This Hartford Public High School grad can’t read. Here’s how it happened.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bingo.

Really? Since I got you thinking about it - really think about it. What are the odds she's used anything other than a device running Apple or Android her entire life, and more than likely specifically just one? :sas1:

And I don't even know what we're talking about any more tbh. Your original statement "are we moving to a place where reading isnt a necessity like that" - absolutely not. We are nowhere near that point. Just because she got through these things has not made reading not a necessity. It just means you can get these things without being able to read, meaning the system is broken. She is a broken person. She can't use these things to function in the world, not even in a normal college setting. She was formed in the cracks of a tragic moment in human development when the world went haywire and kids just got pushed through. Maybe we disagree in what we're talking about? She clearly needs to be able to read. If she couldn't - she'd continue getting through life with these shortcuts.

My point is, due to two huge factors that educators are now aware of after the fact (devices effect on learning/ covid school from home era), there's been serious damage done to a generation and we don't even know the sprawling effects yet.
It seems like we mostly agree. Bolded is my point. COVID only exacerbated an existing problem. What is being done to fix it? Nothing. So why wouldnt it continue to get worse? And with the rise of AI and ubiquity of technology and how its only getting easier to use and we are becoming more dependent on it, I dont think its to far fetched to think we could get to a point where reading is no longer the necessity that it has been.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
So you didn’t open a book in front of your children until they got in school? Didn’t read to them or nothing?

Yes. The oldest was reading at 4… but it took a group effort of not just us as parents, but other family members contributing as well…. To ask a single mom to spend ten or more hours a week on their kids pre-kindergarten education is a tough ask…

Daps
Reppin
NULL
What does your question have to do with anything regarding what I said or her situation?

Why would I answer your random question that doesn't pertain to anything being discussed?

It doesn’t look like you’re comparing apples to apples or making a fair comparison in general

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
You're focusing on the "Getting into College" part and not anything else - the computers got her into college. Now she can't do anything. She can't computer her way through college, or most of anything in life. ALL the computers did for her was the homework. The actual person cannot contribute to society now at all. She's actually a drain on resources.

And let me be clear - when we say use computers - understand that because she's illterate she can't even properly use google to search for and identify information. She can't really use a "computer", she can use the operating system on her phone due to practice and memory. But hand her a different phone and watch what would happen.
This bytch took tests in class right? It says she has "basic math" skills.

I am not sure what level basic math skills are but I am assuming for a more competitive school or even a state school they would expect an Algebra class on her transcript.
So you saying ol'girl had her laptop to help her when she was taking tests? WTF?

Also ol'girl has hand fatigue but I am going to guess she has no problems typing shyt up.
Last I checked fingers are attached to the hand.

I call bullshyt on this whole thing.

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
A lot of graduates can’t read. They’re all on FB, typing utter nonsense.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Ortiz, who came to Hartford from Puerto Rico with her family when she was young, struggled with language and other challenges along the way. But a confluence of circumstances, apparent apathy and institutional inertia pushed her haphazardly through the school system, according to Ortiz, her attorney and district officials.
If she don't give a damn we don't give a fuk

JerseyFinest!

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Trenton, New Jerz
Was English their second language?
What kind of jobs were they applying for?

Some English was their second language. Which would be the norm for somebody like that.

I also helped a few, who went to school with me and were AA.

Every time it was a retail themed job they were applying for

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
just as I thought, it’s a grift

Keep in mind that these laws put in place to make sure kids with disabilities have the same opportunities probably work 99% of the time but one family decided to take advantage and now we are probably going to see repeals that’ll hurt students who actually want to give effort.

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have tutored kids like her in the past and you would not believe how some families will give zero support. Even activaly sabotaging the child.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
just as I thought, it’s a grift

Keep in mind that these laws put in place to make sure kids with disabilities have the same opportunities probably work 99% of the time but one family decided to take advantage and now we are probably going to see repeals that’ll hurt students who actually want to give effort.

What fukken surprise? I could see the grift, why couldn't other people?