Tips on high blood pressure? The bottom number is 3 digits which I've never had happen before

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Subs.

You gotta watch the diet. I look like I'm in phenomenal shape, hit the gym 5-6 times a week. Found out I had high cholesterol.
What’s the number? And high cholesterol is overrated by itself. The ratio of ldl/hdl and triglycerides/hdl are better indicators of health. You want to be below 2 for optimal health and below 5 for good health.

Im talking to the room agsin

Fun fact. High cholesterol was a score above 300 before the food industry started funding “study’s”.

Another fun fact. The lower your cholesterol score, the more likely you are to have a cardiac event. Don’t take my word for it, look it up :sas2:

Dap and rep me after you guys do your own research

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
What’s the number? And high cholesterol is overrated by itself. The ratio of ldl/hdl and triglycerides/hdl are better indicators of health. You want to be below 2 for optimal health and below 5 for good health.

Im talking to the room agsin

Fun fact. High cholesterol was a score above 300 before the food industry started funding “study’s”.

Another fun fact. The lower your cholesterol score, the more likely you are to have a cardiac event. Don’t take my word for it, look it up :sas2:

Dap and rep me after you guys do your own research
Interesting...I don't have it in front of me, but it was like 200 or low 200's late 2022. I got blood work back in May and got it down to 140 in about 6 months...need my check-up, but the doctor and the office were janky as shyt so I haven't gotten my blood checked recently and the doc doesn't even work in the office anymore amd i haven't seen anyone since May of last year. Of course they prescribed me a statin that I can't wait to get off of. I keep trying to find a new PCP. Doc was acting like I need to be on it permanently.

I was always skeptical, because I drank a lot, but my day-to-day diet wasn't that bad. And my blood pressure was standard 120/80, give or take 5 points. But I am legit built like an NFL running back and I'm pushing 40, hit the gym 5-6 times a week, drink about a half gallon of water a day.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Interesting...I don't have it in front of me, but it was like 200 or low 200's late 2022. I got blood work back in May and got it down to 140 in about 6 months...need my check-up, but the doctor and the office were janky as shyt so I haven't gotten my blood checked recently and the doc doesn't even work in the office anymore amd i haven't seen anyone since May of last year. Of course they prescribed me a statin that I can't wait to get off of. I keep trying to find a new PCP. Doc was acting like I need to be on it permanently.

I was always skeptical, because I drank a lot, but my day-to-day diet wasn't that bad. And my blood pressure was standard 120/80, give or take 5 points. But I am legit built like an NFL running back and I'm pushing 40, hit the gym 5-6 times a week, drink about a half gallon of water a day.
The drinking will reck your triglycerides and throw off your ratios. And how you look doesn’t matter. That’s why labs are important. The blood doesn’t lie. Although, It’s just a snapshot in time.

I’m 6ft 205 built like a DB, I have been since my freshman year in college. I’ve never been healthier but I looked healthier in my 20s :yeshrug:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
My diet isn't great

I thought that since I go to the gym a lot and lift heavy, I could eat whatever
:francis:
it might be hereditary

i eat like shyt but the last time i used the blood pressure thing at the gym it read:

sys - 133
dia - 78
pulse - 105

that was toward the end of the work out. talk to a doc breh

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Because early detection has better outcomes and I like to track trends. I do what I read. If something is causing harm it’ll only do it for 6 months.

Fortunately, I get a thorough physical annual paid for by my company. EKG, chest X-rays, hearing, pulmonary and blood.

I pay for one on my own 6 months after that. Welcome to Own Your Labs - Own Your Labs is unbelievably affordable and you don’t need a doc to order your labs.

Shifting gears a bit.

if anyone is thinking about trying any of the interventions in this thread you really need to talk to your doctor because if you’re on medication, your prescription will be too strong for you when you start seeing improvements.

I know a diabetic that improved her score so much so fast that the meds had her hallucinating. All because she didn’t want to tell her vegan doc she was on carnivore. Eventually she came clean, he lowered her prescription, then he dropped her as a patient.
Good look, those prices are pretty good. Crazy how the vegan doc dropped your friend, she’s probably better off.

