” parts. They’ve talked about it extensively at this point.

Microsoft approach wasn’t so budget conscious they wanted the most powerful period, which is why they also developed the S along side it.