#BOTHSIDES

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
WzY9hiZO3RvV.jpg

I work out and I'm physically stronger than I've ever been

But I have been stressed and barely sleeping

My sister is 25 and she's slim and had a stroke, so it's not really just a flabbynsick thing. Not looking good for me

Goodness! As a brotha with high blood pressure,I'm up in here for answers as well.

I’m here for answers and tips as well

My diet isn't great

I thought that since I go to the gym a lot and lift heavy, I could eat whatever
:francis:

I have the same issue breh. I work out and eat whatever I want so my cholesterol levels ain’t great.
It's probably been stated but cleaning up your diet is the most important. If you are high risk then meds are fine for a temp solution. meds and high BP can affect your erections. You don't want to depend on that for your life.
Beetroot smoothies daily will help to reduce your levels

Gotta cut out or significantly reduce fried food and salty food, junk food, flamin hot cheetos. I know a lot of cuisine uses a lot of salt.
try to take 10k steps a day. drink water, cut out soda

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
Maybe we can share some recipes in here as well? For motivation!

Just recently I had oatmeal(with water), mixed in some sliced bananas, hemp hearts, PB2 and spoonful of raw honey. Not something I normally eat I don't normally ever keep some of these ingredients. But I get some protein in, while getting some fibre in as well and keeping the sodium down.

BunchePark

Coli N Calisthenics
Daps
Reppin
Broward
go to your doctor first thing at the start of the year (I been doing this since my 30th bday I'm 41)

get a full workup and find out what you need to work on then go back in 6 months and keep working on it

get familiar with your stats and what the base levels need to be and work on reaching them and then lowering them

your blood pressure
your cholesterol (hdl and ldl aka good and bad)
your A1C
your sodium
your C02 levels

and one other thing buy a BP monitor.....I got one from Target for maybe 30-40 bucks and track it daily

I'll take my pressure in the morning, sometimes after working out.....shyt i'll even take that bytch when I'm fresh out the p*ssy cause I be curious 😭

get like a 140/95 and tell wifey "girl that p*ssy be fie!!!!" 😭😭😭

nah but in all seriousness WE are works in progress....your story not over yet...watch how shyt change by December all you gotta do is try

#BOTHSIDES

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
go to your doctor first thing at the start of the year (I been doing this since my 30th bday I'm 41)

get a full workup and find out what you need to work on then go back in 6 months and keep working on it

get familiar with your stats and what the base levels need to be and work on reaching them and then lowering them

your blood pressure
your cholesterol (hdl and ldl aka good and bad)
your A1C
your sodium
your C02 levels

and one other thing buy a BP monitor.....I got one from Target for maybe 30-40 bucks and track it daily

I'll take my pressure in the morning, sometimes after working out.....shyt i'll even take that bytch when I'm fresh out the p*ssy cause I be curious 😭

get like a 140/95 and tell wifey "girl that p*ssy be fie!!!!" 😭😭😭

nah but in all seriousness WE are works in progress....your story not over yet...watch how shyt change by December all you gotta do is try
I heard that it’s best to measure your blood pressure when you first wake up and haven’t eaten.

Food elevates your BP
Also when taking your BP try to have your feet on the floor

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
I heard that it’s best to measure your blood pressure when you first wake up and haven’t eaten.

Food elevates your BP
Also when taking your BP try to have your feet on the floor

I read that you gotta wait an hour or 2 after waking up. I also had a lowered BP reading at 2pm after going to the gym and eating lunch, compared to when I tested at 9am

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Don't know if it's already been stated, but I learned on the Coli Years ago that the SUN has a lot to do with lowering our blood pressure. We gotta get more of it, kinda difficult RN with the weather and shyt though

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I just want to add one thing if you go to the doctor you can get your medical records sent to you so then you keep track of your blood work.
like your cholesterol etc.
They will mail it to you for free or you can go pick it up.
You have a right to your medical record. You can literally say I want my medical records and they have to give it you, but you will have to fill out
a release form or they just might ask your permission on the phone.